Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Integy MSR10 Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Integy MSR10 Shocks

Is anyone running the Integy MSR10 internal spring shocks? I really like the looks, especially because they are green, and they can be ran as droop or standard shocks. There's very little info on the board about them, and only seen one rig with them. Anyone? Anyone?

2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have them and have played with them a little bit. I am having problems tuning them with oil. The are either hydrolocked or air is inthem.

They are nice though...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

They look awesome! Never seen them before... cool!
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Internal springs?
TunaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I just got thes instock and they look pretty good. I need to get a set and put oil in them and see how they do on the truck I have green blue and silver
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

RPP - YGPM

I just noticed that you had them on your store.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMaxx View Post
Internal springs?
Yeah - internal springs that can be set up for droop or standard.
Still looking for feedback on them though.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Guys,
Mine have been sitting on my bench...no time to hook them up. I did play with oil in them. It is tough to tune them. The way they are set up is they have two disks with holes and then a solid disk. The problem I ran into was if you put the oil in them, like a normal shock, there was no where for it to go so it would hydrolock. If you put less oil in you had a function of air in the shock. I think you need to go with a thick oil just to dampen it but use the internal spring as the main support.

It comes with two size springs. A heavy one that will hold the shock open and a real light one that is going to squat.

Like I said before, I have not run my rig yet with them but they look like the ultimate in Droop Shocks.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I'm not usually this harsh on r/c products, but, these shocks SUCK!

If you have them, and cannot get them to work, be sure to send them back as defective! Integy has to learn they cannot put out a product without testing it first! I've got 15 sets at the shop, and after 2 weeks of trading e-mails with Integy (mostly waiting for a response), I'm sending them all back as defective. I will not sell them to my customers.

They do not come with instructions. When I asked about that, Integy sent me Losi instructions (copied from a Losi manual). But, the internals are to different, so they cannot be built the same way. Either they hydraulic lock, or they have that chunky feeling from too much air. They need to be designed differently to work properly (they need a bleeder at the top, or a cap and bladder at the top).

Add to this that the springs are too stiff if setting it up sprung and the eyelet's have too much slop in them (over a 1/16 total travel before the shock moves) ...

I give these things a negative -10 on the rating scale!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Jake
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I have never been an Integy fan. I think the quality of all there products are lousy. They use cheap aluminum and many parts that claim to be aluminum are alloy. I know that many in the crawling community like Integy stuff, but in the nitro race scene, there stuff is garbage. I would stay away from all Integy products, especially there shocks. Integy shocks are notorious for leaking and not performing properly.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
...I would stay away from all Integy products, especially there shocks. Integy shocks are notorious for leaking and not performing properly.
I have to say that I have never had an issue with their shocks...other items, yes. I ran their shocks on me Savage for years with not one failure besides a bent shaft that was my fault. They have been the only shocks I have use and with a lot of success.

Now for these shocks...I am not sure yet. If I can get the tuning right...they would be good. I don't understand why there is no room for expansion...
Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Has any body tried to drill and tap a .050 buttonhead screw at the top like a bleeder screw. Like Yokomo used to do on there shock caps I use to do it all the time works great
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Rckcrwlr: I agree, we have had good luck with Integy shocks for the Savage, Revo, T-Maxx, etc ... It seems that Integy really doesn't do a great job of testing items before releasing them. So, they are either hit or miss. These shocks are a major miss.

As far as why there's no room for expansion in the shock, well it's not really expansion, but compression. As the shock shaft gets compressed and enters the shock body, it occupies volume. What gets compressed to allow this is air. Shock oil does not compress. Not enough air, and you get a hydraulic lock before the shock can compress all the way. Too much air and you get that chunky feeling of the piston going in and out of the air bubbles.

Because to the internal set up of the O-rings and plastic pieces and the facts that the spring is internal and the shock shaft is huge, it makes these all but impossible to build correctly. I know some guys will just deal with the air and say they are great ....

Justgoingslow: As mentioned above, a bleeder is exactly what they need. Or, a cap with a bladder. But, why take the chance of screwing up a brand new set of shocks that are supposed to work properly in the first place? LOL
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

JPH - have you tried running them with little to no oil? Like just enough to keep everything lubed?

Sucks to hear that these are that picky. I would have really liked to use them.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
JPH - have you tried running them with little to no oil? Like just enough to keep everything lubed?

Sucks to hear that these are that picky. I would have really liked to use them.
That is what I did and you get the feeling...

The only other thing would be to add the oil and then dump it out but you will not get any dampening. With the heavy springs in...it is going to bounce, the soft springs will just bottom out.

I think I am going to contact Integy on them....
Old 12-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'd let them know and see if they even say anything.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Got these shocks this morning from the wife for Christmas. I can see what your guys are saying about the springs they comes with, the soft is way too soft and the others were too firm. Luckily I had a set of TCS internal springs that are just perfect, IMO. I tried putting some fuel line in the shock body but it really limited the throw too much so I took some length off of the bottom pivot mount as well as the shaft threads that goes into it to match the AX10 shock length and throw (actually got more throw then stock). I changed the oil dampners to ones with the three holes and took out the second O ring and the seem to be just right. A tiny bit stiffer then the setup I had before but much smoother then stock AX10 shocks with Losi yellow springs. I think after a little use they will be really nice.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
I joined the Band!

I had the integy piggy backs on my savage and they were the biggest pieces of shit I have ever purchased. I tried to contact integy about there lousy product but they have just as lousy customer service. I havnt heard any posatives of any of there items besides there lathe motors. I think they just need to stick with them. I will NEVER buy another set of integy shocks..
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #19
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
I haven't heard any positives of any of there items besides there lathe motors. I think they just need to stick with them. I will NEVER buy another set of integy shocks..
I think there lathe motors suck myself. I have had two fail with very low run time on them. Both had the windings break. I will never buy an Integy product. I have been using Axiom brushed (3 of them) and a brushless revolver motor since with no issues.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Fark. Reading before buying would be a pretty good idea.

I just grabbed a set of eBay, because out of something like 15 pages, they were the only shocks not advertised as having "hard tuning springs" or the like, of HPI blacks on them...

Oh well, I'll see if I can get the little shits to work. 30wt, 1/3rd full, ya'll say...
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote