Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender

I'm looking into getting my first crawler, and so far i am considering the 4 trucks mentioned above. my main use for it would be trailing, with some rock crawling, but i wouldn't mind being able to go fast in the future (maybe after a few upgrades, like a brushless motor). i would prefer a kit, as i would love to build one, unfortunately the Traxxas only comes as an RTR.

I live in Canada, but all prices in this thread should be in USD, as i can always find USD prices.

these are the electronics i would get with whichever rig i get (except for the TRX-4, as it's an RTR), i am open to suggestions:
  • Hobbywing WP 1080 - $40
  • Traxxas 6518 reciever (for my existing transmitter) - $40
  • Savox SW-1210SG - $82
  • Traxxas 21t titan 550 - $25
  • 3S battery (i only own 2S batteries) - ~$35
total cost for electronics: $222

costs for each truck (including electronics, not including sale prices):
  • SCX10-II - $572
  • RR10 Bomber - $581
  • Vaterra Ascender - $541
  • Traxxas TRX-4 - $514
so, which one should i get?
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
clm
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender

No one can really tell you which one to get, but looking at your list you have 3 trail trucks and a rock buggy as options.

First question, what are you wanting out of it? The answer there would likely either give the bomber the win or disqualify it since it is the black sheep of your list.

Next question, do you want to open the box and go or do you want to build it? If you want to build it the TRX is out of the running, but if you want RTR the others are only out if you don't want to deal with their RTR specs and electronics.

Almost the final question if you have not chosen the TRX, are you planning on going to any Axialfests? Nothing but the Bomber or SCX10II are allowed at them.

And last, which one do you like? Well I guess this could be first and only question, but *shrug*

Personally I went with the TRX because I wanted a trail truck and there was just not enough difference and uniqueness in the other options for me. I could never decide between Axial, Vaterra, etc as they were all too close to the same :/ Along came one with the selectable locking axles, the two speed stock, stock fender liners, portal axles.. and who's radio I can now also use with the revothing I built and my choice was clear... Yours on the other hand is still to be made

Oh... and you will still want to get that servo if you get the TRX-4, it's servo is dreadful.

Last edited by clm; 07-30-2017 at 11:33 PM.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:02 AM   #3

One thing to keep in mind with the Ascender is it uses only short batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Spend another $20 on the servo and get Holmes Hobbies' servo. I screwed around with savox for a few purchases and once I got the Holmes, nothing came close

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
excabswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:41 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you want to go fast the bomber is really the only good option. Otherwise read through a couple build threads on each of the other 3 trucks to get an idea about weak points and just which one you lie the most. For good or bad axial rigs will have the most aftermarket support ( although there is a fair amount for vaterra now too)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:32 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

If the TRX-4 is your cheapest option, I'd say go that route. I LOVE my Ascenders but for one, stuffing that 550 can motor in an Ascender will require you to use a different battery placement. The factory tray won't allow it. In the States the TRX-4 is $50 more than the Ascender and roughly the same price as the SCX10-II so if it's your cheapest option,it's s good one. I personally don't own one (yet) but a couple of the guys I follow in the Ascender section have and love their TRX-4's and are trying to convince me to buy one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:46 AM   #7

I own both a scx10ii and a bomber. My scx10ii runs a hh brushed motor that tops out between jogging and walking speed on 2s. This is perfect speed for scale trailing in my opinion. My bomber on the other had has a 3500kv pp and tops out at around 20. I use the scx10ii for strickly slow scale trailing/crawler and the bomber as a jack of all trades. If your looking for a rig that can crawl and handle some speed I suggest the bomber. It is quite stable for a solid axle truck. There is hardly any torque twist since the kit version includes a sway bar. It also crawls farely well. Just a realy enjoyable truck.
Megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 AM   #8

If you have any intention of going fast, like you said, the Bomber is the way to go. For scale crawling I'd choose the Ascender (or SCX10 II). For both speed and crawling out of the box go with the TRX-4.

