Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Looking for local SCX6 to take on outdated Clodbuster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2024, 09:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Looking for local SCX6 to take on outdated Clodbuster

Lol like the title says...

Any willing guppies? Its been so long for me but recently got my trucks back up and running, quirks worked out. Something about the snow that does it to me this time of year. Wanna snow bash!

Anyways --- So many new cool bigazz rigs out there nowadays --- my truck is no longer that unique size-wise.

Anyways -- looking for someone with an SCX6 willing to meet up in N.E. Ohio area (Nelson's/Kennedy Ledges, Chagrin Falls river area, etc) ----

Lets pit the two rigs and see if ClodBuster's still got it. LOL i doubt it with the regularity that i formerly had issues.

But i just worked out the quirks and did two days crawling around the prop with no failures. New 120Amp waterproof esc's are settling in nice. Also new steering servo brace idea is working like BUTTER!!!! all these years and it was right in front of my eyes...

Here's your competition...... Friendly of course! no stakes,, just for FUN!!!

My top speed is about 4-5pmh is that helps, i don't do much wheelspeed so you've already got there by a long shot.

Heck all trucks and sizes LFG!! winter romp. I know - post it in th locals. I will there too in a couple days, no rush, hoping for snow or mud lol.

Pic link - hope this is ok? mods please delete if not - -
NewBright F150 Raptor - https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...lodbuster2.jpg
NewBright Jeep Rubicon TJ - LED city!!! - https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...203_023227.jpg

Teaser vid on the tube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyoo8CVnJ3s

I plan to try and keep an embed here to the most recent vid posted -- Rig has morphed alot in a short time, i keep improving it. Its close to a finished build, few minor items left to hit on. as of 3.4.24 - Otherwise ther's ALOT of chatter and other vids posting in here somewat off topic, no biggie i don't care but here's the LATEST if you want ot get right to the BRASS TAX

Last edited by WRXronald; 03-04-2024 at 04:10 AM.
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2024, 09:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Looking for local SCX6 to take on outdated Clodbuster

Successfull test today in the yard...

Ready to hit some hard rocks!! Little vid of the test run here -

https://youtu.be/TvAlD0LkuQw?si=gXWaAyDbyHb0jMlx
Old 02-05-2024, 06:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

the scx6 will dwarf the clodbuster and the new bights even if they claim 6th scale
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:24 AM   #4

Good to see some old school big rigs!

The photo links are fine, but embedding, like I have done below, makes it more convenient for the reader.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:35 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

LOL thank you Jato the Ripper!! But i don't see anything embedded on your post? Points appreciated, i tried embedding but didn't seem to take, i'm a novice!

Anyways --- to the trucks!!! I'm bored lol. Have some weird energy here in '24.

So, Ferp420, lets see if we can get you to snack on your words..............

LOL just playin. But seriosly -- I'm about to unveil my best CLOD mods yet. Gotta keeps up with the SCX6'rs.

You say it dwards CLOD, but that just depends how you build it. The NEW BRIGHT rigs you obviously have never laid eyes on the 1/6th scale bodies.

Look at pics of my JEEP Rubicon -- its BIG. Just doesn't have the wheelbase.

Bottom line -- i know i'm fighting an uphill battle ---- but I bet my rig will outcrawl SCX6 all day and night when its done.

My tires are bigger.

I have two motors.

I have MASSIVE CENTER CLEARANCE.

And i'm about to get an EXTENSION (not from the IRS lol) and rock some custom cedar-woo flatbed action and you guessed it.....

19.74inch wheelbase (matching the new C10 body from Proline for SCX6).

That Proline SCX6 C10 body is 11.6 inches wide with a 19.74inch wheelbase.

My truck is being streched as we speak and already is set at 19.74 inche wheelbase and after my PizzaCutter job on both the Rock Crushers and 3.8 aluminum RC4WD beadlocks i tip out at 14inches width (down from 15 inches wide -- -which was WIDER THAN stock SCX6 thank you very much).

Anyways -- SCX6 not as big as you think. Sure its heavy, but theres another advantage, i'm tiny big skinnier and also lighter, a big advantage.

No battle to win here -- SCX6 takes the "scale" cake all day. My rig is just cooler and I am about to finally have it were i've wanted it for YEARS.

Got the servo issue figured out with the new braces. Got the axle floating issue figured out with a brass tube shim, and adding drag brake RHINO 80A's next week.

Lets go. Someone produce the SCX6 please and we'll settle this.

All FUN, no actual bets for me thanks, and I really just want a chance to see someones SCX6 in action and figure out how big this thing really is!!!!!

By measurements/specs --- i'm not too terribly far in size at all with my CLOD setup as a flatbed at 19.74 wheelbase.

Also adding HD Knuckes with dual sided bearings front/rear --- i stripped a top knuckle thread working on it last night :(

Here ya go --- Youtube short of my new layout (in the works still i this vid but taking shape nicely) side by side TRX4 stock with RC Killerbody LC70 Landcruiser.

https://youtube.com/shorts/jEYNOfURx...Of1qQKDSB3EBF_

Also -- thank you both for replying - nice to see there are still people here lmao.

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-11-2024 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

And from a basher persective,

The SCX6 is untouchable, especially now that Vitavon made everything in 7075.

The strength (and weight) of 7075 over 6061 simply CANNOT be overlooked.

6061 is soft and bendable. 7075 is HARDHARDHARD comparatively and it will not bend out of shape readily, flex is not exisetent in this weight class based on how beefy the axles and towers looked in pics to me.

'bout time a rig like this was available mass production - pretty dang cool. I wish i had one but i'd still Love to CLOD more for its roots to the old days.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:21 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

callin you out Ferp....

Where's your SCX6? Let's see who's dwarfing who

https://youtube.com/shorts/6cpJrT0YgJU?feature=share

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-11-2024 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:57 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

well my scx6 Isent built yet but it's not your average scx6 it's at least 6 inches longer than stock and is completely custom
the transmission alone out ways my clod busters rtr
fact clod on 3.8 wheels 7.5 inch tall tires and 35t motor on 3s = snapped axle shafts I know that for a fact I have a pile of broken shafts to prove it you can't put enuff power down to even be in the same league as the scx6 there is no comparison by reading your posts I don't think you have ever seen a scx6 in person let alone held one or got a good look at one

anyway here's a clod on 7.5 inch tires

my jugg buster
https://youtu.be/5t3v1Wsz2bA?si=pSfmoEElw0NEVaL1
https://youtu.be/11zqwEVB40g?si=W5poMoeRUC-u7FQs
https://youtu.be/REGp8Q8D0ao?si=W83o05NCa_MQWX_5
here's the track or race clod the $45 clod score

and here's the scx6 build thread scx6 honcho from scratch

unfortunately most of the pictures from my new bright 6th scale builds went away but there are a few of them still there anyway I have some videos of them
this one is the same body your clod has on it but I red
https://youtu.be/W9gPo28apLI?si=CaVh5TTu9bbO68OH
https://youtu.be/l75SLnOEn5k?si=lHLDoiHPZvYe-jlj
here's the new bright dodge body
https://youtu.be/n83YjikYB_s?si=MglpDZ-VGva4OKBP
f150 non raptor new bright
https://youtu.be/8gCzpB_9mPI?si=uCx0x0rJrSdWOEwl

and well if the scx6 Isent big enuff take a peek at this big boy it's been built broke stripped and packed away till I can find some decent axles for it 1/4 scale wraith the max-W note there a pic of it in its current form in the scx6 build thread just to get a idea of its size

here is a 1/6th scale jeep a nylint for axialfest buildhere it is climbing idle issues in Johnson valley next to chocolate thunder
https://youtu.be/lgkr5SGiGDM?si=VczrsS1TtvsG4rAh

here is a 1/7-1/6th scale new bright build project splash another scx6 newbright build

Last edited by ferp420; 02-11-2024 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:59 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'll do some side by side comparison pics later
Old 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

LOL....

I too have a pile of broken CLOD AXLES!!!! I broke plenty of sets... running 8.25 inch tires actually --- taller than SCX6.

The stretched SCX6's.... well sure i get it i agree -- dont stand a chance and will dwarf my CLOD...

Saw one on the tube at 22.5 inch as a Gladiator setup -- very cool. Also saw one (no offroading but climbing stairs) as a SCX6 6x6 !!!! WHOA.

So yes I see the SCX6 axles are quite beefy and CLOD doesn't have it going on there --- there is no way you can do 12s and thrash like wiht Vitavon axles.

BUT --- I have been running TTR (Thunder Tiger Racing) hardened steel version after breaking serveral sets of Hot Racing upgrade steel axles.

Thunder Tiger got it figured out and have been thrashing these axles in the CLOD with 8 inch tires on 4s and 6s (but not going fast, just binding rock crawl situations) and the TTR CVD's hold up AMAZINGLY!!!!!

Haven't broken one yet, and have a spare set on reserve in case i do because i thought for sure they would break eventually and they just dont break.

So yeah, stock, the CLOD has plastic gears and junk axles, no doubt 3s will break them.

Anyways -- sound like your rig will be awesome --

I'm still looking for a local --- as you're right --- I have not seen the SCX6 in person --- i'm just going on photos and measurements.

By meassurements -- my truck is every bit as big. Unless the ruler or the manufacturer is lying ---- stock SCX6 is not bigger unless you are going by weight i guess. But heavy is not good for rock crawling really.

Good luck with your build, sounds like it will be bad to the bone!!
Old 02-11-2024, 08:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

is there a build thread on that rig I would love to see more of it I love clods there a lot of fun

the first time I saw the scx6 in person I was like well there not that big but once I started ordering parts I was like damb these parts are huge
Old 02-11-2024, 10:19 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
is there a build thread on that rig I would love to see more of it I love clods there a lot of fun

the first time I saw the scx6 in person I was like well there not that big but once I started ordering parts I was like damb these parts are huge
Sorry, i'm not one for build threads.

There are some old threads here about it i think -- and some very old youtube videos at Neslon's Ledges i met up with somebody from here and we rigged out.

I bought in '06 from RC4WD custom rtr i didn't know much jack on crawlers it was a comp Motor-over-axle clod conversion --- looked like a competition big scale crawler and had 3.8 moab's, not a scale thing at all.

I began to like scale and got determined to make it look that way, ditched the competition chassis and built my own junker out of aluminum L channel from homedepot. VERY PRIMITIVE BUILD is about all you need to know lmao.

Axles i upgraded with time as they broke, but did start with all metal 32 pitch gearing and RC4WD Trac-Gear Lockers, but the housing and whatnot were plastic junk. I stipped out the plastic housing under so much load the inner pin that holds the counter gear litterlly ovalled out the plastic seat. From there i knew i needed the uber rare steel alloy housings.

Videos abrutly ended after i busted Hot Racing alxes one after another and didn't get onto to the TTR cvd's for a bit and then just lost the drive to keep her going -- shelf queened for a few years. Came back as a F150 with the TTR CVD's and then had the plastic axle housing issue, servo/steering problems that put her to resst for more years.

Now she's back and badder (yes not a word i know) than ever.

I've hit the TTR CVD's real hard in a number of nasty no win situations (there is NO SLIPPER in a clod at all, and 32 pitch gears) and I'm going to the next level with them. This 20inch wheelbase stretch is going to bind up the rear alot harder now so we'll see how long they last.

I want an SCX6 so bad but watching peops work on them, I remember its actually real WORK muscling around on big 20lb RC rigs in the winter when repairs are needed. Maybe i'm just lazy lol.

The guiy who did XMAXX vs SCX6 pulling war quickly ran into a stripping slipper clutch in high gear in his rig ----- no big deal right - nothing actually broke - cool. But actually, no, not at all cool. I'd rather pay good money for the part than ALL THE TIME it took removing 90 screws to get to the slpper inside the trans just to tighten it down and maybe it even slips again eventually. DUMB, a waste. Frustrating stuff that sets rigs on the shelf till theres time in life for repair and they sit for years.

it happens all too often in RC.

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-11-2024 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

More fun for ferp!!!!

Can an SCX6 clearance 1/10th scales like this!?

Oh yeah -- debut too lol - JEEP RUBICON TJ BRUTE - 1/6th Flatbed Clodbuster Beastie!!!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/f2mxWwNNBZE?feature=share
Old 02-11-2024, 11:06 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Trying to embed as Jato suggested... a walkaround of the Brute...

Admittedly it has work yet on the body, but get the general idea. I think i might just like it more than the Raptor

But the Raptor is def best for performance -- lighter and flexible/plyable/TOUGH thick molded plastic.

The Rubicon is hard and oh so much more brittle as the years have ticked on for it; but just looks so darn good with that wood bed!! dam i'm lovin it.

wire extensions and rhino's esc's soon -- then hopefully some darn cool drag brake performance on the rocks!!

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-11-2024 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:34 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Default ON-BOARD AIR - new addition!

lol i know i'm kinda starting a pissing match here that i lose all day long.... but how 'bout a littie more creative fun.

Talk about outdated crawler tech... lmao whats that you say, the SCX6 is running FOAMS in its tires? Who's still running those toxic thingies from 1999 in their rig? and we think Injora anti-foams are the new tech answer..... hilarious.

Just playin' but here's a cool idea (yes i know i'm far from the first to come up with air in rc truck tires) and its been working well on the trail for me for a good little while now -- just figured i'd add the pump to the new flatbed setup and be "on-board" with it.

Just need a little electric motor air-pump and i'll be full LEGIT on-board air for the trail.

Foams - not adjustable w/out disassembling wheel/tire and having a costly different set, don't work all that great, wear-out, aren't that realistic, and if done proper there is a hole in your wheel that will allow water in -- soaked foams weigh out very different than non, same for tires fill with water. Sink bad in mudding situations -- not ideal at all.

