Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: binding in the tranny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default binding in the tranny

Has or can any one else take off ther tranny, take out the motor and try to spin the tranny by turning the Spur gear. Mine was smooth but on portion. so i tore her all part, put her back togather and still the same thing. its driving me nuts?

Last edited by Joeyblaze; 11-25-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Joeyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Yea mine has 1 spot that it kind of clicks likes it's catching on something But I haven't had time to pull it apart.
HiLuckyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Mine does the same. took it apart last night and found that the gears in the tranny are not perfectly round, causing binding. I found where it was binding and SLOWLY filed the gears to fit. File, test, file, test,.....etc. It's a lot better now, but still not quite perfect. Helped a bunch with low speed throttle control because now the motor doesnt have to fight the gears.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Mine does the same. took it apart last night and found that the gears in the tranny are not perfectly round, causing binding. I found where it was binding and SLOWLY filed the gears to fit. File, test, file, test,.....etc. It's a lot better now, but still not quite perfect. Helped a bunch with low speed throttle control because now the motor doesnt have to fight the gears.
yeah i basicly did the same as well
Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

hey joey, fully charge your battery or two if you have em. and turn the thing upside down and let it run with no pressure on the drivetrain. mine did the same thing for a bit. but after 2 packs upside down the gears were broken in. like getbent said above its because the gears arent perfectly round. so you let them wear into each other and it will go away pretty quick
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Mine is the same way, but they are taking their sweet time breaking in. I wait a little longer before I tear into it, as I know once I take it apart I will end up building a new chassis etc......
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocresq View Post
Mine is the same way, but they are taking their sweet time breaking in. I wait a little longer before I tear into it, as I know once I take it apart I will end up building a new chassis etc......
I have the same (or similar) binding issues. The sound was very anoying and I could tell something wasn't right. I couldn't wait any longer and dissembled mine. I found two issues.

1. The output gear is warped (on mine). It does not run true on the output shaft...it wobbles side to side. I tried to clean and re-seat the gear on the shaft but the gear is simply warped. There is no debris or anything on neither the shaft or the gear where they mate in the "square".

That being said. I don't thing that's where the binding is.

2. The binding occurs at one specific spot per revolution of the output shaft. This indicates there is an issue with the output gear teeth. Problem is it's so small I can't see where to clean, file or tweak (I will have to wait until daytime as my work area lighting isn't cutting it). I do have a magnifying glass but the lighting is reaking havoc on using properly.

Can't say for sure but I think the output gear in the tranny is simply a bad part (again on my truck). Being both warped and potentially one or two deformed teeth or gaps.

I will try to get some macro photos or a video...maybe we can digitally zoom and find the anomaly on the teeth.

I love this truck but couldn't stand the sound (and knowing) of the binding. At some point it's bound to wear out or break prematurely because of this.

That's what I got so far. I hope to update in a day or so.

Maybe Rich from Losi reads these threads and could off some advice or direction?

Thanks.
Hankinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

SAME.
(copy and paste of my post (funny how similar mine is to Hakinator's) from this thread: Anyone experiencing binding worm gears?)

Just got into my transmission.

1. Spur/Pinion mesh was WAY off. The two sides of the slipper disk don't center the spur on the output. Messed with it for 10 minutes. I think it's a first run "problem?" Finally got it to about 90 percent by running the throttle with one hand and tightening the slipper with the other. Yeah, give it a try.

BUT my binding wasn't gone.

2. Pulled the tranny and found a pretty glaring problem. Tranny is DEFINITELY binding. From the factory. Turning the shafts by hand (finger) produces a grinding every rotation. When it's not grinding it's smooth as butta. Don't even have to "pinch" with my fingers to turn it. When it's bound it takes considerably more pressure to turn the shaft. I can't tell what it is. Output shaft doesn't look bent. Output shaft gear OOR? Spur gear OOR? Bad bearing? It's almost as if the seat for the bearing in the cover is MICRONS off. Goes away with the cover off. Comes back with cover on. EDIT: just flip-flopped the OS bearings: no change.

