Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: free mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default free mods

what are some mods that are free and would help the stock wk out?
i put thr battery in the front and my dad got all dweebish on me and siad if i break this truck a cant get another one.
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

Here are some (not all) threads on this site that have free templates. All in all they aren't free, because you need to purchase materials unless you have some already. But they are free in the sense that you didn't pay someone else to design, fabricate, and ship it to you.

I would suggest reading all of both threads, so you know what has worked out in the end for each part.

Servo Mount
Free WK servo mount templates

Awesome Chassis (Widow)
Custom Chassis'd WK Crawler

Alterred Transmission Mounting Plate
I would suggest you take the tranny and motor off. Put the plate onto some thick paper and use it as a template to trace the design you have previously seen or something you thought up on your own. Then transfer the paper to your final material.

Tire Grooving
Take a silver sharpy and draw out your design (maybe use a pencil til you got it like you like it) hobby knife, dremel, or whatever you have and go to town cutting away.

Last edited by duleonar; 12-20-2007 at 10:04 AM.
duleonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Move the battery forward and lower!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

i am going to reverse the chassis and make a new rod for the steering.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

turn the tires around for more"bite".
pickup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

no ones said about the link mounts.
imm about to reverse my chassis and make a new bent steering link.
i also like the stocl gearing so will be keeping that but need to get 4wd conversion after christmas.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblazerboy View Post
what are some mods that are free and would help the stock wk out?
i put thr battery in the front and my dad got all dweebish on me and siad if i break this truck a cant get another one.
Hey BBB, why don't you ask your dad to read on this forum with you so he can understand what this is all about. Ask him to help you out with your project. He will soon get addict and might want to provide funds for your truck ! He might even want his own truck, so you guys mods and ride together... That would solve your problem (but then you guys will get challenged by your mom) éhéhéé
Filibuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

my mom doesnt really care. and i keep telling him about putting the servo on the axle and i tell him its easier but he says its not and im reversing the chassis, so a servo on the axle is the easiest instead of makeing new links to use the stock steering set up. and i want to extend the wb for a blazer body.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
no ones said about the link mounts.
imm about to reverse my chassis and make a new bent steering link.
i also like the stocl gearing so will be keeping that but need to get 4wd conversion after christmas.
look here - this is what everybody is referring to when you hear "I did the phase 1 mods":
http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2007061801/

one thing, though, is this site forgot to mention that you also have to lengthen your steering linkage, unless you go for an axle mounted servo setup...

lots of really good info. This is the link setup I went with at first, it requires the least amount of work for good performance. I eventually went to a true 4-link, though. I just made new upper links and kept the same lowers... But you'll need to get the longer drive lines if you extend the wheelbase (obviously). If you're going to be crawling with it, I'd definitely look into axle mounted steering. You can make a mount plate relatively easy with a thin piece of sheet metal or aluminum. See above for the templates.

cheers and good luck!

Last edited by jbrandt; 12-21-2007 at 09:47 AM.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
my mom doesnt really care. and i keep telling him about putting the servo on the axle and i tell him its easier but he says its not and im reversing the chassis, so a servo on the axle is the easiest instead of makeing new links to use the stock steering set up. and i want to extend the wb for a blazer body.
I didn't quite follow all that are you reversing the chassis or your pops won't let you?

Putting the servo on the axle isn't necessarily easier than making a longer steering link. In fact, I think cutting a piece of 4-40 for a longer steering link is probably a lot easier than cutting out a servo mount. In the long run though, the axle mounted servo will be easier and probably cheaper, especially if you reverse the chassis.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

yes, im reversing the chassis, and now i got him to let me put the servo on the axle so i can extend the wb in the future for a blazer body.
i was going to buy the bellcrank off of ebay, but if i wanted to extend it i would have to make a new link.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filibuster View Post
Hey BBB, why don't you ask your dad to read on this forum with you so he can understand what this is all about. Ask him to help you out with your project.
I totally agree.

I mean there are many other things you (BBB) could be doing (besides picking up an awesome hobby) that could have your dad much more allerted. Let him know you need his help and would love to work on the truck with him rather than behind his back.

Sorry for a minute there I turned into "Dear Abby".

Hope it works out for you
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

he helps me out sometimes, but i have to ask him alot. maybe after we go to some of the gtgs he will understand, and maybe he might want to get on too.
right now im waiting till christmas or if i can order the servo mount now from rcguy.com. atleast now i can extend the wb without to much mods all i would nee would be new drive shafts.

does any one else have any more cheap tricks, i dont think ill be getting a new chassis for awhile, but i want to get the cx trail chassis.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i would also shave the knuckles and axle c's until the axle c's touch the axle housing than just make a bent steering link you will get more steering just my .02 cents
YAKIMA RC RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

ok will try that
Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
he helps me out sometimes, but i have to ask him alot. maybe after we go to some of the gtgs he will understand, and maybe he might want to get on too.
right now im waiting till christmas or if i can order the servo mount now from rcguy.com. atleast now i can extend the wb without to much mods all i would nee would be new drive shafts.

does any one else have any more cheap tricks, i dont think ill be getting a new chassis for awhile, but i want to get the cx trail chassis.

Look at this link : http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...838#post965838

look post #122, this is my WK. Very cheap mods. Very effective for trail.
You will be able to wait before asking for the trail chassis you want.

Just PM me if you would like some more picture of the chopped frame, or batt holder.
Filibuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I forgot to mention that the widow chassis doesn't have to be made out of delrin or even aluminum for that matter. There are several of us that have made it out of a $3 cutting board from Wal-Mart.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filibuster View Post
Look at this link : http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...838#post965838

look post #122, this is my WK. Very cheap mods. Very effective for trail.
You will be able to wait before asking for the trail chassis you want.

Just PM me if you would like some more picture of the chopped frame, or batt holder.
thanks.
i dont think ill be getting a new chassis anytime soon.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #19

The axle servo mount takes 5 minutes to install, so if pops don't like it, take it back off. They are easily made for free.
Weight in the right places helps a lot too. I added 2oz to eash front rim and an oz or so to the axle mount servo, again free tire weights. I had some old stick on flat weights laying around, glued them to rims and bolted to mount plate.
Extending the wheelbase is well under $20, mine cost about $15 for link ends and driveshafts, all easily put back to stock if needed.
Cutting and thinning tires is another free mod that helps a lot.
Gearing is also cheap and easily changed, under $10 to make it crawl much better. You will want the lower gearing to add crawl ability once you get the 4x4.
Money well spent on a powerful servo is also 1 of the best mods. A strong servo can be had for $20. I have the mg945 and it is 1 of the best mods so far.
The first thing needed for this hobby is the understanding that you will always be adding to it or modifying it, it will never be completely done!
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

im getting the 4wd kit tonight along with a aluminum bellcrank(wanted to do servo mount but dad would let me buy one or help me make one).
after christmas i want to get some losi rock claws and rpm crawler wheels.
do you think the stock steering lever would e strong enuff as lower links?
i also might buy the rc4wd wb extension lit and use half of the kit to get 11"wb.
does this kit look good?http://www.teamstrc.com/ebproductdetail.asp?catmainid=13&id=118i might use half of the kit and need to get rod ends and new drive shaft.
what are some good cheap rod ends?