Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: HPI Savage Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolsp33d View Post
Toyo. Thats a beast mate! thanks for sharing the pics! Did you use the savy g box? been brainstorming ideas for the 'tub' so to speak, and weather to lock out the savy g/box or use a 600 reduction unlocked.. if you have any body off shots you can pm me would be greatly appreciated. You used Revo shafts? again thanks for sharing

It's not my build. It's old school ORCRC. I think Jeff started to convert his Savage starting in 2004 and finished it mid-2005. It is one of the cleanest builds I have ever seen. The axle lockouts are hard to spot but are super tough. It's based roughly on our old SAS kit for the Maxx trucks that we sold back in 2004/2005.

What I remember about the truck...
-Savage axles
-Arrow shaft links
-E-Maxx transmission
-RCRockGear Rockraider chassis
-Single 55-turn motor
-LST tires

I doubt I could even get Jeff to sell the truck for under $700. It's very, very nice. I'll see if I can have him dig up the old images.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
a what crawler?? any links to this?? certainly sounds interesting...
Associated J2-TT

pretty sweet setup he has figured out.
I like it!
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

thanks for the link mate! Now that is a nice shafty!! still no updates on mine but have a potential buyer for the bike so fingers crossed!
Foolsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

one thought that came to me is maybe mounting the motors right above orto the side of the gearbox input shaft
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

also, how much flex do you have?
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminsavage View Post
also, how much flex do you have?
should of edited your original post there matey...

But to answer quiet simply.....

Not a whole lot as its just two diffs and a tub with no links or susp. atm still need to trim the blocks..

for the time iv locked the savy box in first and am considering loading the one way in the g/box with locktite... hopefully it holds.. if not guess i'll just have to figure out something else... any suggestions!!??

Had a few brews and a bit of a toke and come up with a chassis/tub idea.. at the moment its just a rough guide but somehow these things have a way of staying if they work. lol.

Also had a few thoughts/ideas on shock mounting for the diffs, re using the savy sus.tower.. slightly modified...

slowly slowly goes the build, apperently good things take time... maybe i should slow down!??! lol...

Anywayz thanks for the input guys, am taking everything onboard and appreciate all the help! Cheers!

Foolsp33d.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Bit of an update... got some link material and made up some temporary links..Some to keep some to mock up with, in the process of working out where they best fit, but generally the pics will speak for themselfs...

The body on pic is obviously a mock up, but gives a basic idea of wheelbase center clearance and layout..

Any suggestions? more info to take on board!?

question for the board: what is the minimum length of revo driveshafts? (fully compressed) and fully extended(not lengthened)?? Thanks in advance people!

NOW COMMENT AND GIVE ME SOME MOTIVATION!!!

So many "lookers", not many "do'ers"......
Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

should have sold it as a complete "racing" Savvy and bought something better to start with i.e. Wheely King...

looked like you would have got enough $$ from the complete unit seeing it had all that bling...

I think the reason so many start and dont finish is that they realise they made a mistake destroying a perfectly good Savvy.. and should have bought a Clod

oh well... good luck mate.. and you know I am just joking right
landy_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
should have sold it as a complete "racing" Savvy and bought something better to start with i.e. Wheely King...
LoL, as a 'racing sav.' it was a pretty basic setup.. no donk, original tvps(not x or LCG) offset rims(in pics) guess I call it a racing sav, as it had a mid tank mod done and the previous owner raced it a couple of times... basically it..

Quote:
looked like you would have got enough $$ from the complete unit seeing it had all that bling...
The BLING is ALL mine.. purchased originally for MY basher, but never got around to fitment. so it needed a home and what better place than on a rock machine!

Quote:
I think the reason so many start and dont finish is that they realise they made a mistake destroying a perfectly good Savvy.. and should have bought a Clod
cant destroy a perfectly good savy! its the beauty of them!! DID consider the clod option.. same as I considered a Landy before the Zuki...

Landy= initial purchase price, parts are exy, 3.5lit drinks juice, lucas elecs SUCK, I like a clean(oil free d/way)
Zuki= cheap to buy, parts readily avail, 1.3 is oh so kind on the hip pocket, elecs havnt fried(yet-touchwood) dosnt leak oil.... well not as much as my old RR! lol.

Clod: two motors(no choice), exy parts, Plastic parts(mostly), Narrow wheel track, yada yada yada
Shaftie: Single or Twin Motor, range of red. boxes avail, life like torque twist(hopefully not) savy bits I had around and have spares of IF they break.

Quote:
oh well... good luck mate.. and you know I am just joking right
hehehe no wuckers mate, will make sure i got my snatch strap should we cross paths out bush!

Last edited by Foolsp33d; 07-17-2007 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
hehehe no wuckers mate, will make sure i got my snatch strap should we cross paths out bush! :grin:
I don't know what you just said but if it was on the menu in a hor house in amsterdam, I would order it!

lookin good, I like still like it and am anxious to see how she turns out!
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote