Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Stock Wheely King Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stock Wheely King Question...

Hello everyone.

I figured I would post this question here, as it seems like I can find virtually nobody else on the entire internet (yes, I looked at the WHOLE internet ) who owns any Wheely Kings.

This question won't be crawler specific, but again I can't seem to find a collective of people that actually own these trucks other than here.

So anyways...I was wondering, as a stock brushed monster truck, how does the Wheely King hold up?? I've been looking for a 4x4 monster truck and I don't really want to spend the money on a Clod, even though that's what I really want, I can't justify the price, then the bearings, then upgrading to oil shocks, etc.

I wouldn't be doing any hardcore bashing at all...I'm pretty easy on my trucks. I just want something that can hop around some small jumps, climb over sticks and such in the yard, and roll itself when it turns going too fast.

But I also don't want something that I'm going to have to be fixing every time I take it out.

For what it's worth, I'm looking at the brand new WK with the waterproof electronics.

Any thoughts on this truck in it's box stock form would be VERY appreciated, as I'm having a hard time finding those types of thoughts.

Thanks a ton.
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
MSB
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Stock Wheely King Question...

stock, its exactly what it names entails, a wheely king. I'm pretty easy on mine, and never had much trouble with breakage until i upped the tire size and locked the axles. I would get the crawler king and put a different motor in it so that you get a better body and longer wheelbase (if it were me, that way if you ever want to make it a crawler you're part way there), mount the servo on the axle and enjoy the heck out of it until you break and then upgrade from there. With the stock wheely king with unlocked axles you might enjoy that a little more being open axled and a shorter wheelbase, if crawling is never in its future). They are great fun and when driven with some common sense stock, I never had any problems. hope that helped some
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I drove mine pretty hard before it got converted to a crawler,
The weak links in the rig are the dog bones (only thing I ever broke stock) then the trans gears, then the steering.
There are upgrades for them still though you have to shop around a bit
I would suggest picking up a pkg of spare dogs and go from there.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Alright, thanks guys.

Sounds like if left stock it can be a pretty fun truck with relatively low maintenance.

I've got my choices narrowed down to two different trucks...this, and one totally different, a Duratrax Baja Bug.

I have a Baja Bug now, but I was driving it at the beach and the salt water (even after me cleaning it immediately after it was done) did a number on quite a few of the pieces of hardware on the truck. I want to get one to replace my current one, and have my current one be my official loaner vehicle.

Thanks again guys.
Jeff
Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #5

I love my wheely king. I mounted the servo to the front got a hitec servo and i put strc parts on it. I painted a new body to my style. I have a lot of fun with it. If you make a few changes like mounted servo to front which you can go to level3 rc.com to get that. you should be fine. just upgrade as things break. good luck
Diggerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
Fan of wheelspeed

do the on axle mount, run longer screws through the axle housings and replace the trans gears. Those three thinfs are the biggest issue with the WK.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

You can also look on rcmt.net lots if good info on all things monster trucks. Some real good builds too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I just picked up my WK yesterday. I bought it mainly to run in snow, around the yard and let my nieces and nephews play with it. I have an Axial Ridgecrest and 3 other short course trucks that I'd rather not get wet or let others beat on. Concerning the steering- is having a center mounted/ axle mounted servo absolutely necessary? I'm not interested in modding this truck and would rather have it as trouble free as possible.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Its not absolutely needed, just recomended. Stock steering isn't very precise but passible.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #10
MSB
Quarry Creeper

all the stock steering stuff bends like wet noodles, so if you want worry free, go ahead and get a axle mounted servo and be done with it.
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

It looks like the steering kit from CKRC has everything I need. I'm not sure what steering linkage would work for the Level3 one. Sorry about hijacking your thread Gimpdiggity.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Sounds like in stock form the WK is a pretty decent truck. Like Rascal, I really want one to kind of be my winter basher.

I have it narrowed down to the WK or a Clod. I really like the Clod, but for just building/running one pretty much stock, I don't know if the price increase to go with the Clod is worth it. On the other hand, I do enjoy building kits...so the Clod has that in it's favor.

Stock Wheely King Question... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still have a stock wheely king? carcrafter HPI Wheely King 6 12-20-2007 02:33 PM
Do the stock wheely king have foams? GUERO4X4 HPI Wheely King 7 06-03-2007 10:10 AM