Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: CUSTOM axle shafts!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #21
I joined the Band!

HA HA !! I locked up the rear diff and went into some serious muddin and dry clumpy dirt feild. The stainless steel brad nails could not handle it. Twisted and stripped right out. You guys talk about music wire? Are you using those in locked up diffs? Seems the Brads were working fine untill I locked up the diff. As for the other end the carefully grinded flat end is holding up fine. Also installed Hard Gears in the rear axle. Had to grind the Final gear on the back side a bit because it was too wide. I used Plumbers Putty to lock up the DIFF. A lot faster than J B weld. Comes in a tube break and mix by hand, stuff it in. Drys rock hard. Seems to work great. Might want to give that a shot. GONE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Heh. Nice. Seriously, try music wire. I've used it for a few things, but not something like this. Biggest problem you might have is the slots in the axles cutting through it, but I doubt it. Actually, music wire might wallow out the slots in the axles.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Nice looking rig! I like your idea for the skid plate/link mounts. I really hate the WK chassis, but that's a great option rather than ditching it for another chassis. Great basher!
RAM2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #24

I refurbish my 1:8 buggy dogbones by replacing the drive pins with hardened steel dowels cut down to size.

After drifting out the old worn out pins, I close up the hole in the end of the dogbone using a hammer to tap on the side of the dogbone on an anvil (back of the bench vise).

The new pins (dowels) are then an interference fit, tapped in with the hammer.

You probably won't find dowels at your LHS (I got mine from the local industrial fasteners supplier) but you can probably find a supplier on the internet and they are much cheaper than hub drive pins packaged and supplied by RC manufacturers.
QuarryCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Music wire is very strong stuff, it will outlast all the other parts on the driveline in this configuration. Dowel pins or drill bit blanks work great too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote