Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Raceway Woods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #1

Default Raceway Woods

This Place is so cool It even has a cool name. A Big thanks to Dan C. for finding this place and inviting me out for a day run. This place ranks at the top of all the crawler locations I have driven to date. Its a very large park...(my feet and ankles still hurt). There is almost every kind of terrain you can think of. Lots of steep and very large hills. Plenty of water to splash in. a lot of well worn in trails. Good weather ruts, tree roots, rocks, gravel, hill climbs, and fun extras all over the place. You certainly wont get bored at this place. I'd say if their ever was going to be a Northern Illinois G6 it should be held here. It could easily be a 1000 gate plus event. If any of you guys have not been here. Go try it. Its a blast.

Sorry I don't have a lot of pics to share this time. I was having too much fun driving to stop to photograph a lot of things. but here is a good sampling of some of what the park has to offer. A lot of the shots in the dirt are going up and down some crazy steep hills but as photos go it looks pretty flat. Pictures don't do it justice.
Attached Images

Last edited by motorbikemike; 05-04-2014 at 09:35 PM.
motorbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Where is it?
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #3

Default Re: Raceway Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
Where is it?
Carpentersville on rt. 31. Just a few miles south of down town Algonquin. Just Google maps search Raceway woods forest preserve and hit sat view. you can see a lot of the trails.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Found it, looks like an awesome spot! You're just the "scout" we've been needing! We've all been saying we need to find some new spots but none of us have done anything about it. Looks like you're doing it for us! I need to check this spot out along with the one in Palatine.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Was that a mid 70's Monte Carlo hood I saw?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #6

Yeah I'm up for scouting a new place almost every week. May will be a slow month though. I've got a lot going on in May.

Northern IL and Southern Wi have a lot to offer. Dan C. gets the credit for finding Raceway. It sounds like has has a few other good spots out in his neck of the woods to hit as well.

On the done list:
-Buhela Park.
-North Point Beach.
-Illinois state Beach Park
-The Wadsworth Trail
-The Hollows.
-Pet Springs
-Raceway park

I should post "reviews" this later week of the remaining ones above that I have not posted about. I've got good pics for all of them.

Future spots I'd like to plan hit this summer:
-Devils Lake park in Wisconsin (about 3 hours north but it looks well worth it.)
-Veterans Park w/ Dan c. (another one of his local finds)
-Lake Corina Just south of Gurnee.
-Starved Rock state Park Mid state IL. (if I don't get kicked out) its very "state park'ish" I've walked the park a few times. It would be bas ass to go wheelin there.
-Bowen Park In Waukegan down by the lake. I remember going there as a kid. If I remember correctly its very similar to Pet springs but much bigger, with a lot of huge ravines and hills back in the woods.
-Dan C. suggested Kettle moraine sate park (southern unit) in Elkhorn WI. I think it would be a amazing place to hit. I've been there via snowmobile. it was awesome. My sisters new Farm backs right up to it too. Stop in for lunch.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Was that a mid 70's Monte Carlo hood I saw?
I think so...

There is a old VW bus carcass and some other car shells out there somewhere according to Dan. We did see a lot of old rusty assorted car parts here and there. Intake manifolds, heads, blocks, doors, hoods, it was pretty cool. Other than that the park was pretty clean.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Wow, photos came out great! After about two hours I told mike that we had only seen about half the place and his eyes got as big as saucers! Love to have a bunch of you come out for a gtg. He's right though the pics don't do the hills justice, some of the stuff the trucks go through are damn near deadly on foot.
And that I beam shot is like a 15 ft drop to concrete. Thanks again Mike for coming out, I had a blast.
dc6287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Did you guys go in on the Huntley road side or off Rt. 31 side?
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #10

We went in on the rt. 31 side. I really should have taken some pics over there. Those were some bad ass trails on that side. That place just screams broken collar bone. I can't believe the mountain bikers haul through there like they do. I'd be rolling with all my motocross gear, and a full face helmet. And some bark busters on the handle bars. Though... that would be a blast. Hopefully I can play outdoors enough this year to drop enough pounds to go hit those trails on 2 wheels next year.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Freaking area looks awesome,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This spot looks like it has the kind of terrains we saw down in M'ssouri at the G6.... I actually pass by that freaking place from time to time and never though about checking it out. CHEESSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great scouting guys!!!!!
Tantaran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

It's even better when it's wet, because the bike trails are closed! I didn't take Mike on the trails with the jumps and stuff for fear of getting run over . Another close by spot is called Andres bike park which is closed after rain and has all kinds of man made MTB obstacles that are a blast with the trucks. Couple spots in raceway we didn't get to but I know we'll get out again hopefully with a big group. Most likely headed out again Saturday.
dc6287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

talmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Dam that place seems really cool!!!! Like its been said,it would be cool to get a illinois trail day together,im sure it could be a good turn out since there seems to be a pretty good amount of scale guys in illinois!!! MAN id love to go check out some of these spots you guys post
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead79 View Post
Dam that place seems really cool!!!! Like its been said,it would be cool to get a illinois trail day together,im sure it could be a good turn out since there seems to be a pretty good amount of scale guys in illinois!!! MAN id love to go check out some of these spots you guys post
The hard part is getting everyone together on the same day! Maybe if we plan it in advance it can happen.

I Say Lets Do this!

SATURDAY MAY 31st. 8:00 AM

I'll be there rain or shine.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbikemike View Post
The hard part is getting everyone together on the same day! Maybe if we plan it in advance it can happen.

I Say Lets Do this!

Sounds good, I'm in for the 31st....who else?
Tantaran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Looks cool, wish I could go, but am a maybe depending on how the billards tournament goes.
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #18

fwiw 31st is the cliffs trip.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
fwiw 31st is the cliffs trip.
1:1 Cliff's Adventure Trip!

All are welcome.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbikemike View Post

I Say Lets Do this!

I just knew something was going to shit on my parade.

Rain or shine... yes I'd be there either way. However an angry wife will slow me down a bit.

I won't be able to make the 31st. Her 35th birthday party was planned for this weekend however due to several family members being selfish with their time, it will have to be postponed to the 31st squashing my wheeling day.

I will however be taking off This Friday from work and will most likely be going wheeling / scouting all day if anyone wants to join in let me know.

Raceway Woods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cny gets new raceway!!!!!! paleblue46 Chit Chat 0 01-26-2013 08:10 AM
fernley r/c raceway losijay Nevada 11 05-10-2010 09:31 AM
raceway woods? LS1Armyboy Illinois 3 03-26-2009 01:23 PM
7 Cities Raceway swell searcher Virginia 2 10-18-2008 08:47 PM