Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Locking diffs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #21
RCC Addict

just mix up the jbweld, and pretend it's grease, then lube the gears with jb-weld then bolt the case back together, and don't lube the ring gear with the JB!
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus View Post
Yes. Pressure tensive fluids can be drained, but again, you have to be able to seal the diff to use them. They are liquid and run out when static, but the minute you try to compress it or move something through it fast, they become essentially solid. I'm certain everyone can see the potential advantages of using a fluid like this in a diff. Dump it out, wash it off, grease it up, it's unlocked.
Don't know that the gear housing is sealed tight enough to hold fluid inside. It does have holes for the axles in each side with just a gear resting over it. Certainly not air/fluid tight.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

There is a groove in the diffcup and the ring gear for o-rings just like an 1/8th scale nitro. The same ring and pinion and diffcup is used in the MT18SS, etc, so probably if you look at the exploded view of those trucks on HPI's site they probably show o-rings in there and give part numbers for them. However, you are kidding yourself if you think it will crawl for **** with thick silicone oil in the diffs...LOL!!!

For the guy asking where to put the JB Weld...mix more than you think you'll need and then some...assemble the diff with this instead of grease and pack it full to the top. Then put the ring gear on and tighten the screws. I assemble it in the axle housing so that the side gears are all aligned properly for the axle shafts and every little bit I remove the axle shafts and wipe the excess JB Weld off them and use a tiny screwdriver and an X-Zacto knife to scrape the non-hardened stuff off the ring gear before it hardens. I put a light coating of Vaseline (on pancakes) on the ends of the axles so they dont' stick to the JB Weld as much.

Last edited by Natedog; 04-13-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIA's Dad View Post
Don't know that the gear housing is sealed tight enough to hold fluid inside. It does have holes for the axles in each side with just a gear resting over it. Certainly not air/fluid tight.
No, it certainly isn't! I was initially going to try locking with a fluid, however I quickly realized that it simply would not work with this diff. That's when I resorted to jbweld. Now, interestingly enough these fluids I'm talking about work really well in nitro monster trucks, especially for racing.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #25

If you are going to be rock crawling do you want to lock both diffs also where to you get the jb weld?
slvrf150fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

yes lock both... walmart or most auto parts stores
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
If you want a locked diff, No.

It works like a limited slip, and that is in a TLT style with closer spaced gears. In a WK it would work even worse.

Just use the right stuff, JB or hot glue. I prefer hot glue.

Josh
YEAH,I used putty and the wheels aren't locked,Although it definately helps..I will try hot glue later,Right now I like the fact that I won't snap an axle as easily.Besides,I'm not competing with it.:-( LOL
1RCbasher2NV is offline   Reply With Quote