Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Heat ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Heat ??

So, I have only run the stock nimh battey for two charges. I put a 2 cell lipo in and notice quite a bit of heat after 6 minutes or so.The esc/rx combo is warm, battery cool but the motor is smokin hot, like hot enough to cause you to pull your finger away fairly quickly. I didnt temp it but I am guessing it was close to 140*.

I have added a full wrap of 3/16 fishing lead rope inside the wheel and added a small 3/8 galv lock washer to the center hub. I know this will cause extra strain......

Anybody else notice warm temps ?? stock or modified ?? I wish I would have paid attention when it was unweighted for comparison.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Yeah, we have noticed the heat, we had 4 going in the shop tonight and everyone of them, the motor got real hot. I'm running the 2S lipo and the ESC got a little warm, but not to bad, and another guy is running a lipo and his ESC also got a little warm.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
So, I have only run the stock nimh battey for two charges. I put a 2 cell lipo in and notice quite a bit of heat after 6 minutes or so.The esc/rx combo is warm, battery cool but the motor is smokin hot, like hot enough to cause you to pull your finger away fairly quickly. I didnt temp it but I am guessing it was close to 140*.

I have added a full wrap of 3/16 fishing lead rope inside the wheel and added a small 3/8 galv lock washer to the center hub. I know this will cause extra strain......

Anybody else notice warm temps ?? stock or modified ?? I wish I would have paid attention when it was unweighted for comparison.
I don't have one yet, but you have to remember switching to lipo almost doubles the voltage, that combined with the extra weight is sure to cause some heat. Maybe try installing some sort of heat sink?
forrest225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

A 3S and one of these.....

http://www.slotcar-fever.com/proddet...prod=PAR%2D458
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i been running the the Losi micro T lipo and my elctronics do get warm, but i swore i heard that these things are built to handle the 7.4
Joeyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodJosh View Post
Hmmm, now to over come the esc side of it.

Speaking of which, I just put the stock battery back in and noticed that there was only a green light lit on the esc. When the lipo is in there is a green and yellow led lit. Is that indicating lipo cut off active or overheat or over voltage or ???? The light comes on as soon as the lipo is plugged in.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyblaze View Post
i been running the the Losi micro T lipo and my elctronics do get warm, but i swore i heard that these things are built to handle the 7.4
Thats what I have heard also, but cant seem to find a lot of info/details about it or how it functions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Yeah, we have noticed the heat, we had 4 going in the shop tonight and everyone of them, the motor got real hot. I'm running the 2S lipo and the ESC got a little warm, but not to bad, and another guy is running a lipo and his ESC also got a little warm.
Good to hear I am not the only one ,I think:?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225 View Post
I don't have one yet, but you have to remember switching to lipo almost doubles the voltage, that combined with the extra weight is sure to cause some heat. Maybe try installing some sort of heat sink?
yep, for sure,may have to try that as I could actually smell the heat...thats what drew it to my attention.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thats what I have heard also, but cant seem to find a lot of info/details about it or how it functions
i think it was in the video and some guy was interviewing another guys at hobby expo
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

yes, it is compatible and is supposed to detect the lipo battery and change the low voltage cut off to account for it.

1/24 Losi Micro Crawler eye candy and tweaks
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyblaze View Post
i think it was in the video and some guy was interviewing another guys at hobby expo
I just saw that video while trying to find more info about it. It was Rich being interviewed and he said it was built into the esc, good news, as I was hoping we didnt have to use secific lipos with built in cut off circuitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
yes, it is compatible and is supposed to detect the lipo battery and change the low voltage cut off to account for it.
I am starting to think that is what the yellow light on the esc means

1/24 Losi Micro Crawler eye candy and tweaks
Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #11

Quote:

Yeah the Atomic BB motor I put in was putting off some heat. May switch back to stocker. Would rather cook that one than the BB.
IssyCrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

how did she work with the BB2?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #13

I have the first BB. Not the real ball bearinging'd BB II. I liked the wheel speed gain, but not the hot motor or shorter batt life.
IssyCrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssyCrwlr View Post
I have the first BB. Not the real ball bearinging'd BB II. I liked the wheel speed gain, but not the hot motor or shorter batt life.
PM sent
Old 11-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Just temped everything

Stock battery: esc was 87* motor was 97* after 8 min

2s lipo: esc 92*,motor 141* after 8 min

Anybody now where to get a small heat sink?,I need to try something or this motor isnt going to last long.

I may try gearing down, but I dont want to give up the extra wheel speed
Old 11-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Just temped everything

Stock battery: esc was 87* motor was 97* after 8 min

2s lipo: esc 92*,motor 141* after 8 min

Anybody now where to get a small heat sink?,I need to try something or this motor isnt going to last long.

I may try gearing down, but I dont want to give up the extra wheel speed
Not sure if it will work but... http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...2552&cat_name=
Old 11-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225 View Post
Thanks, does that actually attach to thge motor ? or some other component on the micro T? I am not familiar with the layout on the Micro T
Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
www.team3sixrc.com

Nahhh, that fits on the rear of the truck for Micro T's it wraps around the motor rather than on the motor.

Give me a minute as I seen something that might help this issue.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
www.team3sixrc.com

OK, its a $5.00 motor so if you wannna cook it then cook it. I guess the gearing issue is in the tranny that is causing the problem. according to one of my buddies, He replaced his motor with an RS4 micro high torque and the problem went away somewhat. The other thing he said you should try is perhaps change the pinion out to lower the temps, or goto a micro brushless set up for heli's as they are designed to handle more heat. My buddy is trying to rebuild the truck into a scaler and ran into your same issues.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Nahhh, that fits on the rear of the truck for Micro T's it wraps around the motor rather than on the motor.

Give me a minute as I seen something that might help this issue.
I wasn't sure since I don't have a micro-t, and i'm still waiting for my micro crawler