Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Holy moly I bought a SCX6 Honcho!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 11:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Holy moly I bought a SCX6 Honcho!

I can't believe I just spent $1100 on a RC car, but I did!

Since I know you all want to know my thoughts so much, here there are after 2 outings and installing a Castle BEC and my radio (flysky g7p).

First and foremost - it's awesome. Super fun and unique at this scale. I never 'trail' - carrying my capra between rock gardens. Watching the capra bounce around and whine as I hike does not look or feel scale - looks like a toy. So I don't bother. This guys looks way more scale at a hiking pace, which is good because it is WAY too heavy to carry a long distance.

re: My other post about run times. I get roughly the same time out of a 5200mAh battery that I do in my Capra with a 1500mAh battery, which makes sense since it's roughly 3x as heavy.

Biggest negative - steering is really shameful. I have never had a problem running an RTR as delivered until a part failed... but steering on this is useless out of the box and Axial should be ashamed. I installed a BEC and my one radio (endpoints) and it's much better. idk how long the servo will last, but it's OK for me for now. Really axial, if there were other options in this size, this could be a deal breaker.

Soft foams and tires didn't bother me too much, but yea, not ideal. Too soft.

Much better than 1/10 scale on leaves and stick this time of year in New England. Leaves make hiking crawling kind of unpleasant... and this deals with them much better. Still annoying of course.

A little body rub on the limit but not too bad.

This is true of all RC's, but as amazing as the included lights are, they are kind of useless if you are a crawler without rock lights. Super minor detail. Easily addressed.

Shocks work nice, but so did my Capra's. The capris were horrible leakers though. So far so good here... fingers crossed since everything is soooo $$$ at this scale.

Have to be moving, sometimes reverse, to get it to shift. Not as amazing as a Vanquish, but not a big deal. Also if you bind your own radio and put the shift servo on a variable, or 3-way, you can get it to freewheel. Kind of handy. Maybe?

Honcho is super cool - just looks awesome I have to say. I'm not anti-jeep or anything, but I don't get tired of watching the honcho roll around.

I am primarily a rock crawler and constant sliding and grinding, and a 25lb Beast is going to wear down rod ends and diff covers much more quickly than a 7lb 1/10 scale. Luckily, these are the cheapest parts to replace, so not a big deal.

The ESC has a feature similar to cruise control... forget the name. idk if I really care about it but it does make it sound weird... like you question if something is broken. because it makes the sound uneven as it auto-corrects. Not a big deal - just something I notice.

Silly part - it's so big and with the gearing and motors it has - it honestly sounds more like those Jeeps or Barbie cars that my neighbor's little kids drive around the yard lol. Not a knock - but funny that it's getting so close to that scale.
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Holy moly I bought a SCX6 Honcho!

i love 6th scale its alot of fun at that scale
i really want the 6th honcho ive wanted one since i first seen the 10th scale one but have been holding out i guess for the 6th scale

ill have to peicemail mime together though $1100 is a no go for me
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:43 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Great info, Chilly. I’d seen a thread to two about SCX6 servo options, and wondered about the factory servo.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:49 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Another bonus for the honcho…. I don’t know when this happened, but I just happen to have a spare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Holy schmokes! @ that sidewall. I suppose that with a 25 lb rig, more durable tires might be a necessary upgrade. I'll bet it's a lot of fun on the trails. Congrats on the purchase and thanks for the unbiased straightforward review.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:24 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Ain’t it the truth. It does worry me a bit that it tore within the first two (long) days. I wonder if any of the aftermarket tires are tougher. The sidewalls feel just like any other regular tire, not especially tougher than like a 4.75 for my 10th scale. Time will tell.

It really is fun though. And I just love that honcho look so much… I am tempted to test my painting skills to put an exterior paint on it to make it look even more scale. I got the tan one so with a tan exterior paint, once it scratches up should still look pretty decent I’d think. I am definitely not babying So it is getting scratched up quickly. I’m babying my other new rig that I painted myself, but I’m dragging this guys doors across rocks.

(Spoiler alert, I drove in there for the pic, but admit I had to back it out.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2022, 05:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That's awesome... had I known that was coming, I would have never bought the Jeep. The Honcho looks so much better imo!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:32 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Great review Chilly! I agree totally about the stock servo, it's just not up to the task to steer that big boy around. I have the jeep but I do like the look of the Honcho. May have to save up for one.
UZI4U is offline   Reply With Quote

Holy moly I bought a SCX6 Honcho! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX6 Trail Honcho FastMatt Large Scale Rigs 24 11-18-2022 06:35 AM
Today I bought my Holy Grail. (Marui Big Bear restomod) addiemonster Non Crawler RC's 3 09-15-2020 05:31 PM
steel, stainless, aluminum, moly derowens88 Tools, and Procedures 7 05-20-2012 08:35 AM
the ODDEST internet VID you will ever see!!!!Holy Moly.... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 26 01-17-2012 12:21 PM
I bought the 4 link truss, but I have a HONCHO CarLo Axial SCX-10 10 03-18-2010 06:53 AM