Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Willys Build! aka Smaller Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #1

Default Willys Build! aka Smaller Crawler

I've been lurking this forum for a while now and haven't gotten around to posting my build yet. After looking through dozens of other build threads and getting so much useful information I guess I should ad mine to the mix. ill try to get everyone caught up to where I am now on the willys.

I first found interest in building a scale rig a couple years back when a buddy of mine showed up to a camping trip with a buggy bronco he built from a modified wraith chassis and I got hooked instantly. Not knowing anything about the hobby I started researching and found some videos on youtube of ZoSo's willys out crawling. so I found a decent 1/6 willys on ebay and bought it for around $40.

After getting this thing I immediately tore it down and started painting. I should have waited until after the build to paint but oh well it turned out good.

we moved into a new house with a 2 car garage which gave me plenty of space to work on this thing

I built a couple frame rails from aluminum stock and a few link mounts of the same stock it turned out okay and got it rolling at least but the frame is something I want to redo down the road... the original plastic frame that came with the willys is no longer useable due to a learning related incident haha I don't want to talk about it... after researching the best route to go as far as running gear I decided on wraith parts. I found a good deal on a used rtr wraith on ebay and went with it. I wanted a nice wide stance and the wraith axles allowed that without wideners so that was a deciding factor.

After it was rolling I whipped out a bumper and roll cage for it. I am actually proud of how the bumper and cage turned out considering this is my first time bending tubing like this.

I ordered a third drive shaft and a disruptor tcase and got it driving around the house

Here are some action shots from the first time out and on some actual obstacles. it did really well and I was impressed. only flopped a few times

I had some led tail lights left over from the wraith and wired them up in the willys along with these cool light covers that fit perfectly over the stock tail lights.

That is where I am with the build so far. Right now im waiting on a new drag link and tie rod to get here to replace the flimsy wraith steering. and I had to replace the wraith pitman arm after the second time running the willys because it stripped out . Oh well. I found another willys on ebay and bought it today for parts. its pretty rough so im taking the frame out to build a replacement for the aluminum rails I built.

Any questions, comments, concerns, advice, etc.. is very appreciated. Heres a poser shot for anyone whos reading through all this

tdylan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #2

Default Re: Willys Build! aka Smaller Crawler

Here is a quick shot under the hood. I still need to hinge the hood for easy access but its on the list. Also, what is a good battery to run this beast? the one I have now is not cutting it. after about 10 minutes of run time its out of juice

Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Mighty nice looking Willy there, man.

I'm not as much the crawler as most of the guys here, but I run a 5000mAh, 3s lipo in my rig and get plenty of run time out of it. It's coupled to a 45T motor (can't remember the brand) and the transfer case is basically 1:1, so I still have wheel speed and control at the sticks while going slowly.

I'm not much on the "gun" type RC transmitters. I learned on sticks and still use 'em. I've only been screwing around with this RC stuff for about 30 years.
dadrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice build! I've been using some 3s 2300 packs in my Willys, I seem to get about an 1 to 1.5 hours out of each pack. My overall gearing is so low that the motor isn't being over worked, I think this helps the run times out of each battery.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdylan28 View Post

we moved into a new house with a 2 car garage which gave me plenty of space to work on this thing

I wish my garage still had that much room in it.

I have been happy with 3S 2100 mAh LiPos in my rigs. I get about 40 minutes of run time, maybe a bit more with pure crawling, and they are not too hard to hide in a scale rig.

