Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Good Crawling Spot in Elk Grove Village

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Good Crawling Spot in Elk Grove Village

I found a pretty good crawling spot in Elk Grove Village, only a couple of miles from where I live. The location is in Busse Woods and has a lot of mid sized rocks/boulders on an incline. It's man-made with some concrete poured in some areas, in between the rocks which actually helps out in some ways. Not sure if we could hold a comp there, but definitely a good gtg spot. I took my Super out there today and this area was perfect for Super Class Crawlers, should be good for 2.2's too. I will post up some pics when I get back out there.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

SWEET!!!! A location close to home!!!! Post up those PICS and a map of which groves it is near. TY!!
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

As soon as weather permits I will go and take some pictures and post them up. Josh, let's meet here and run our rigs sometime soon, of course when weather allows

There's a paved bike trail which leads from the parking area to the rocks, requires walking 150 yards or so.

Anyone that's interested in checking this spot out let me know I live minutes from this location, I would gladly meet you there, here's a map:
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I know that grove area well. Looking forward to some decent weather....would like to check it out.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Went and took some pics today:
Here's a view from where you park, you can barely see the crawling area:
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Here's the rocks:
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I fish that spot!!! I am just surprised that I did not remember it. SWEET!!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Is that cement between the rocks?
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
Is that cement between the rocks?
There is cement between the rocks in some areas here, there's also a lot of rock which doesn't have cement.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Dude that's sweet!
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Went to my new local hang out today, weather was nice
Here's some pics so you can see the approx size of the rocks out here.
Thinking this would be a good place for a comp, but I need to check with the local authorities on allowed group sizes etc.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

If weather permits this weekend I will be out here sometime around noon on Saturday, if anybody is interested in checking this place out feel free to meet me out here. I hope to shoot a bunch of video for our new video site:

http://www.hobbyzip.com

Check it out
Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Friday and Saturday are looking rainy (for now) so I might hit it on Sunday. Will be at Rc Raceland sometime Saturday for the Pre-Grand Opening.....gonna run the new little toy there.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
Friday and Saturday are looking rainy (for now) so I might hit it on Sunday. Will be at Rc Raceland sometime Saturday for the Pre-Grand Opening.....gonna run the new little toy there.
Hopefully the overpaid meteorologists will be wrong, as usual!
Regardless I am up for some crawling one way or another this weekend, I will be down here at this location when weather permits.

Where's RC Raceland? And when will you be going? "New Little Toy" ??? I'm guessing a nitro buggy of some sort???

Let's play it by ear Josh, I'm up for some crawling anytime weather permits here, maybe Sunday will be the day???
Old 04-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #15
RCC Addict

RC Raceland is a new track in Carol Stream. Currently it is an electric indoor track for electric cars and flight area for electric planes/helis. Their plan is to add an outdoor dirt track for Nitro. This Saturday and next Saturday are "Pre-Grand Opening" days for people to come out and take a look. http://rcraceland.com/ I plan on being there between 10am and 11am. Since I was flying solo, I really was not locked into a time.

The new toy is a MINI. RC18T with a Mamba 25 and a 8000kv motor. It also has a bunch of aluminum and RPM parts on it. IT was originally a RC18 Buggy, but I converted it to the Truggy. I will have pics soon. I am just waiting on better batteries. The ones that I got with it do not push enough amps for clean high current draw. (The guy made his own cheap packs....no wonder he never ran it....it stutters like crazy under high throttle after about 3 minutes....the batteries just suck) Looking forward to trying the indoor track.

Sunday for me is now OUT. I have a birthday thing that afternoon at the father-in-laws house in Oswego....no crawling for me on Sunday. MAYBE Saturday afternoon will clear up enough. I do have dinner plans just up the street from that location at 6:30. Get to meet the sister-in-laws new BF...LUCKY ME.

Looking forward to the meeting next Saturday. (4/26)
Old 05-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Here's a video of myself and Xirtic running the rocks here at Busse.

http://www.hobbyzip.com/videos/251/b...awling-5-10-08
Old 05-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #17
RCC Addict

That was a good time.....I just gotta re-learn how to drive.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I still struggle with using the stick radio, I just ordered the spring return mod from CKRC, I'm thinking this will help a lot, I'm also gonna do the hidden antenna mod and most likely the improved voltage regulator too. Thanks for opening up my eyes to these useful mods Josh
Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

looks nice! looks like a better spot than lockport for 2.2 actually
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
I still struggle with using the stick radio, I just ordered the spring return mod from CKRC, I'm thinking this will help a lot, I'm also gonna do the hidden antenna mod and most likely the improved voltage regulator too. Thanks for opening up my eyes to these useful mods Josh

I got the improved voltage regulator in today.....it is installed already. I just could not get the old regulator off of the board (It is soldered to the board like a heatsink....TONS of solder under there.) So I removed the pins from the old chip, installed 3 colored wires from the board to the new chip, and strapped the new chip to a lower portion of the board. Everything is working.....so I have to assume that it is done correctly. Now I am only waiting for that spring return kit from CKRC...will have to fab that part later this week when the kit arrives. I have 3/4 of the mods complete.....it is the home stretch. I did pickup a router table attachment for my dremel to assist in part fabrication. It should help greatly for plastic/delrin part shaping/creation. I will be mounting that new piece to my workbench tonight!!!