Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: shock choices...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default shock choices...

im ready to buy some shocks for my willys and i been searching alot on the subject but i cant decide which shocks i should get for my build... im curious what others have tried and what recomendations you guys have (both what's good and what to stay away from).ive read rc4wd scale shocks are garbage but i like the look of the dual spring ones... ive read good things about proline powerstrokes, traxxas big bores, and also the gmade line of shocks...

any and all advice would be much appreciated

Last edited by brandonwalsh420; 06-14-2012 at 12:18 AM.
brandonwalsh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: shock choices...

should i be concerned about the weight of the rig when im shopping for my shocks?
Old 06-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwalsh420 View Post
should i be concerned about the weight of the rig when im shopping for my shocks?
Kinda, but more so the tuning ability of the shock. This way you can dial it in to how you want it.

Thats what I think. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I don't like poor information, for do I like to misinform anyone.
Saadiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

A 1/6 Jeep Willys will be heavy. My 1/6 Willys weighs in at 15 pounds... So you do need springs with a heavy spring rate. I run the Axial SCX-10 shocks with heavy springs.

The Proline Powerstroke shocks are beautiful shocks, but will need different springs; the stock springs are too light rated.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

tire to shock clearance is a big design challenge, especially on the front. The next thing to think about is the availability of heavier spring rates to hold the jeep up. Just like Jeepin-Paul says, these things are heavy once they get up to a running state. My orange one weighs in at 14lbs.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin-Paul View Post
A 1/6 Jeep Willys will be heavy. My 1/6 Willys weighs in at 15 pounds... So you do need springs with a heavy spring rate. I run the Axial SCX-10 shocks with heavy springs.

The Proline Powerstroke shocks are beautiful shocks, but will need different springs; the stock springs are too light rated.
i know mine will be a heavy pig when its done maybe even close to the 20lb mark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
tire to shock clearance is a big design challenge, especially on the front. The next thing to think about is the availability of heavier spring rates to hold the jeep up. Just like Jeepin-Paul says, these things are heavy once they get up to a running state. My orange one weighs in at 14lbs.
tire to shock clearance shouldnt be a huge issue to get around... im running wraith width axles (gcm60s) so the stance is pretty wide... and if i have to i will cut out the inner fenders/notch out the frame to make it work out...

i been looking at the red cap velvet kyosho shocks from supershafty... they come in lengths between 3-4.5 inches
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...ed-shocks.html
i was thinking of doing them with the jeepindoug mini t caps and springs... im a lil concerned about the diameter of them and whether i can make them work on my build, also concerned whether they will be stiff enough with heavy mini t springs?

should i try these?
what kind of lenth should i be looking for while im shock shopping?

mucho thanko for all the advice... it is greatly appreciated

Last edited by brandonwalsh420; 06-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Most of ths 1/6 scale Jeep Willys built on the forum (as well as my Jeep) run stock Axial SCX-10 shocks that measure at 90 mm, eye-to-eye. You will need the firm or super firm springs from axial.

Part numbers listed below...
--------------------------------------
long spring firm yellow = AX30208
long spring super firm blue = AX30209
short spring firm yellow = AX30203
short spring super firm blue = AX30204
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i went with some kyosho (stock blue caps), jeepin doug mini t spring cups, and supershafty brass cap mod... hopefully i can find a stiffer spring that will work if the firm mini t springs i have coming are not stiff enough... otherwise i will order some scx-10 shocks and put the kyosho's on a different rig.

thanks for all the advice
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Mine runs close to 20#'s, I run the RC4WD Duel rate shocks with the heavy springs. It is close to a full droop set up but works well for my driving style and terrain.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I guess Ol' Blue is the lightweight of the group at 11 1/2 lbs.

I went with stock SCX10 units due to the availability of a lot of different spring rates, and because I already had a set on hand

At first they were temporary units to keep the build on schedule. But they've been working far better than I ever expected them to so I've kept them...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

anyone have advice on what weight shock oil i should use?... my last question about shocks i promise ... i googled it but it was hard to find any info that wasnt for short course racing... and all i got outta that was different weights for different conditions and temps... someone please enlighten me on the subject

shock choices... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too many choices MaxPower666 Redcat Crawlers 6 09-13-2011 07:07 AM
Choices.... Col. Sanders Tires and Wheels 22 09-23-2009 02:09 PM
So Many Choices JatoTheRipper Newbie General 24 10-20-2008 02:35 PM
Choices, Choices JohnRobHolmes Chit Chat 7 11-21-2006 11:19 PM
Other choices? chole Newbie General 2 10-03-2006 11:45 AM