Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Rockin' Red Bull - Phase 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:46 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

nice man, good work
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #22
Let me 3D Print that...

Thanks for the comments, guys.

It is "finished" for the time being...at least enough to take it out on the rocks. Here are a few more pics:

This is a shot of the radio gear under the rear. Still stock WK receiver and ESC for now.

Here it is with all the decals on. Most of them were custom made and printed on Avery Label sheet.

I ordered a couple of the Elite 1500 packs yesterday. The standard sub-Cs seem just a little fat to fit under the front end.
RexRacer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #23
Let me 3D Print that...

Been a little while since the last update. I have had the truck out some and have been enjoying it. I have added wheel weights up front which made a noticable difference. I also got some of the smaller 1500 2/3A packs to cut down on some of the weight up high. I ran over an hour on one of these the other day.

After seeing some huge amounts of flex in the stock rear stear lockout setup, I made my own with some parts laying around. Hopefully these will have less flex in them. I also added some external springs to the suspension. I did this mainly to keep the suspension from being bottomed all of the time after watching it hop a lot over some obstacles. The idea is to have just a little bit of springyness at the bottom.

As you can see, I have been getting plenty of use out of the truck. It has been fun making the changes little by little and understanding how they affect the overall handling and capability of the truck. I am waiting for the new RPM wheels to come out. When they do I will pick up a set and some Losi tires to both narrow up the truck some and see how good the claws do.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #24

that is a really nice crawler good job
Pyrodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #25
Let me 3D Print that...

A little project for today was making a new servo mount. I was using the King Bling setup, but it forces you to keep the steering linkage on the lower side of the steering knuckles. I was constantly having hang ups with this setup, so I made a new mount to get the servo rotated up out of the way.

The other place that I seem to get hung up with is where the suspension mount wraps around the axle on the bottom. I think that I have figured out a way to cleanly mount some TLT brackets that will eliminate the stock mounts. I will post that up when I get it done in the next few days.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #26
Let me 3D Print that...

In order to clean up the bottom of the axle some, I ditched the stock suspension/shock mounts. I modified some TLT mounts by adding an extra hole in them and then mounting them to to WK axle housing. This seems to do the trick for extra clearance.

My LHS happend to have a couple of pairs of 'pede rear wheels, so I snaged them for a little project. Most everyone seems to like having thier rigs narrow, so that I what I did. I took the stock wheels and narrowed them on the outside only. That made them about as wide as the Axials that I have been using. I probably should have narrowed the insides a little too as they just barely touch the steering knuckes...I mean just barely. Next time... Once I got them on the truck it narrowed it by just over an inch. Now it measures 10 1/4" wide.

I took the truck out today to our Lil Moab crawling spot and tested out the new mods. I was very pleased with the results. It was a lot more manuverable and seemed to handle most of the terrain much better. Places where I was hanging up were no longer an issue.

I also recently purchased a Mamba Max ESC. The drag brake and instant reverse also made the truck more capable and kept me out of trouble in some spots. The drag brake made easy work out of some very steep downhills.

This thing is turning into a bid science experiment of sorts. Each mod I make just gets it going a little better. In the mean time, I am starting to design a comp style chassis with all the things in mind that I have learned with the tuber.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

That is very nice. Quite similar to what I'm looking at doing. Keep up the nice work on your rigs!
OlYelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Great thread R1 Seven,

Good to see someone working with the WK axles. I hope to get around to using mine in a build sooner, or later.
themerc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #29
Let me 3D Print that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by themerc64 View Post
Great thread R1 Seven,

Good to see someone working with the WK axles. I hope to get around to using mine in a build sooner, or later.

The WK axles are pretty good overall and seems to hold up to punishment. The only challenge seems to be in getting the track narrowed up enough. 'Pede wheels and the new RPM wheels seem to take care of that though...just not many reasonably priced beadlock wheels out there though. :-(
Old 03-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

what kind of tuber is that or did you make it??
ericbrierton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #31
Let me 3D Print that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbrierton View Post
what kind of tuber is that or did you make it??
Made it...
Old 03-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

what song was that in the movie?
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #33
Let me 3D Print that...

"Feed" by Sevendust
Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

i dont know if i missed it, but were did u get that servo mount from? the buggy is awsome man!
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

nice rig man
jdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1 Seven View Post
"Feed" by Sevendust
ok thanks, nice rig by the way
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote