Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The Leafed Willy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #21

Default Re: The Leafed Willy

this is our jeep cj5

Last edited by nolan B; 02-16-2013 at 09:26 PM.
nolan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

OMG... I have been a lazy piece, with this build. I think I have come up with a plan that will make this work. I plan to order a fracture V8 engine from RC4WD and put that in here. I think that it will work better. I will still need to figure out how to connect it and all, probably have to move the servo but thats ok, I think it will be easier to work with. I need to get to work on this, but all the distractions, moving, and lack of priority for money, it's sat idle for too long.
OllllO Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllllO Fanatic View Post
OMG... I have been a lazy piece, with this build. I think I have come up with a plan that will make this work. I plan to order a fracture V8 engine from RC4WD and put that in here. I think that it will work better. I will still need to figure out how to connect it and all, probably have to move the servo but thats ok, I think it will be easier to work with. I need to get to work on this, but all the distractions, moving, and lack of priority for money, it's sat idle for too long.

Very pleased with my Fracture v8.Iv'e had this thing about 4 years and its now pulling a 12 lb willys

truckbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckbob View Post
Very pleased with my Fracture v8.Iv'e had this thing about 4 years and its now pulling a 12 lb willys

I hope I can mount it well enough as Big Ski has a sweet bell crank set up and I don't want to move the servo. WE shall see when it arrives. I am excited to get this thing at least running. Then I will need to finish the interior. Oh an I will definitely need to do some painting, I am going to keep it the blue it is or close to, then paint the chassis and roll cage white to match the rims. Maybe Ill paint the chassis the same gray as the roll cage. WEll see one step at a time.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I hope I can mount it well enough as Big Ski has a sweet bell crank set up and I don't want to move the servo. WE shall see when it arrives.
You can't change that, that is the premier feature of that chassis.

Hmmm - those Swampers look pretty good...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
You can't change that, that is the premier feature of that chassis.

Hmmm - those Swampers look pretty good...
Won't be changing the bell crank, it's a work of art. I have the proline 2.2 TSL's on my first willys and they are pretty excellent.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Won't be changing the bell crank, it's a work of art. I have the proline 2.2 TSL's on my first willys and they are pretty excellent.

Lets see a pic of the bell crank.Theres no way to fit the the 8 banger in there
Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Here's a few pictures, not sure if the V8 will fit, I don't have it in my possession to check fitment. I took a few pictures maybe you will be able to tell. Im not sure where you placed your servo I was having a hard time telling from the pictures.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

After seeing the pics I can say there is not enough room now.But would be if you could move the servo back some .It would take some mods but maybe work.Here is a pic of mine frome the bottom

Old 09-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Just curious, have you thought about using another one of those gear boxes from robotmarketplace? It would bolt right to the mount.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Just curious, have you thought about using another one of those gear boxes from robotmarketplace? It would bolt right to the mount.
What is this gearbox you speak of ???

(I just looked at robotmarketplace website and it's COOL !)
Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Until you just said it no I hadn't. I guess I just figured I would have to figure out the whole pinion thing, as it would have to be large enough to fit a standard pinion.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors View Post
What is this gearbox you speak of ???

(I just looked at robotmarketplace website and it's COOL !)
I *think* it was this one. PD27M

or it might have been the PD51M. I honestly don't remember anymore.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I am going to try to hook it up with this RC4WD V8 first. I'm going to see if I can't get creative and come up with a mounting device for this motor so I can leave the servo and bell crank set up as is. If I make any change it will be moving the servo forward, but I want to exhaust all options before I move it. I'm hoping this V8 will show up tomorrow. That will give me a few to start looking at ways to mount it before I go to work. Once I get it all figured out I may trying bringing the whole setup over to the metals tech guy's on base and see if they can fab something up for me, or weld something in place. Thy are usually ok with small side projects for people.

And the picture you posted looks identical to the one I have that you sent me. Not sure if that helps.

Last edited by OllllO Fanatic; 09-11-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Excellent, I got the Fracture V8, and started getting a fit for it. I had to do a little cutting of the body and chassis, but the servo and bell crank stay. First I cut the cross member that had the old motor/transmission mount off. Then I trimmed the body where the V8 comes through to make it fit. This V8 is a lot larger than I thought it was. I have it just setting for now, I will have to do a bit of dremmeling of the front cross member for the front of the V8 to sit on. Here are a few pictures.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

So I did a little bit of modifying, a little too much even, but I have the V8 temp installed. Now I need to make up 4 mounting brackets and a skid to mount it permanently. I will also have to fix the front cross member, I don't know what I was thinking, but went and cut a piece out of it thinking the front of the engine would sit in it, only to realize it was far too low. So I will be patching that up. It will be hard to notice in the pictures if at all, but I put a 2mm ish spacer between the body and chassis. Most importantly, the bell crank and servo are untouched.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Yeah! Wow that's fits good. Glad you could save that bell crank. I noticed mine ran a little hot after a while of running ,so I will be installing a 40 mm cooling fan to the front of the motor. If my calculations are correct it should bolt right up. Then vent the block towards the rear for escaping hot air. Little hint, Install a good quality high torque motor. Once you get it installed and running its a pain to replace if you smoke it..

Old 09-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I had read your build so I was thinking of getting a fan. I have a tekin 35t that I was going to use, not sure if that will be good enough. Never used the tekins before.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

I was too late to warn you, the front cross member is the only stability that the front of the chassis has. See if you can find someone to braze a flat plate back into the section that you cut out to put some of the strength back into it.

I think the v8 will look good in there.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I was too late to warn you, the front cross member is the only stability that the front of the chassis has. See if you can find someone to braze a flat plate back into the section that you cut out to put some of the strength back into it.

I think the v8 will look good in there.
AHH!! Just kidding, I'm in the process of brazing a couple pieces back to it. Plus once the motor is in it will help tie both sides together a bit. I'll take some pictures when I'm done.

The Leafed Willy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fully leafed hilux! SILVY 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 11-04-2012 08:09 PM
Leafed PAcer crawlinghulls Scale Videos! 8 05-06-2009 11:03 PM
Need a little help on leafed 1.9 Slickrock450 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 08-22-2008 07:42 PM
1.9 Leafed Bronco fathead 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 07-31-2007 09:54 PM