Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Scale Rules and Winter Builds!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Scale Rules and Winter Builds!

Well I was just gonna ask a question or two. I know I wasn't at the meeting and I apologize but I work every Sat. I'm doing a winter build, my plans are a basic Axial Honcho, Stretching the rear WB, and I have a lovely set of 2.2 Rock Loxs sitting here on some RC4WD spokers I was wanting to use on the truck. I went to the site and here is what I found.

SCRC Scale Class Rules 2009

1. Cannot be the same rig as used in 2.2 competition
2. 1.9 and 2.2 wheel size ONLY (smaller allowed but not larger)
3. Wheelbase must line up with body, no wheelbase length limit
4. Vehicle must be modeled after a 1:1 vehicle
5. Body trimming allowed but, must not deviate from what can be done to a 1:1
6. Tubers will be decided based on pictures of 1:1
7. No DIG allowed
8. No Cell Limit, batteries must be frame mounted and hidden
9. Chassis must be a ladder type design and extend past axles (scale tubers and truggies excluded)
a. Stock axial chassis with a CGR body mounted are not allowed
b. Chassis extensions must be welded or brazed to chassis, bolt-on not allowed
10. Vehicle must have some form of front bumper. Can be a simple stinger or winch plate
11. Tire size limit of 5.2"

Scoring:
1. Will follow same basic points as 2.2
2. Winching allowed but 5 point penalty, can use another vehicle or object, time will be stopped while reposition takes place.
3. Reposition will not be allowed, winching will take its place
4. Accessory points will be:
-1pt for fuel cell
-1pt for scale driver
-1pt for winch (working or nonworking, must resemble a 1:1 winch)
-1pt for tow strap
-1pt highlift jack
-1pt for working lights (must remain on during comp)
Max of -5 points will be awarded

Course layout

1. Rock
2. Sand
3. Water
4. Mud
5. Short Grass or Foliage
6. Bridges
7. Snow

Is this the written in stone rules for the upcomming scale comps?

I ask this cause my chosen tires are as follows.
  • Outer Diameter: 5.35" (136mm)
  • Width: 1.61" (41mm)
  • Inner Diameter: 2.2" (56mm)
  • Compound: X3 Ultra Soft
Obviously my tires of choice are a little too tall.

My second question is how crazy do we plan to go on the water obsticles?

Do I need to mount my stuff a Little high in the chassis? or do I need to Plasti dip/Dielectric grease the crap outta everything?

Last annoying question. It says I get 5 point hit for using my winch, If I use my winch to help somebody else is that bonus points for me?

I have read on the web some clubs/scale comps give points for that kinda thing.

I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to be a PIA I'm just looking to have fun with this, and trying to get a feel for how everything is going to unfold.

I just want to build and set up my rig one time and be able to drive and fine tune compared to rebuilding to make rules.

I'm really hoping that I will be able to get to some of the scale comps/trail rides this year. I plan to compete in 1.9 and 2.2 scale this year so I can put some faces to the name and all that goodness !!

Last edited by WarTrader; 12-27-2009 at 08:44 PM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The rules changed a bit...

The intent of the rules is to replicate vehicles that would be possible to be built in 1:1 form.
All Vehicles must be “scalable” within reason (70” tall scale tires, Bodies that cannot reasonably be scaled to fit axles etc are not allowed).

Trail Scale:
“Comp” Bodies Illegal
WB must line up with body
Must be “street legal”
1.9 and smaller tires
Must have front and rear bumpers
2 wheel steer with NO dig
Full length ladder chassis (must extend to/past axles)
Bonus points:
A. working winch
B. working lights
C. hilift jack
D. Driver
E. Hardbody

Comp Scale:
RC “Comp” Bodies illegal
Must resemble a “1:1” competition truck
2.2 and smaller tires
2 wheel steer with NO dig
Bonus Points:
A. Working winch
B. Driver
C. Fuel Cell (no gas cans)

We haven't addressed the courses but, we did discuss that water wouldn't be more than a couple inches at most. I think you will find that the scale "comps" aren't going to be as much comps as they are scored trail runs but, thats still in the air also.

As far as tire height goes... it was discussed that your tire selection needs to stay in the "scale realm" basically don't put 50" tires on a go cart type thing.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the quick reply jet. I was just kinda stuck cause I was looking at RCWD and most of the scale 2.2 tread patterns are at 5.5 or just slightly under. I'm going for a look of a heavily moded truggy running 54" skins or so basically the top look here is about where I will end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post

Old 12-28-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

that looks good with the 1.9's
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I hate to agree with saydee but, that top pic only looks realistic if your building a tundra truck. No trail truck would look like that.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

i dont know a lot about scale rules an such but, just my 2 cents the second pic looks a lot nicer far as scale look an such.
fordtoys88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I just wanna set this thing up somthing like a top truck rig something akin scale wise to this..

