Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Scx10 2 or Traxxas Trx-4?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #1

Default Scx10 2 or Traxxas Trx-4?

I just recently got into crawling. I have a traxxas rustler... No I dont crawl with it lol. My father has a custom scx10 2 and I love that little truck. I can't decide on which one to get, there similar but not twins. I know all the features of both I just wanted some decent input on which one to get. I plan on participating in a local TTC that follows sorrca, I would like to be class 2 ( same as my dad).

Thank you for your input!
jksquires43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Scx10 2 or Traxxas Trx-4?

I have both of them and they are both great.

I would say the TRX-4 is the better deal. You get more for the money (inner fenders, portals, lockable diff, etc) but the possibility of failure for parts is higher I guess (more servos for example).

My SCX2 performs a little bit better, but it has better tires (Duratrax Deep Woods on SCX2 vs. A/T BF Goodrich on TRX-4) and the Cherokee body weights less. In the end, I can go to the same places with both trucks.

I am sure, you can make both of them perform on the same level.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #3
clm
Quarry Creeper

The features that the TRX-4 has would be expensive extras on the scx10II, but it depends on what your LHS has more parts for I would guess.

I ended up getting the TRX-4 because I liked the notion of getting everything at the beginning so I could try all the features, then in the future disable any that didn't work for me. The Scx10II didn't have enough to distinguish it from any other scaler, I could never decide which manufacturer's car to get previously as they were all seemed to be mostly clones of each other with more or less the same features... I guess I am just indecisive :p
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmTheTourist View Post
I have both of them and they are both great.

I would say the TRX-4 is the better deal. You get more for the money (inner fenders, portals, lockable diff, etc) but the possibility of failure for parts is higher I guess (more servos for example).

My SCX2 performs a little bit better, but it has better tires (Duratrax Deep Woods on SCX2 vs. A/T BF Goodrich on TRX-4) and the Cherokee body weights less. In the end, I can go to the same places with both trucks.

I am sure, you can make both of them perform on the same level.

My dad has some spare stock RTR scx10 2 tires, I think bf good wrench, would those perform any better that stock tires or should I go ahead and get some decent tires? I like crawling on loose dirt but most of the comps at my LHS will be more so rocks and a little dirt/ maybe mud
jksquires43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:09 AM   #5
clm
Quarry Creeper

Best thing would be to poll the crawlers there at your LHS, look at what they run. This is a good thing to do and will save you money in the long run. It is unlikely many people on this board run the rock course at your LHS so can only give you suggestions of what work for them in their area.. which may or may not work for you
Old 08-24-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have both and a 10.1 as well. I would go with the 10.2 until the aftermarket comes out with some support for the Trx 4. They're both nice trucks,but you better like wrenching if you get Trx 4,as it has several weak spots right out of the box. I was driving my unmodified 10.1 Rubicon yesterday and I think it's my favorite of the 3 Lol. Nostalgia I suspect Try some Proline Hyrax. I have had great success on many types of terrain across 6 different states with these tires and the foams provided work well IMO. Good luck and welcome aboard

Last edited by Mudflap84; 08-24-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Mudflap84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #7

I would have to say get the 10.2!

That way when you win the comp with your father as a competitor......he cant say that it was because of the truck

Love Dad
the Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I would pick the 10.2 over the TRX every time.

Don't get me wrong, I like the TRX, but the 10.2 has some distinct advantages.

10.2 crawls better. Without question. That LR body and the heavy roof rack really take away from the TRX's crawling ability. That said though, the TRX is a great trail truck.

10.2 has better aftermarket support. This is coming for the TRX I'm sure, but for now it's better for the 10.2

The TRX is electronically complicated. 4 servos and all the associated wiring can be daunting when it comes time to make repairs.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I would pick the 10.2 over the TRX every time.

Don't get me wrong, I like the TRX, but the 10.2 has some distinct advantages.

10.2 crawls better. Without question. That LR body and the heavy roof rack really take away from the TRX's crawling ability. That said though, the TRX is a great trail truck.

