Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: King-Lifts, or Hi-Wheely... scaler projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default King-Lifts, or Hi-Wheely... scaler projects

Hey I know this is probably going to get bumped elsewhere, but figured I would post it here in my fav haunt...
I'm currently working on a 1.9 Hi-lift chassised and axled scaler using a WK trans... (no I didnt scrap my comp WK)
And there is another fellow (Carcrafter) building up the same thing in a 2.2 scaler... Just thought I would see if there was anyone over here that would be interested in checking them out.....

Still its a work in progress, but who would have thought of repurposing the WK trans, Everyone is so gung ho with the axles alone... Figured make use of an inexspensive and relatively tough stock trans to throw into a scale rig...
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Im new to R/C but I think my next truck will be a crawler, and I like the looks of the scalers the best. So its interesting for people like me at least as I would probably want to start with something a) cheaper and b) easier for a newer guy without the fabrication skills a lot of you seem to have. So re purposed WK's into scalers is very intriguing.

Just looking at the Picture threads, I see a lot more WK based ones I like over the Axial ones which are a bit too comp/tuber for me I guess. So many abbreviations used here tho its a bit confusing to know what a diaz extended s3 chassis tlt blah blah is ;)
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Viva the KING LIFT REVOLUTION!

Here she is the one that started it all, or at least 2 of em. My 2.2 Hi lift. you can follow my build here...

Old Hi Lifts don't die...

But here is a pic of her at the roller stage
Attached Images

Last edited by carcrafter; 12-13-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: forgot attactment
carcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler_king View Post
but who would have thought of repurposing the WK trans
A couple others that i know ofn frankyrizzo built a jeep on an mfm chassis with a wk trans in it.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hey King that turned out NICE! I like how much clearance you have on the bottom! I am trying to do this with my wheely king...everything stock except the extensions. However I won't get good clearance at all since I am wanting 1.9s.
I might come with with some mods to the links to see if I can get extra clearance.
Sasquatchbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Oh man it is far from done.... But thanks... I have a little under 3" off clearance as it stands right now.. might loose a little once I figure out a skidplate to protect the bottom of the WK trans...
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default Skid plate

King if you notch that plastic skidplate mount they use on the back side to cover the tranny and get creative with a plate you can have a nice skid. My big problem is the links I use to stablize the bottom of the tranny hit the stock plate on the little angled sides. Because you are talking about maybe mounting it stiffer on the top instead of the bottom you could mill those stoc tabs off and use the stock 3 speed setup. for a skidplate
carcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default My King-Lift

It started out w/a divorve mount WK tranny/transfer case then ditched it for an R2. The truck is gone now, but I thought I would post a pic of it anyway.

Here's the build thread:

My WK S10, semi-scale build

Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote