Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: MUD king

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default MUD king

how about a simple WK build mud truck..

pretty much all stock just flipped link mounts, gave it a little more length. mounted up a jeep body.. and beat the poop out of it today..

needs a new servo now the used traxxas one didnt hold up to well :thinking:

I think I may switch in a traxxas 12t for alittle more wheel speed..

hope to get some mud pics soon..

pretty fun stock.. I think I may make a steel frame for it and add some leaf springs..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

upgrade time.. nuked the spur gear. and the tranny gears were not sounding so swell either.. so I picked up the hardened steel gears and alum. case from RC4wd.. pretty nice.. had one bearing that was a real tight fit. but other then that all went together pretty good..

Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

You'll like the steel gear upgrade - it's bullitproof! However, if you're still running the stock esc, it ain't gunna like the 12T. It may even let all the magic smoke out!
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

always kinda liked the looks of the wheely king. what kind of speed can you get out of that thing? what if you put a traxxas titan 775 in it?

does it wheely all the time like the old 2wd? im not real into the wheelies, just want to splash through some boggs etc.

looks really cool btw
axlesofevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
RCC Addict

If you built it to be a mud truck.... where are the pics of this thing throwing mud nuggets?
Looks good BTW.
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlos View Post
You'll like the steel gear upgrade - it's bullitproof! However, if you're still running the stock esc, it ain't gunna like the 12T. It may even let all the magic smoke out!
no stock ESC, this was a ARTR so I am using my own electronics..
Quote:
Originally Posted by axlesofevil View Post
always kinda liked the looks of the wheely king. what kind of speed can you get out of that thing? what if you put a traxxas titan 775 in it?

does it wheely all the time like the old 2wd? im not real into the wheelies, just want to splash through some boggs etc.

looks really cool btw
stock there not that fast the 12t should speed it up just a little.. I dont know if a 775 would fit there extremly large I think a brushless motor would be the way I will go in the end.. the CG is bad enough on these things now that adding a 775 up top would kill it..

yes stock they wheely but I streched the WB by flipping the link mounts and with a lipo in the rear now it is hard to get it to wheely..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge88 View Post
If you built it to be a mud truck.... where are the pics of this thing throwing mud nuggets?
Looks good BTW.
ripped the spur out before I got to any mud to many reversies to do wheelys
Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

How many truck you have now?

Another cool mudmobile.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
ripped the spur out before I got to any mud to many reversies to do wheelys
Hahaha, yeah... that will do it.
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

saw a cool article today in RC crawler magazine. if you add power to it and it starts wheelying again, they had a neat little trick of just switching the front axle to the rear and the rear to the front, and switching the polarity on the motor so it will run backwards... this puts the battery up front and keeps the nose down.

brushless sounds like a good idea, but im worried about it not being water proof... i am going to be doing something very similar to this build and i plan on drowing the thing whenever possible
axlesofevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
saw a cool article today in RC crawler magazine. if you add power to it and it starts wheelying again, they had a neat little trick of just switching the front axle to the rear and the rear to the front, and switching the polarity on the motor so it will run backwards... this puts the battery up front and keeps the nose down.
they call that "flipping the chassis", mainly for crawling
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
How many truck you have now?

Another cool mudmobile.
2 many...

Quote:
brushless sounds like a good idea, but im worried about it not being water proof... i am going to be doing something very similar to this build and i plan on drowing the thing whenever possible
then brushless should be fine.. the motors do fine in water(except sensored ones novak, LRP, ETC..) castle motors are allright with water... put the ESC in a sealed box and run it....
Old 05-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
what if you put a traxxas titan 775 in it?
From the expiriences I've had with that motor in my E-Revo, it'll do baaaad, baaaad things to anything less than the E-Maxx/Revo trans

Running 22/68 gears in it and running 16.8v, I swear the left front tire actually balloons more than the right to the point I'm begining to think that motor is twisting the whole damn chassis to the point it's unloading the left front enough that it may be a good idea to put a little preload on the right rear to try and keep that corner down
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

if you're gonna run it in mud i'd gear it down a lot to get some torque. i would thing a 12 turn motor would have a hard time puttin power to the wheels to churn some muck.
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
From the expiriences I've had with that motor in my E-Revo, it'll do baaaad, baaaad things to anything less than the E-Maxx/Revo trans

Running 22/68 gears in it and running 16.8v, I swear the left front tire actually balloons more than the right to the point I'm begining to think that motor is twisting the whole damn chassis to the point it's unloading the left front enough that it may be a good idea to put a little preload on the right rear to try and keep that corner down
I dont think I could get enough reduction for it either.. that motor is so big i would have to run a huge pinion just to touch the spur..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dishmon View Post
if you're gonna run it in mud i'd gear it down a lot to get some torque. i would thing a 12 turn motor would have a hard time puttin power to the wheels to churn some muck.
the traxxas 12t is not a 540 motor, torque is pretty good.. I have been messing around with in scalers for a little bit. mud wont be a problem..
Old 05-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I dont think I could get enough reduction for it either.. that motor is so big i would have to run a huge pinion just to touch the spur..
It would still turn it, believe me
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I dont doubt that..

I got the thing out and ran it yesterday the 12t has plenty of torque for mud.. snapped the front drive yoke.. and ejected the rear a couple times..

did find one issue with the rc4wd tranny.. it is thicker then the stock trans.. I couldnt figure why I lost steering to the left.. well the arm hits the trans so I have to do some grinding I guess..

I will get some pics up today sometime..
Old 05-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

thanks

well no action pics but its has gotten some fine detailing

gonna have to order another set of iroks for this now I think

I think I may make a frame for this thing now.. the stock WK chassis is fun and all but I think I can come up with something a little better..
Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Default Cool Jeep

Thats a cool looking Mud Bogger.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #19

Quote:
thanks

well no action pics but its has gotten some fine detailing

gonna have to order another set of iroks for this now I think

I think I may make a frame for this thing now.. the stock WK chassis is fun and all but I think I can come up with something a little better..
Which body is on the truck to the left?
TIMMAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

proline ramcharger