Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Bowser the WK!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrighttt View Post
you and I have almost identical setups!
only difference is I am running a fatdog tuber and 2c lipo.

I am just about to upgrade to the cvd's, knuckles and c's

I placed my battery on top of my front links and love it there.

I do think my servo mount will be an issue when I get more steering throw though.
I am running one I built off of harleys template.

I will be honest. ever since I went to this setup I have been placing extremely well in comps now compared to my old setup.

I like the look of your rig! Yea, there's a lot to like about the WK axles, I just wish they had bosses on the top for servo mounts like the axial or TLT axles. I assure you though, you won't be disappointed with the RCP parts you ordered. They are top notch. And the VF wheels are really, really nice!
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

I love the VF wheels!
when I buy my M2 hammers there is only one choice in wheels and that is between the stalker and the assasin!

by the way sweet rig man!
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:25 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Default Updates

I've gone hog wild this week and done a lot of work on this thing. I also ordered a cobalt puller and a VF dig, both should be in next week.
Firstly, I decided to change my upper link mounts and servo mount around. I liked the VF parts, they are of very high quality, but I felt the link mounts weren't giving me enough options in terms of suspension geometry, and I hated having to hack up the body to fit the VF servo plate. So I made some brackets out of aluminum angle to mount TLT link mounts I had lying around
Here's the rear

and the front

You can also see the battery mount I built into this system in the above pic.
I'm happier with the servo mount in particular, it moves the servo back quite a bit, which (hopefully) will make me bend fewer servo arms. I also like that I'm able to get a link ratio I'm comfortable with while still maintaining good pinion angles and caster. Whether or not the brackets will hold up remains to be seen.
I also got some new beadlock rings

Seen here with my scaler project.
Yes, the axial beadlock rings can be made to fit VF wheels, however it takes some massaging. The bolt pattern on the VF wheels is slightly larger than on the axials, but it works, and I think it looks great.
I saw Jason's rig a little while ago, and he's running a cobalt puller with a VF dig in an SW3, so I know it can be made to fit. I just can't wait for that motor. I also have a guy at my LHS painting me a new body, which should look a lot better than the awful work I do. That should be ready next weekend.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:33 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Default Sweet Jesus

The cobalt puller came in today, I just got it running.

This thing is amazing! And it barely fits! I'll have to take the chassis braces off the rear to get the motor off, because the only way it fits is to have one wire on each side of the motor side plate. Even still, the pinion shaft extends past the other side, necessitating the use of a 21t pinion, with anything smaller the shaft won't clear. I'm ready to break some stuff! Lord have mercy on those poor pede shafts, which I (amazingly enough) haven't broken yet. Tomorrow should be fun
Old 03-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

I'm dying to know your opinion on the cobalt vs the warrior motor!

which cobalt puller is it?
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrighttt View Post
I'm dying to know your opinion on the cobalt vs the warrior motor!

which cobalt puller is it?
Ok. The warrior is a great motor. It's absolutely the best lathe motor I've used, and the price is very reasonable. However, the cobalt puller is a better motor. I'd say low speed control is roughly equal, but the cobalt has more torque and a lot more top end. I will continue to run the warrior, likely in the scaler. All that said, I would hesitate to compare the two, because of their very different price and style.

It's a 10t puller, and it's smokin fast!

I ran this truck at the bunny bash today, and also at red rocks yesterday, and I don't think I've ever been so happy with the way this thing has performed. I didn't approach tuning the chassis with any scientific mindset, I just tried different setups until I was happy with it. Seeing this thing pull a 27 pound pulling sled a full 40 feet, without any noticeable axle wrap and without lifting a front tire off the ground is very gratifying.

Again, thanks for all the kind comments!

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 04-07-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #27
RCC Addict

I picked up a DX6i on saturday, figured if I didn't like it I could always just e-bay it. I do like it! The reason I wanted to try a stick radio was for the extra channels, I'd like to try a suspension winch if I can figure out a place to mount it. Very nice radio for the money.

I also got a new body

And, I made a new skid out of UHMWPE, I posted a thread about that stuff in general crawlers. I like it better than delrin, and it's cheaper. Noticeably slipperier than delrin, we'll see if it holds up. I just hate product testing

Feel free to ask any questions. My VF dig hasn't come in yet I'm seriously considering Lonewolf039's LST CVD mod. Hopefully that'll hold up to Cobalt power better than the stock bits. I'm still amazed that I've broken virtually every axle shaft available for the WK, yet I've had no problems with the ring and pinion. I JB'd the diffs when I got the thing back in november, and they're holding up fine too. There's a bit much slop in there for my taste, hopefully I can get these losi CVD's tighter.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #28
RCC Addict

I like the body. I can totally tell you did not paint it. Your VF dig is gonna be killer. Do you plan on setting up your dig control per the instructions on the sticky on electronics page?
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
I like the body. I can totally tell you did not paint it. Your VF dig is gonna be killer. Do you plan on setting up your dig control per the instructions on the sticky on electronics page?
WTF is a sticky? If I have questions I just post a new thread. And no, I didn't paint that body.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #30
RCC Addict

That'll never work. Jk I like the kindergarten silver sharpie mural, looks sharp on that SW3
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
That'll never work. Jk I like the kindergarten silver sharpie mural, looks sharp on that SW3
Thanks. I like that I didn't have to hack up my body like some people did BTW, turtle and them are dragging ass, you wanna have a rock race? I'll drop the 5700 castle in this thing, I might just even pick up a big 3c for that. Whattya say? I know I can count on you to go fast and break stuff.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #32
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
WTF is a sticky? If I have questions I just post a new thread. And no, I didn't paint that body.
If you look the top each page it say STICKY there full of useful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post

Feel free to ask any questions. My VF dig hasn't come in yet I'm seriously considering Lonewolf039's LST CVD mod. Hopefully that'll hold up to Cobalt power better than the stock bits. I'm still amazed that I've broken virtually every axle shaft available for the WK, yet I've had no problems with the ring and pinion. I JB'd the diffs when I got the thing back in november, and they're holding up fine too. There's a bit much slop in there for my taste, hopefully I can get these losi CVD's tighter.
Hope you that going to lst cvd's is going to widen you even more then you are now.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #33
RCC Addict

I suppose I could throw the 17 turn in the comp truck and pull the weight out of the wheels, you got a day in mind?
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Hope you that going to lst cvd's is going to widen you even more then you are now.
I intend to compensate for that with different wheels. I like running wider axles with positive offset wheels. The steering has much more leverage on the wheels that way, and I think it puts less stress on the stub axles. Just look at how often TLT stubs break with wideners. BTW, my width is currently 10 1/8", narrower than most guy's axial rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
I suppose I could throw the 17 turn in the comp truck and pull the weight out of the wheels, you got a day in mind?
I think we should do it this weekend. A broken truck will be good motivation for me to finish my other axles... YGPM