I honestly don't think you'll be happy with a Bomber with a brushed motor.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I own all four of those trucks - if you want a kit, you can't really go wrong with any of the three that offer that option. That said, the Bomber is your only real go-fast option - but unless you're running behind it (like I do), doing loops gets stale quick.

Go for a crawler and get a good brushless setup, geared properly, from Tekin (RX4 and RocHD) or Castle (Mamba X and Slate) if you want to blip the throttle.

The TRX is an interesting animal. Not sure I like mine yet - and I've been trying hard to do so. The other three are pretty much guaranteed fun right out of the box with proper electronic choices. The steering servo in the TRX is woefully terrible and already felt like mine was giving up the ghost on run #2.

Seems like all your costs are within a few dollars of each other, and each offers a ton of aftermarket upgrades (except the TRX - for now). It's going to come down to what you want to do I guess!
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Well, since I'd have to replace the stock servo on the TRX-4 pretty quickly, and I'd go with the same servo as the other combos, that takes the cost of the TRX-4 to $596, making the 10.2 the second cheapest option. Which is fine, as I actually like it a lot.

So for the 10.2 kit, are there any bad weak points I should know about before I get it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Well, since I'd have to replace the stock servo on the TRX-4 pretty quickly, and I'd go with the same servo as the other combos, that takes the cost of the TRX-4 to $596, making the 10.2 the second cheapest option. Which is fine, as I actually like it a lot.

So for the 10.2 kit, are there any bad weak points I should know about before I get it?

Not really, the kit is great right out of the box. You could look at a set of bead locks though if you don't like glueing tires, it'll also give you some weight down low.

I'd suggest, build it and run it for a few packs. Decide on upgrades later, but the truck really doesn't NEED anything.
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Excellent, I'll post a build thread when I get it.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #13

Only thing the 10.2 kit needs out of the box is an aluminum servo horn, but that goes for all these kits.
Megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
Only thing the 10.2 kit needs out of the box is an aluminum servo horn, but that goes for all these kits.
thanks, that's the kind of thing i was asking about, i'll make sure i've got an aluminum servo horn when i buy it.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Excellent, I'll post a build thread when I get it.

So you're getting the 10.2? I'm confused I thought you said wanted to go fast later.Better add $30-$40 for a BEC if you plan on running a 3s or you might be buying 2 new servos.
Mudflap84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap84 View Post
So you're getting the 10.2? I'm confused I thought you said wanted to go fast later.Better add $30-$40 for a BEC if you plan on running a 3s or you might be buying 2 new servos.
I said I wouldn't mind being able to go fast

Why would I need an external BEC? Doesn't the BEC in the WP 1080 run at 6.0v?

Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
I said I wouldn't mind being able to go fast

Why would I need an external BEC? Doesn't the BEC in the WP 1080 run at 6.0v?

The Voltage is not the prob, Amps are the prob. The WP1080 internal bec is rated 3A, but most of the high torque servos demand more than that.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:38 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

If you're running 2S, the ESC provides 3 amps, so no real need for a BEC. When you're running 3S it provides 2 amps to the servo, so you might get some glitching. A BEC helps with that.
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:13 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I think I saw a 1210 w/a free glitch buster on Ebay for $81. The gb is basically a capacitor "storing" power for a hungry servo.Jump over to electronics and read the second sticky from the top by JRHolmes.Hope this helps
Mudflap84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Any of these guys saying the same at URC, I haven't read your thread there, but you'd figure these guys(here) would knock it outta the park with these comments opinions and suggestions...
Stick with what you know and like and what you've been reading about(all your info and review's you've gathered up)You should be happy with your choice, all these trucks are all in their own category. What I've read,you can't compare but you can. After that one truck you buy, you'll end up with 2nd and 3rd and 4th choices...enjoy you pick
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10? goldcrow Newbie General 65 12-13-2016 10:45 PM
Axial SCX10 ll, SCX10, Gmade Sawback 4LS, Vaterra Ascender K5 From Malaysia. RCWin Videos! 2 12-01-2016 08:23 AM