• 2 Post By Fallen
  • 1 Post By crazee horse
  • 3 Post By Fallen

Thread: Fallen's HPI Venture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Fallen's HPI Venture

Alright, alright, first the pictures, because that's all you guys really want to see... All pictures show situations that the Venture was driven into and out of, even though the last one might be sort of hard to believe.

Onto my brief review, after 3 battery (2S, 4000mah) packs:

AWESOME!

Changes I've made:

1. Unglued (by boiling) the tires, painted the wheels, then re-glued the tires.

2. Made inner fender wells out of tupperware, and painted them black.

3. Painted the D-rings red.

Pros:

1. Performance is awesome out of the box! I know everybody hates the stock steering servo, and yes, it is quite weak. But in my opinion, it does not need to be changed right away, or even anytime soon. The stock tires look sort of goofy, but they perform too well for me to be willing to get rid of. The stock foams feel pretty nice too. Not Crawler Innovations nice, but also not Axial crummy.

2. Looks. This body is hot! In fact, the body is the primary reason that I bought this truck, and it lives up to the hype. The stock suspension settings make for realistic body roll and reactions to trail features, and combined with the rad body, this truck really looks good when trailing.

3. Speed. The stock electronics' top speed is slightly faster than my natural gait with the stock gearing, making for a sweet hiking rig. The drag brake is effective (mine is set to 100%) on all but the steepest of descents, and makes for realistic looking crawl descents.

Cons:

1. None that I've seen yet. Once again, the stock servo is weak, and I know no one likes the stock plastic suspension links. But trailing performance is rad, even with both of these items as they are. Eventually I'll change both, but I'll be focusing more of my attention on adding scale details, unless something fails.

Summary: Anyone looking for a rad scale trail rig, that is truly "ready to run" out of the box should scoop the Venture up. In my experience, Axial rigs tend to need upgrades right away for them to look realistic, and perform realistically. Not so with the Venture. It's almost annoying how little this thing needs to provide satisfying, scale performance. I want to throw money at it, but it already looks so good, that I can't really justify it (yet).

I ran into this snake on my way back down the mountain, and if anyone can tell me what it is, that'd be cool. Being that this was in Southern California, I suspect that it's a gopher snake, but I've never seen a gold gopher snake before.

Last edited by Fallen; 05-15-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Fallen's HPI Venture

Regarding your cons,there are simple things to do.Get a better a servo and make your own metal/aluminum/brass links
Natedog likes this.
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks.

For now, I'm happy with the stock servo, even though it's noticeably weak.

I would eventually like to make some links though. Did you have to cut threads into the brass, or do you pass all-thread through a hollow brass sleeve?

I like the creativity of homemade upgrades.
Natedog and crazee horse like this.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I drilled holes to the brtass bar and then cut the threads
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Be careful with assuming the stock servo is ok.

It's biggest downfall is the fact that it's got plastic gears. One big tumble and those gears will break/strip. (I'm ignoring the fact it also has a servo saver on it and that should go in the garbage asap..)

Now, I've heard that HPI is changing the build spec so the servo will be metal geared. I don't know if that's happened yet, when it might happen, or if it's even true..

For now, if I was you, I'd have a replacement servo handy so you don't get stuck out on the trail.

I absolutely love my Venture, I hardly ever run my 10.2 anymore..

(I've got extra stainless steel lower links made, pm me if you want a set)
Natedog likes this.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Killer man, I'll PM you about those links later tonight. Thanks for offering to sell them.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

All I've done to my venture is add a kayak to its roof and a new servo. One of the best ready to runs around. The straight drivetrain is one of the best features in my opinion. Very easy on the bearings etc
Natedog likes this.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Finally, a decent update. I took the Venture for a fun crawl. The track I took it up, was a mix of loose, deep silt, dry hardpack, and big rocks on a steep hill. The Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs were perfect for such a mix of technical terrain.

I added some lead weights to the chassis. 140g to be exact, some of which has been hidden in the front bumper. With the extra weight, (plus aluminum wheels, interior, scale items and a heavy 3S battery) the stock steering servo really started to struggle to keep up. I finally swapped it with a Traxxas 2075 that I had in a Tamiya M05.

I shaved off the body pin nubs, and sank the all-thread for the Pro-Line body caps into the body mounts. The body is super secure, and doesn't waggle up and down at all.

This is the Pro-Line interior for a Jeep Cherokee body, along with my driver: Lazarus, who my daughter made at VBS.

This is a super rocky, steep section of the track. These rocks are covered in dry dust, just to make the climb extra fun..My scale hi-lift jack has had the foot broken off in this picture, from rolling over onto it.

This shows a different angle of the above photo, which makes this section look not quite as challenging as it really was. This section (and a few others) were risky because they were steep, littered with big rocks, and required momentum to get up. I had to treat the Venture more like a U4 truck than a crawler on these sections, but it made it.

Finally to the top. Those RC4WD Goodyears are almost the same size as the stock tires. I'm running the Vanquish 225 hubs to get them as tucked as I can. I slightly trimmed the rear side of the front fenders so that there wouldn't be any rubbing.
M1tch, Rcdood and odomandr like this.

Last edited by Fallen; 10-12-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Fallen's HPI Venture - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New HPI Venture mOOsE HPI Venture 2 05-01-2018 10:19 AM
my hpi venture ghost97ta HPI Venture 21 03-01-2018 03:44 PM
HPI Venture thread? tjohanne Chit Chat 13 12-22-2017 02:55 AM
No HPI Venture Frank211 General Scale Talk 111 12-14-2017 04:55 PM
My HPI Venture is on it's way... QuesoDelDiablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 86 11-29-2017 04:58 PM