Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Hustler style full droop Wheelie King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

I have some questions:

1) The axi 2808 output shaft should be 4 mm, greater than most pinion holes. Are special pinions available ? Do you make the hole grater drilling it ? I think there is little material on few theeth pinion such as 9- 10th.

2) I'm using an esc with 5v 1 A BEC such as Mamba 25. Most times I have difficulties in turning the wheels and it seems it is due to lack of torque in the servo. It is a metal gear one so I suppose the lack of torque is due to lack of current. What are you using ? Do you have a separate battery pack for the radio ?

3) You promised to post a template. Where is it ? I' m impatient !

Many thanks

Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

I pulled the motor shaft out and chucked it up in my drill press, then carefully filed it down to 1/8 inch to fit regular pinions.

When I was running the Mamba 25 I was using the MPI regulator, now that I am using the Mamba Max, it has enough power to run the servo with out the regulator.

For the motor template, here is a pic of mine, nothing fancy.

I only used the AXI because I had one sitting around from one of my 3D planes. There are lots of drop in motors out now, no modding required.
lonewolf039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

Ok, I am now running my old handwound 55 turn speedgems motor, same gearing and battery. It is a little slower and wimpier, but has incredibly smooth low end throttle. I went on a road trip to BC, and ran a bunch of battery packs through it on some real awesome rocks. The truck is handling great and I am very impressed, it actually outclimbed my super on the slippery rocks. The bigger, wider tires on the super just don't get the traction that the cut mashers do. Also, I haven't spent as much time dialing in my super as I have my tuber. I ran it hard the whole time with many rollovers and hard hits, and the only thing I tweeked was a front shock mount.

The front diff is skipping a little, as it is well worn, so I will be changing it out for the hardened gears soon. All in all, I am real happy with the handling now. Here is the vid.
http://homepage.mac.com/lonewolf039/...Theater10.html

BTW, I simply attached the camera to my transmitter, and took video while driving, so excuse the shaky camera work. I really need to get a camera man
Old 09-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Very nice is that an actual hustler or your own build?
tjscrogins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

I'm pretty sure it's his own build. Lonewolf whats the last song in your 2end video? Your tuber is looking unstoppable!
2Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Crawlers View Post
I'm pretty sure it's his own build. Lonewolf whats the last song in your 2end video? Your tuber is looking unstoppable!
Ya, It's my own build. I began it when the Hustler was just coming out and there was no way to get one, so I built my own. It is slightly bigger in all dimensions than the Hustler chassis.

The second song in the video is "Hang on" by Seether, and thanks for the compliments.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:11 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Very impressive little truck. I don't know how steep those climbs are but must be close to vert.

Also amazed by how those tyres hook up.

Nice work!

Cheers, JK
MudCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #68
Rock Stacker

Thanks, I really like the maxx mashers, they grip pretty good on most of the rocks around here. I modded them recently into 2.2's and now am working on the perfect combination of foam and weight again. I had the old combo pretty dialed, but wanted a bit more sidewall and better looks.

I cut the old tires off the rims and glued in some moab sidewalls, and then cut the centers out of a set of Axial beadlocks to get a better offset for the WK axles, plus I like the 14 mm hexes. The 12 mm hexes in the axials always round out on me. I epoxied the centers in place, and are holding up so far.

I also made a pair of solid rear axles out of stainless.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #69
Pebble Pounder

I pinched a few of your ideas for my latest rig. Love the integrated servo / upper link mount.

Check out the battery mount I designed based on your axle mount idea:

The rest of my buildup is here:

MudCow's WK Trail Class Rig

Again, nice work on the custom brackets etc. Very neat and compact. Much prefer this servo mount to the others getting around.

BTW, the stainless solid axles are V.nice. Great idea. Might pinch that as well LOL...

Cheers, JK
MudCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #70
Rock Stacker

Thanks MudCow, glad you like it. Feel free to pinch any ideas you want, that's what the board is for, the sharing of ideas. I don't know if the SS axle will be strong enough at the end where it goes into the diff. It might need some sort of heat treat to strengthen that part. BTW, I checked out your build and it looks sweet. I really like the sheet metal tuber idea. Looks pretty simple and tough.