10.2 has better aftermarket support. This is coming for the TRX I'm sure, but for now it's better for the 10.2

The TRX is electronically complicated. 4 servos and all the associated wiring can be daunting when it comes time to make repairs.
Cheese of the Devil speaks the truth.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksquires43 View Post
My dad has some spare stock RTR scx10 2 tires, I think bf good wrench, would those perform any better that stock tires or should I go ahead and get some decent tires? I like crawling on loose dirt but most of the comps at my LHS will be more so rocks and a little dirt/ maybe mud
If you're comparing Axial RTR BTG All-Terrains to Traxxas TRX-4 tires, for my areas granite slabs and loose dirt, sand, they TRX4 tires work much better and are a great all around tire when used with some aftermarket foams such as Pro-Line or CI DW foams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
...That LR body and the heavy roof rack really take away from the TRX's crawling ability. That said though, the TRX is a great trail truck.

Bodies are easy to swap, I love the Defender look, but yes the body alone is about 2lbs.

Axial requires aftermarket support due to so many parts that need replaced to make it reliable and crawl well. There are already several companies making TRX4 aftermarket parts, brass portal covers, knuckle weights (both to compensate for heavy body), aluminum motor mount, etc.

Yes, Traxxas is electronically complicated, but mine has been reliable so far. The more lights, winches etc we add, the more complicated they can all become. Lockers can be permanently locked by several different means and the servos removed to reduce weight and complexity if you desire. I like the lockers and the included two speed tranny that gives great low speed crawling control and second gear wheelspeed as needed/wanted.

Which truck does the OP like better? Drive them both (LHS usually have demo Traxxas vehicle to test before buying), then decide. For me the far superior fit, finish, and plastic quality of the Traxxas is worth it. Axial's sloppy loose transmissions, axles, noodly plastic are all turn offs that have not been improved upon in the 10 or so years since Axial introduced their first crawler. Way past time for them resting on laurels, time to improve and innovate.

Edit: Here's one guy's list of simple TRX mods:
CoolRunning's simple TRX-4 mods

Last edited by Natedog; 08-24-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
clm
Quarry Creeper

A good portion of the body weight that people ding it for is the inner fenders and bracing they then turn around and praise it for... Hmm, that reminds me, I was going to pull them out of the body and weigh them
Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I bought a TRX4 today for something to play with while I build my 4th SCX10-II. I can say with confidence you can't go wrong with the SCX2, it's a great platform, as is the Vaterra Ascender. The TRX4 seems to be well thought out, the materials used seem high quality (better, than Axial from initial impression, and similar to Vaterra) and well manufactured, and the fit/finish is impressive. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but the body has got to go. Way too heavy and I'm not a Land Rover guy. Overall, all thre trucks will generally go the same places on the trail and while crawling. Pick one and run with it. If you absolutely hate it, which I kinda doubt, then sell it and try another platform. There is no "perfect" platform and they all have their quirks, but all three are certainly "great".

Last edited by LSXGMC; 08-24-2017 at 10:00 PM.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have both. Out of the box, I'd give the performance advantage to the 10.2. With a few mods like brass portal housings, I am pretty sure you could get the TRX performing as good as a modified 10.2. Traxxas quality is better than Axial's by a good bit.

Talking out of the box, both have rather large bodies with bumpers that stick out pretty far, but the TRX body is HEAVY and the rear bumper is low and sticks out far. Adding a bit of weight up front on the TRX and swapping out the body (and springs) helps A LOT. Most people swap bodies and bumpers anyway, so I have no problem doing that stuff. Playing with the 2 speed and unlocking the diffs is fun. I have confidence in the drivetrain. I have beat on it pretty hard with brushless power and it has handled everything perfectly (except for a broken motor pinion gear).

My 10.2s have a lot of runtime on them and have held up without a single failure. My RTRish one does have steel trans gears because the stock RTR gears are weak though. Axial's shocks and rod ends suck. My universals are really sloppy but still hanging on.

For a TTC, the TRX would be an interesting choice. Low gear is pretty low and high gear is pretty high.

I still plan on running my highly modified 10.2 as my class 2 comp rig next year, but if I ever get around to buying the brass portal housings for the TRX,I may run it once or twice just for the heck of it.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx10 2 or Traxxas Trx-4? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender MasteroFlego Newbie General 39 08-05-2017 08:08 AM
Traxxas TRX-4 Giveaway Locked Up Traxxas TRX-4 22 06-22-2017 07:44 PM
Traxxas TRX-4 Giveaway Locked Up Locked Up RC 15 06-13-2017 03:19 PM