Ok my last attempt I have a bud at home in OH that is building a F350 trail truck running a big block, atlas 2, custom currie entprises axles, and 19.5"x54" boggers, Yes they are DOT legal. If I can get pics am I legal LOL??

Ohh well guess I'll just have to use my other rig to comp with lol.

Last edited by WarTrader; 12-28-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

not saying it isnt scale... just not what I would do. Scale is about fun more than competition. You just dont normally see 50"+ tires on many midwest trail trucks. Now as I say that, my scale tuber is currently sitting on tires that scale out to about 52" which is what the 1:1 version is currently on.

You can put what ever tires on it you choose, I will still say the 1.9's look better
Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Sorry bro not trying to be an azz. I just grew up in east central OH, and used to go off roading in OH, WV, and PA. There are a lotta trails there where a truck with a 8"-10" lift and running 35-38's could drop to the windshield in a mud puddle LOL. If I compete I'll run my 1.9 truck. I'm just building this thing like a stupid sick trail truck. One of those rigs you see and have to go back and look at twice to make sure you saw what you saw.. Have fun and happy holidays !!!

Ohh ps this is what I'm talking about !

Check it out I started my build ..... WarTraders Honcho Custom CMS And More

Last edited by WarTrader; 12-28-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

well heck, if your just building it for the trail runs... who cares what the tire size is, just make it how you want it.

Scale rules are a bitch, no matter what the rules are you are going to find someone that says its not scale or that something else can be built. Heck, I found a picture of an original mini on Rockwells with heavy equipment tires (60"+) If it wasnt for the fact that so many people want to have scale "comps" I would stay away from making any kind of rules.

Last edited by jetboat; 12-28-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well I did wanna use it to comp but if it don't fit the rules it don't fit .... no big I'll run my other rig for comps...
Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
Well I did wanna use it to comp but if it don't fit the rules it don't fit .... no big I'll run my other rig for comps...
Hey, Dude those are some sick trucks in those pics!
If it comes down to just a tire decision that makes your truck not legal, Hell it's only 4 wheel nuts! just mount up a set of claws or something run the course than put the monsters back on!

btw, I want a honcho BAAAADDDD!!!
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

It's no big deal for me, I just like to live in the grey area of the rules. I just didn't wanna show up at my first club event with a illegal rig and get off on a bad for with the club. Hell at the rate things are going It won't be until spring when when I get a front bumper sliders and possibly a rear cage mad. I'm just dieing to give the rock loxs a run they look badazz mounted up.

I was looking late last night an realized that at full articulation they will prob rub the rear cage, and I knew from the start that they will hit the stock front bumper in anything more than going straight and flat.

I do have one question anybody in the club do much brazing? Like I said I'm making some custom tube work for my new rig. I can solder and used to oxy weld (pretty well too) but that was a bizillion years ago and may need some pointers LOL.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have brazed a couple things....lol. main things are to get the joint clean and as tight as you can. I use a turbo torch and harris safty 45. Once you have is ready to braze all you hav to do is clean it with flux and then heat the joint till I glows. Hten just touch the solder to it. If the solder doesn't melt and flow heat a liitle more. The solder will go toward the heat so to clean up a joint just heat it and lead the solder were you want it.

Don't worry so much about not being in the rules with a scale truck... as long as it doesn't completly ignore the rules and become a comp rig, I doubt any will say anything.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

thanks for the tips.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post

I do have one question anybody in the club do much brazing? Like I said I'm making some custom tube work for my new rig. I can solder and used to oxy weld (pretty well too) but that was a bizillion years ago and may need some pointers LOL.

Zorlac of the DMG did the Pirate for me he does this all the time. He is fast and his prices are fair.

just contact him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post

Don't worry so much about not being in the rules with a scale truck... as long as it doesn't completly ignore the rules and become a comp rig, I doubt any will say anything.

really

Last edited by sally1800; 12-29-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Whats the rule about the axial with the CGR body so I could not get a scx 10 or the Honcho and compete in a scale comp? or were you talking about the 2.2 comp axial.
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Brian....don't even get me started.

The axial rule was only in regards to stock axial frames. An scx10 chassis would be considered a ladder frame and thus be of no issue for either 1.9 or 2.2 scale classes. I don't remember if we ever came up with a good ruling on how cgr bodies would count for bonus points.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I am just playin

Hope things are going well in baby land.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
Zorlac of the DMG did the Pirate for me he does this all the time. He is fast and his prices or fair.

just contact him.

I thought about buying a front bumper from him his stuff is wicked as all hell. I just wanna see if I can make some stuff I can look at and say I made that.. Guess it is my creative artsy redneck hillbilly side comming out LMAO.