Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Good Crawling Spot in Elk Grove Village

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #21
RCC Addict

CED....the kit from CKRC arrived today. It DOES NOT include the template specified on their description as 1 of the 3 pieces included. That being said, here is what I did:

1. Remove the throttle plastic dog-leg piece from the RIGHT gimble.
2. Place a piece of masking tape on the piece of plastic that was provided by CKRC. Then trace the piece removed in step one onto the tape covered plastic.
3. Use your dremel to cut/grind/sand the piece that you traced onto the tape covered plastic. I used a small cutting/grinding wheel, and the larger barrel for sanding.
3. Install the ORIGINAL piece dog-leg back into the LEFT gimble as it is the more used side for throttle....at least in my application it is. Use the kit supplied spring for the LEFT side as you do not need then to disassemble the right gimble to remove the original spring. I found it easier to disassemble the LEFT gimble to install the spring. At least this way you are only disassembling ONE gimble instead of BOTH.
4. Install the newly created piece on the RIGHT side gimble.
5. Re-run the radio setup to correctly adjust the throttle to the newly set neutral position.

It took about 15 minutes to trace/make the part....and another 10 to disassemble/reassemble. SO give yourself a good 30 minutes to do this right. I was kinda disappointed that CKRC did not supply the template, but I got it made, and tried the truck...it was MUCH easier to drive. Not having to worry about throwing it into reverse....or just plain not stopping as fast as I might want...Letting go of the stick, and the truck going to neutral/stopping is just GREAT. Well worth the time to do the mod.

So I have had the DX6 for 8 days....hid the antenna.....added a more efficient voltage regulator......added throttle return spring kits....and wired the battery for fast charging. These little changes definitely make the radio more user friendly.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info Josh! I'm still waiting for my kit from CKRC, sucks that you didn't get the template, but sounds like you did pretty good without it

Many thanks for providing so much detail
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

That looks like a pretty sweet crawling area. Do you have an address for the preserve? I live in Streator (a**hole of america) and would like to know about how long it would take to get there.

Matt
BagoXCAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoXCAlum View Post
That looks like a pretty sweet crawling area. Do you have an address for the preserve? I live in Streator (a**hole of america) and would like to know about how long it would take to get there.

Matt

Depending where in Streator that you are....it is between 95 and 100 miles.

RT 23 North to I-80 East to I-55 North to I-355 North to I-290 West to Biesterfield Rd EXIT. At the top of hte ramp turn RIGHT (East) to Arlington Heights Road turn LEFT (North) to the first Forest Preserve Grove that is on your LEFT is will be marked "Main Dam". Drive back and make the first LEFT and park near the bike trail/Water Well. Walk WEST about 100 yards on the bike trail.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote