Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: I think I'll call it Elvis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 11:55 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Awesome build! I wish I had your patience and half of your talent. Very nice work.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Another little update. It's a roller now, I got the front end under it's own springs. I still need to pick up the diff gears and some more stampede shafts for the rear so I can finish up the driveline. Right now it's a front wheel drive but it did taken out for a quick spin. I need play with the shocks and get some lighter springs but I had figured that, I just grabbed what I had laying around. It's actually got more flex than I expected. There's about an inch more than the flex shot shows. On to the pics...

Everything fits under the hood all nice an neat. I just didn't put it neat.

Bely shot - I'm gonna braze on some sheet steel next time it hits the torch

And the flex shot - it may get a partial droop config to keep the CG in line but there is exactly 3 inches of clearance fully loaded.

I'm toying with the idea of a chassis mounted steering setup. The quick trip on the rocks showed that servo horns hits the rocks first if your not careful.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Good job on that chassis.
LST022752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:00 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Got it up and running. I borrowed my Scorpion wheels, I needed something that would stick. It works well, but it and my Sgt Rock tube chassis's both perform closer to comp crawlers than scale/trail rigs.

Since it's -14 deg F out side, I moved my test ground inside. Come spring I'm looking to make some 'glass rocks ... the real things are a little heavy

Some action shots

Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

My new trans came in. I still need to pick up a spur and try it out. The rear shaft needs some more length but it will hold up to a test run. The rear steel yoke is a standard 5mm traxxas unit that I drilled out to fit the stock pinion gear. I bought the trans instead of the gear set to match the 5mm fronts.

Once Elvis changes hands to the proper owner, He'll now have kinds of room for an interior. The beadlocks go back on my Scorpion though

Old 12-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

That's ok I plan on getting msd top gun bead locks and maybe the rockstompers. And wow that will make interior work much easier.
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Your gonna have to draw out some ideas for the rock sliders and front end. It's mostly down to that picky kind of stuff. If I do it, it's gonna turn into some baja looking chassis. Thats what happend to the last 2 I built. I really need to built a prerunner just to try and get it out of my system or something.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Wery good looking tuber

any plans for some sort of sheet to cover the electronics
like an inner fender ?
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

We've been going over the scale details a little bit and fender wells are on the list along with an interior. There's still more tube work like rear shock mount bracing and rear roll bars but it's mostly down to the personal preferance kinda of stuff. This weekend I need to hit the local hobby shop and find a spur and sliders to get it running again. I've got 55t motor to wire up and thrown in it too.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

you've got some sick metal skills
newpinesap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Anybody think this would look better with 2.2 rockstompers? Or should i stick with moabs? I am gonna prob use the axial beadlocks. Also not sure if we posted this or not, but that is just a test body. I am going to make up a real nice scale body for it with full function doors, gate, and hood. Also a full interior with as much function as possible. Eventually lights and stuff too. This truck will eventually be mine so I have big plans for it.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Speaking of plans, here's a little more tube work, got the rear done and cut the other grill brace off.

Here's a better shot of the bed rail braces, shock stut bracing and body mount nuts. Still got planty of room to trim the rear corners

I was kinda thinking about running the rear down tubes to the rear shook strut, no real reason other than an uncut Rubicon body will fit. I don't think it would look much different and it would make the rear floor way easrier to do.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Uh well why didn't ya do it that way then? If it makes things easier and what not. You are the one brazing it right.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinClodKiller View Post
Uh well why didn't ya do it that way then? If it makes things easier and what not. You are the one brazing it right.
I'm doing the visible stuff to your specs ... Your killin' me here's a top veiw

You want to try the rears down to shock mount? Make a bed a little easier or make room for a nice tool box or any other Jeep tailgate type accessory. I think the bed wouldn't be bad now. Of course it was after I finished that I got the idea for a toolbox.

Your definately doing the finish grinding now
Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

I am the dremel master lol. It doesnt really matter to me which way they go. You wont see them anyway. The whole bottom half will be under fender wells and floor and what not. It looks fine the way it is. I was just messin. I like those corner braces too. Makes it a good place for the fender well to go as well.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Oh wow, Very nice tuber. Looks really good.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

I just went ahead and made the changes to the rear down tubes. An uncut rubicon body drops right on. I could even braze on a couple nuts and you could use the stock Savage mounts molded into the rear window. I went ahead and put some 1/8" rod on the shock mount nuts to beef them up a bit. I need to think on the halo bracing and how to tie it in from the firewall tube to the rear cab bracing. I might get this to where I'll stand on the roof, I'm not there yet though. Blah Blah Blah ... here's the pics

Since we where talking about weight I checked it today. 6 3/4 pounds in the same way we ran this last weekend. Same as my Sgt Rock. Interior plus wheel weights and it will still be light.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

That thing is pure genius man. Very impressive. I might have missed it, but was that intended to look similar to an AEV Brute Conversion kit for the Wrangler?
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Yeah sure that's it. What conversion is that? I never heard of it. That design has come from myself and mriswith. Changing as we go of course. The ideas originally started with the campbell 1:1 jeeps.

Nevermind just looked it up. That is awesome. This was not built that way, but my next one will I think. I am more of a pickup person anyway.

Last edited by CrawlinClodKiller; 12-17-2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added more is all
Old 12-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

I'm just making it up as I go along with a little design influence from CrawlinClodKiller (it's being built for him). I see bit here and there that I like and try and incorporate it. Went to a local car show this last April and I came across a jeep that has pretty much been my reference. I'm not cloning it, just getting the same flavor. Here's the Jeep, you should notice some vague similarities

I had to look the conversion up too. Interesting but not my speed. I can see how it would look that way but thats just because there's no interior work. That should be coming up in the next couple months.

Last edited by Mriswith; 12-17-2007 at 06:15 PM.