Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: WK to Crawler Conversion… Cheap & Simple!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

interesting. Never have I seen a WK in person... Guess that explains it a bit!
FossilJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default it works fine guys...

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I have set up a few 4-links before and this surprised me too. I did not plan to set it up this way, but I had binding issues before going this route. This works fine and no bump-steer either. I will try this before going back to my original plans. Yes it's hanging low and I plan on making a center skid for it to. This one is purely for fun and keeping things simple. Give something new a try and you too could be surprised!
themerc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Here is a center skid I made for a stretched PTI Goliath Crawler...
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

what did u make that skid plate out of?
pbfrk4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

And there is still travel left in the shocks. The axles are clocked on the C ends to induce the pinion angle. Look at the stock pinion angle. The C's could be rotated, but I was trying to keep from cutting and drilling. There is no ill effect from this pinion angle and it adds some clearance.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2007, 01:27 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

The skid is aluminum covered with thin Kydex plastic. Here is another view...
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a cheap alternative for a strech From what it looks like in the pictures you have posted that your axle will try to rotate itself. I think if you would rotate the shock mount 45 degrees and mount a link to it on the lower hole that it would eliminate that. I think that way you could also mount the lower link where the old one used to be and the upper too. I dont have my WK in hand right now so I'm probably wrong but that's just my 2 cents
Attached Images

Last edited by Gula; 03-09-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:47 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Yes the axle does rotate some, but for as much as it travels it is very little rotation. The link mounts on the axles are keyed and really only go on two ways, but others are mounting them different ways. There is a lot of good stuff out there for the WK. I tried the lower links mounted lower on the chassis and all I got was binding and almost no travel. I may go back to mounting the lower links differently, but I am giving this a go first.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Take a small piece of wide rubber band and cut it to fit in between the non keyed portions of the axle. Once you tighten the screws which should now be paralell to the ground, it wont move and your set.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by themerc64
The link mounts on the axles are keyed and really only go on two ways, but others are mounting them different ways.
Yea. There's a suggestion of a rubber band, you could use part of an old inner tube, or, I went with some pieces of molded nylon I happened to have laying around to turn those mounts. Either way, it's not something that's too hard.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

would the Parma Ford 90s Bronco body fit the WK w/out stretching to much. it be a cool mudder with swamp dawgs.
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Now that the WK is coming out in a 4WD model, I was thinking of snagging one to attempt a build ... I assume all the below would be unneeded?

Quote:
(1) HPI A431 Diff Case
(1) HPI A850 Diff Bevel Gear Set
(1) HPI A855 Diff Final Gear Set
(1) HPI 6819 Silicone O-Ring P-3 (RED/5pcs)
(1) HPI 86810 Gear Shaft 5x6x29mm
(1) HPI 86813 Drive Shaft 6x82 (2pcs)
(2) 10x15x4 Ball Bearings
(4) 5x11x4 Ball Bearings

That bit of the ladder frame they're talking about hanging up ... is there something within? I can't quite tell but it does look like it ...

Looks nice!
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

It looking pretty good so far.

Could you give me an idea how soft the stock WK tires are? Grip wise?
Cslax06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand
Now that the WK is coming out in a 4WD model, I was thinking of snagging one to attempt a build ... I assume all the below would be unneeded?

That bit of the ladder frame they're talking about hanging up ... is there something within? I can't quite tell but it does look like it ...

Looks nice!
[/color][/font][/font][/font]
Actuially they are not comming out with the 4wd wheely king in the US only europe. Which is total bs if you ask me.

So you will need the parts to convert it. The parts are only about $60 or so if your a smart shopper.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Coolhand,
Yes the bottom of the tranny and outdrives are in there. My skid plate will take care of it just fine. I made a template last night and now I need to scrounge up something to make it out of.

Cslax,
The tires are pretty firm, but we will see?

I dont want this to come out the wrong way, but when I posted this thread I was just trying to share something different to try with the WK. I appreciate everyones input, but I wasn't fishing for improvements. This is all supposed to be fun no matter how anyone chooses to build their own models. If we all did things the same way it would not be as much fun. There is good and bad ideas to learn from in all the threads on this forum. I do wish we had a WK thread, but people need to do a search on a topic or model before asking redundant questions or offering redundant advise. The search function is a valuable tool when used correctly! Share the good...
Old 03-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Hey, no matter what anyone says, you did a great job on this truck. Your guide was very well done, and it will help show new comers that a WK can be a crawler for not much money. It also givs good instructions on how to do it.

I dont think they were trying to bash you or offend, but help. This is an internet forum where people come to get and give opinions. As long as you are happy with what you have then what anyone else says shouldnt matter.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:56 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Looks good themerc64 - though I'm still waiting on parts for my wk conversion, so I am a little green over here. For my part at least, thank you for the post. While most of my truck will be different, I did pick something up from you.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #38

I just got a wheely king. Converting to crawler. I am trying something different I guess. I am using all stock but a couple of things. What did you use to make the drive shafts longer?? With what I am doing the wheel base will go to 11.25" from the 9.25" (center to center of wheels) All I need is Longer Drive shafts. Around 1" longer than stock. Thought I would ask this question here. Guy is selling me his wheely king for $230.00 advantages= 4 wheel parts, 19T Motor, Upgraded Steering Servo and ESC. I personally think it is a deal. Upgraded Parts and Spare Parts and 4 WHEEL DRIVE!!!
80'sBIGFOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:31 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80'sBIGFOOT
I just got a wheely king. Converting to crawler. I am trying something different I guess. I am using all stock but a couple of things. What did you use to make the drive shafts longer?? With what I am doing the wheel base will go to 11.25" from the 9.25" (center to center of wheels) All I need is Longer Drive shafts. Around 1" longer than stock. Thought I would ask this question here. Guy is selling me his wheely king for $230.00 advantages= 4 wheel parts, 19T Motor, Upgraded Steering Servo and ESC. I personally think it is a deal. Upgraded Parts and Spare Parts and 4 WHEEL DRIVE!!!
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSP55&P=7

buy that and you are covered.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #40

WOW that was easy. THANX!!! Just Curious Will I be able to get more than 1"?? Looks like i will.
80'sBIGFOOT is offline   Reply With Quote