The Willys is looking sweet. Need to start mine someday.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

Thanks guys! glad to see people are watching this so far I was at the rc shop yesterday and the guy there suggested the 5000 mah. ill probably go with one of those. My "new" willys showed up today on the door step. And just for shits and giggles I made the smaller crawler smaller for a minute I shoud have the new frame ready for the tcase and some mounts made up for the links sometime soon. My 1:1 jeep needs some lovin first though.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Oh wow! Love the stock look...definately cool.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #8

it definitely looks pretty cool! Might be an idea for the other willys body I have. maybe a somewhat stock rc. we will see
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

You nailed that paint work. Very rare to see paint that looks "real" in the sun. Usually too shiny or something that makes it look like a model. Looks like a real Willys. Great job.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
You nailed that paint work. Very rare to see paint that looks "real" in the sun. Usually too shiny or something that makes it look like a model. Looks like a real Willys. Great job.
Hey thanks! I appreciate that. I tried to take my time on the paint and I like how the finish came out.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
SuperShafty.com

that red looks great man.

kinda like the look with the stock wheels and tires. that could be a sweet class 1 6r
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #12

Well I decided to swap in the dash from my donor willys because it has a perfect set of data plates. It is also in a little bit better shape. Since the hood and dash are from two different jeeps I am left with a gap where the hood was cut a little... well crappy haha. Does anyone have any tips on building the edge of the hood back to close that gap up a little bit? is there anything I can use? And if anyone knows where I can still buy tlt brackets for the suspension links please enlighten me.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #13

I ended up painting the hood and dash from my donor willys and using them since the gap was hideous with the old hood. It looks good! I thought the data plates were gunna get ruined while taping them off but they made it. I did a little bit of "aging" with some acetone in certain areas. I think it adds a bit of realism. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow. I should have the willys up and crawling again tomorrow night. Oh and the new steering links I have been waiting on for two weeks... Turns out the hobby shop I ordered them through can't get them but decided not to call me about it... Rude lol I guess I'll order online from now on..
Old 03-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #14

Couple pictures for you folks. Got the willys up and runnin again. I like the way this chassis is set up a lot better than the previous set up.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #15

Well the willys is down at the moment. Anyone that can point me in the right direction to finding the problem? I have a feeling the esc is dead but I may be wrong. I get power to the receiver but no steering or throttle at all. The led tail lights come on but that's all that seems to work. The reason I think it may be the esc is that there is usually a series of beeps and a blinking red or green light on the esc when its powered on. At the moment I get none of that. I'm running an axial ae2 out of a wraith.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Sounds like ESC but check that your getting power to it first. Bad lead to it?
I was wondering what a narrower GI Joe body would look like with Wraith axles underneath it. Looks great! Nice paint work too!
Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
Sounds like ESC but check that your getting power to it first. Bad lead to it?
I was wondering what a narrower GI Joe body would look like with Wraith axles underneath it. Looks great! Nice paint work too!
Thanks! I appreciate it. I like how the wraith axles give it a nice stable stance. And they just look awesome anyway imo. I'm getting power at the receiver which gets power straight from the esc so there has gotta be power at the esc for the receiver to be working right?
Old 06-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
I was wondering what a narrower GI Joe body would look like with Wraith axles underneath it.
That is the narrow Hasbro body. I've been looking at a 21st Century body, it's 1" wider ( front and rear) then the Hasbro version. It would help to cover the tires a bit more.

Nice build! I'm looking forward to getting my orange one back together with a few improvements in the "scale appearance" category.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Nice build! I'm looking forward to getting my orange one back together with a few improvements in the "scale appearance" category.
Thanks! I also have some scale things I would like to do to the willys. Scale camping gear, rifles, tools, things like that.

While I'm waiting to get a new esc I comp cut the jeep! I stretched the wheel base a little and sprayed the frame, wheel wells, and rear quarters with bed liner. I dig the new look. I want to start working on tube fenders pretty soon but we will see when I get around to that!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Nice mods! Haven't seen that rear fender mod - looks good.
Interesting that your ESC won't power up but routes power to the receiver. Sounds like it's partially functional but the main functions are toast?
Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Willys Build! aka Smaller Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tires smaller than 3" ???? mrc pro scale build bikerj08 1.5 Scale Rigs 9 02-12-2016 09:07 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
Smaller crawler motor? jeepfreek Electronics 4 12-16-2007 09:28 AM
Smaller Jeep body on crawler rioshilo General Crawlers 6 08-27-2005 10:40 AM