Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6th chevy ss scale build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFBERG View Post
Well after a long time of trying to make a decission on what to use to power this big ass truck I decided to go with a Venom 26cc KWA 4.5 water cooled boat motor. Its the available upgrade engine for the King of Shaves boat. Claimed HP is 4.5hp we will see about that. After allot of searching I have no doubt that it is a very powerfull engine. I am in the process of modifying it for electric start, wasnt about to pay $400 something for a starter for this thing so im just making it myself. Pics of that to follow soon.
This is going to be interesting!

with that motor under the hood it should be fast and a awsome mud truck, too.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #22
Trying to have Fun Again

Nice Shawn see you getting back in to the groove again. How is Germany treating you?
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted
Default Electric start

Hey Cory!
Ya Im at it again! Germany is good!! The wife and I just gt back from Switzerland today, we were snowboarding all weekend, was freekin sweet man. Had a great time! How are you?

CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #24

1/6th scale Chevy. This will be "like a rock" when it's done! :-P Can't wait to see video of it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
1/6th scale Chevy. This will be "like a rock" when it's done! :-P Can't wait to see video of it.
I hope so! It's a long time from being done and having video. My work space is limited so it's slowing me down, trying to sift throught the many boxes of parts and find the things I need to build this is taking forever not to mention trying to find a tool when I need one. I can't wait to get it going though, should sling mud nicely!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
RCC Addict

HURRY!!!!!!
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:46 AM   #27
Trying to have Fun Again

Nice to hear. I'm doing great. Sounds like a fun trip.

Keep up the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFBERG View Post
Hey Cory!
Ya Im at it again! Germany is good!! The wife and I just gt back from Switzerland today, we were snowboarding all weekend, was freekin sweet man. Had a great time! How are you?
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

what transmission are you running? I am the guy with the other SS build on here.
savagefromthesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagefromthesprings View Post
what transmission are you running? I am the guy with the other SS build on here.
I'm looking at building a 3 speed auto with a reverse gear as well. I want 1st to be fairly low with second gear having a high shift point and third not to much taller than second but noticable. I've been researching the gears I want to use but haven't nailed the exact ones down yet, everything else is figured out and just a matter of getting it all together. Will also be making my own transfer case and hope to be able to make it shift from 4x to 2x already know what I need to do that as well. As for now I'm finnishing the electric start. Hope to be done with that tomarrow.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

man, your so far ahead of me when it comes to fabrication.. I just got my weed eater motor mounted and also have a Savage tranny mounted. Now I need to connect a spur gear and make driveshafts. Wish I had the ability to do what you are doing. Keep us all posted!
savagefromthesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Default The supercharger

Ok so its been a while since I posted updates. For the most part I have finnished the starter. Everything works great and I am happy with the results however I am on hold for some steel gears I have on order to replace the one stripped out plastic gear that I used between the starter pinnion and the idle gear. Durring testing I noticed that if I just hit the starter with a full 12 volts, the entire start system gets hit with a massive amount of prevailing torque due to the compression that is built up initialy and the starter pinnion stripps out the plastic gear. I figured this would happen so I have ordered 2 steel ones to go in place. Also to avoid this problem possibly happening at all I will be using a NOVAK Super Duty ESC to run the starter and have it on a 2 second delay. Throw the switch and it starts softly instead of the hard hit it was doing before. So now everything is good on that. Still have to take off some material on the big aluminum plate the starter is attathed to and clean things up a bit but thats it. Here are some pics:

Now for the Supercharger! I decided to make this a little more fun and add a little boost! Now before yall flame me on this and say that 2 strokes cant be supercharged or that the power to weight ratio is a wash or try to give me a lesson on how engines work and try to school me on the way a supercharger works or that this will be nothing but a fuel waste blahhh blahhh blahh, please not that im that guy that doesnt care that you dont think it will work! Not trying to be rude here just saying simply.......keep the negative comments off my thread!! I do my research before I spend my time on something, I know how almost every engine on this planet works, I know what the complications are, Yes I know what a REED VALVE is! And more importantly.....two strokes will and can make more HP and can be boosted!
So If you wanna see something cool, at very least a very small version of a Vortech SuperCharger that to my knowledge hasnt been done in this scale yet. I could be wrong but here goes....lets have some fun cause ive wanted to do this for years.

This is got to be one of the most interesting and chalenging parts I have ever made but its fun! You will notice in the following pics there is a small Compressor wheel, this is not the one I will be using in this unit but just one I made about 5 years ago just to see if it was doable. It turned out ok but I missed some details and that one would never hold up to the 60,000-80,000 RPM's that the one I will build here in a few days will have to withstand. Thats just simply going to be a bitch!! Most likely It will be a cast so I will probably start the model and the mold this weekend.

Im researching drive belts and pulleys at the moment. I have the gears for the gear box courtesy of an old cordless drill that had some nice hellical cut gears ad this will be a 1.4 ratio in the Supercharger Gear box. I have not nailed down the ratio from the engine to the supercharger. I do know that the final speed I want is somewhere between 60,000-80,000 RPM this could change durring the build though, we'll see what happens. Enjoy!

Last edited by CCFBERG; 03-23-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #32

That is bad@$$!!
that looks cool as hell dude, nice work!!
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

totally amazing, how are you going to balance everything in the turbo? What kind of bearings are you going to use on the impeller shaft, will they be oil fed somehow? Sorry for all the questions, Im a Diesel mechanic and I saw the turbo, got really excited and couldn't help but ask.
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

this will be very cool! and yes 2 stroke engines can make lots of power just look at the turboed 2 stroke sleds out there!
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 AM   #35

Aw man this is going to be so cool! And I thought your first truck was awsome. Reading this thread has got my brain humming again. Seeing that supercharger has got me thinking about Formula Offroad rigs.

Your next mission - should you choose to accept it..... NOS!

Keep up the awsome work
McCready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #36

man all i can say is wow cant wait to see a vid
super-maxx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #37

love that you putting the model v8 in that sucker,gonna be awsome.keep on truckin'.
victorianpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Dude!!! I have wanted do largescale 4x4 with watercooled boat motor for a long time. All I can say is AWESOME
CHEVOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Very impressive build...but what made you choose a CY over the RCMK, which definitely has more power in stock (and modified) forms and is way more reliable???
md7989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

this is a wicked build cant wait to see the final product of that supercharger
lil wasted is offline   Reply With Quote