Tubular air - "on board" at all times fully adjustable at the trail for any situation just like real crawling, air ALL the way deown for that toughest rock spot, and then air ALL the way back up for MAXIMUM FLOATAGE just 50ft later when you get to that nasty sticky spacky MUD BOG, tires are cut&shut so all the water falls right out of them easily as they are not a water-tight seal or even close - the inner tubes are air-tight so there is no need for tire seal of air/water on the outer tire itself - the rig sink when tires are flat (all metal and heavy) or float in deeper water (not desirable) when tires are aired up - but then you lose traction on the bottom of the creek bed etc.

Also -- imagine the possibilities of being able to tune up or down the front and rear inflation separately -- easily increase or decrease grips at any of the four corners simply by airing up/down. Can foams even think about that without squishing in their shorts?

AIR IS BETTER!!!! ;) Cost less than $30 for all 4 tubes from an electric scooter - 8 inch.

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-12-2024 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:37 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXronald View Post
More fun for ferp!!!!

Can an SCX6 clearance 1/10th scales like this!?

Oh yeah -- debut too lol - JEEP RUBICON TJ BRUTE - 1/6th Flatbed Clodbuster Beastie!!!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/f2mxWwNNBZE?feature=share
the terrain I usually crawl on is vary steep my rigs need to be long and low here is a quick lol video of my back yard course lol

https://youtu.be/E504jEVsrGM?si=KP8iF7c4WoUv8xkP

I don't usually use foams I run the inner tire support system it's kinda a tube tire highbread and uses a air gap to get that air down affect I tried air filled hated them it was like driving on basket balls I do really like the 3d printed tire inserts though there flipping awesome expensive but worth it

Last edited by ferp420; 02-12-2024 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:59 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

ok a few comparison pictures from different rigs here it is on its homemade frame rails next to the other rigs

and here is the body in comparison to the other new bright "1/6" scale rigs and something that never crossed my mind in anyway shape or form the yeti xl

if the body set wasn't so damb expensive I would have the honcho on the yeti xl
also the yeti xl cage would fit the scx6 chassis really good so I might think about building another scx6 to put the yxl cage on

Last edited by ferp420; 02-12-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:07 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

oh and scx6 axle width with aftermarket tires and wheels no extra spacers are right at 15 inches it's kinda hard to tell in the pics but there right at 15 lol

Old 02-12-2024, 07:46 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Yep well most of the rigs in those pics do no good for telling scale comparison because i can't tell how big they are.

Add a 12oz soda can and take some pics and i'll do same and then we'll have a REAL benchmark for size comparison.

My rig standard 3.8 40series tires and wheels is OVER 15 inches wide.

I cut and shut my 40 series wheels tires to make them Pizza Cutters so they are each .75 inches more narrow than stock.

And my width today sits at 14 inches --- add 1.5 and i wa prevsiouly at 15.5 inches wide.

My rig is very bit as big as an SCX6, its just not dwarfed by any stretch of the measure.

I have --- ALL metal axles and steel trusses, all metal big teeth 32 pitch gears with 7075 aluminum spools and hardended steel axles 8nm shafts to take 17mm hardware.

AND i run bigger tires than SCX6 meaning more rotational force when torque is applied.

FULLY BUILT -- the CLODBUSTER is a BEAST, always has been, always will be and SCX6 may be eating a bit of its lunch but there is no way i'm selling my CLOD for one.

I will maybe grab a used one for a friend to drive and so we can do some video comparisons together.

Doesn't seem like anyone here is brave enough to get their SCX6 out on the trial next to the GIANT CLOD.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:51 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Just watch my vid embedded above of the CLOD towering over top of the Tamiya TT02 Drift 1/10 rc car -- theres over 1.5 inches of center clearance over the car.

SCX6 can't even fit the Tamiya TT02 car entirely underneath it!!!!

Let alone sport the massive clearnace over it my Clod is showing in the vid.

Looking for local SCX6 to take on outdated Clodbuster - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
our forum is outdated... CM9000 Chit Chat 23 05-01-2018 08:02 AM
Is the Definitive ESC, motor and battery thread....outdated! redsawacs Electronics 0 11-15-2013 09:02 AM
Local newspaper does a write up about our crawler club & local ORV park Nova's Ark Chit Chat 9 05-28-2013 07:31 PM
Pro-Line M2 Hammer sadly outdated? VeryBumpy Tires and Wheels 16 04-23-2009 08:46 PM
differences in the clodbuster and super clodbuster axles? STANG KILLA SS Newbie General 3 05-25-2006 01:00 PM