Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Rooster Crawler Drag Brake with Crawler King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Rooster Crawler Drag Brake with Crawler King

Hey Guys, I just got a Rooster Crawler from here off the Classifieds. Now I used to have one with an AX10. That one the drag brakes would let you stop dead in your tracks where ever you were. In the Crawler King it stops on a dime but when crawling it does not hold it's position. Is this because of the Stock Trans or is the ESC messed up??? Any Help would be great since the Seller has not returned any of my emails.
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #2

subscribing to this. What is the gearing on it? Could that be the problem? I just changed my gearing on my CK today and it made a diffrence even with the stock esc.
ToyComa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #3

i just installed one too and it does the same thing. seems it holds better when the battery is fully charged. i am running a novak 55t terra claw motor and 96t/10t gears.

from full speed if i throw the controller in neutral, the back right tire actually lifts off the ground for a second.

Last edited by curraheejeeps; 01-22-2010 at 12:33 PM.
curraheejeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have the same thing going on with my drag brakes. It all really depends on battery voltage and motor turns....how heavy your rig is... gearing, etc. They all play a role in how the drag works in the rooster. It is not a mechanical brake but a magnetic brake. So depending on weight, gearing, etc. you have a different strain on the magnets. Also, a stronger magnet or hand wound motor will help and a higher turn motor to provide more resistance and braking force. I wouldn't worry about the esc and relearn that this esc will not stop on a dime and learn to drive that way. I think that will be the easiest to do. Just my 2 cents
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3kid View Post
I have the same thing going on with my drag brakes. It all really depends on battery voltage and motor turns....how heavy your rig is... gearing, etc. They all play a role in how the drag works in the rooster. It is not a mechanical brake but a magnetic brake. So depending on weight, gearing, etc. you have a different strain on the magnets. Also, a stronger magnet or hand wound motor will help and a higher turn motor to provide more resistance and braking force. I wouldn't worry about the esc and relearn that this esc will not stop on a dime and learn to drive that way. I think that will be the easiest to do. Just my 2 cents

Hey Thanx, You seem to make some good since. I guess on a comparison to an AX 10 Trans to the Crawler King Trans you would get more Drag Brake with the Axial?? I wonder if I just swapped the Stock Motor out with a Better 55 turn would that make a diffenence?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking its more along the lines of sloppy drive cups(every stock Wk has them front and rear. and the pinion slop. you will notice it if you lock up the pinion input and turn the tires. they move alot, more than you will think
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Just put in a Integy V10 50 Turn Motor and all the difference in the World!! Works like a charm, The Stock Trans is going to allow it to roll some too. ESC WOrks Great! WHEWWW Still have great wheel speed with stock gearing and Lots more Power and smooth too. VERY PLEASED !!! Thanx for the Help Guys!!!