Wondering if Rich is perusing this thread? I'm going to try to get video. The grinding is pretty audible.

EDIT: VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b3-KErVCyE

***HAS anyone PM'd Rich? Joeyblaze? I don't want to hammer him with the same pm he's gotten from 10 other people. I DO want to make sure he knows about this thread though.

Last edited by shimey; 11-29-2009 at 10:07 AM.
shimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #9

see this is what happens when you make modifications , you get problems or maybe it really just is the gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub599 View Post
hey joey, fully charge your battery or two if you have em. and turn the thing upside down and let it run with no pressure on the drivetrain. mine did the same thing for a bit. but after 2 packs upside down the gears were broken in. like getbent said above its because the gears arent perfectly round. so you let them wear into each other and it will go away pretty quick

i had binding on mine but only for min, i came here and searched advice, this really does work and there is absolutely NO i repeat NO GREASE IN THE TRANNY AND AXLES

Last edited by THX_138; 10-26-2016 at 11:39 PM.
crawler182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler182 View Post
i had binding on mine but only for min, i came here and searched advice, this really does work and there is absolutely NO i repeat NO GREASE IN THE TRANNY AND AXLES
When I did the tranny flip, I found a light grease in my tranny, I don't know about my axles. I was disappointed to find that the tranny case is open by the motor. When I tear into it again, I'll see about sealing that with some monokote or a decal.
Mac The Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
see this is what happens when you make modifications , you get problems or maybe it really just is the gears
Thanks for the completely useless thread clutter. Just trying to build up your posts to get in for sale? Thx, bye.

I don't think this is an issue of run in or break in. I just ran my tranny through a full pack (losi 2s lipo from my micro dt) to "break in" the gears. Catches in the same spot and grinds just the same as before.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimey View Post
Thanks for the completely useless thread clutter. Just trying to build up your posts to get in for sale? Thx, bye.

I don't think this is an issue of run in or break in. I just ran my tranny through a full pack (losi 2s lipo from my micro dt) to "break in" the gears. Catches in the same spot and grinds just the same as before.
loosen the 4 screws that hold the tranny cover on. dont loosen then much but loosen then about 1/2 turn. if i tighten mine down too much they start binding but if i loosen them just a touch it stops
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

^^^ Thanks for the tip. On your suggestion, I tried it, and several variations...but no joy. Still grinding/binding/stalling.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thats like saying putting gas in a truck will mess it up
slashracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimey View Post
***HAS anyone PM'd Rich? Joeyblaze? I don't want to hammer him with the same pm he's gotten from 10 other people. I DO want to make sure he knows about this thread though.
I PM'd Rich from Losi when I first made my post in this thread and asked him to follow this thread. No response yet, but it is a holiday weekend.

I did some more "work" on mine and finally gave up and put my rig back together binding and all. I can't stand knowing it's binding but I also can't stand my new rig being disassembled on my bench.

Another post on up or on another page mentions the gear isn't round. I got my digi calipers out and it showed a few hundreds of mm out of round. This couple with my gear not running "true"...IE warped...wobble I believe creates the binding.

I don't want to take my rig back to get it replaced over this. I would much rather have Losi or Horizon replace the gear or even tranny.

Also, on my rig the spur and slipper look fine and appear to run smooth and true.

Does anyone know if any of these tranny parts are the same in any other losi micros? Could I buy something that is a direct replacement for a micro t that is essentially the same gear? I do not own any other micros so I don't know anything about their gear boxes.

Thanks...

Last edited by Hankinator; 11-29-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hankinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankinator View Post
I PM'd Rich from Losi when I first made my post in this thread and asked him to follow this thread. No response yet, but it is a holiday weekend.
Cool. Don't want to bug him, but I'd like to get his take on it.

Quote:
I did some more "work" on mine and finally gave up and put my rig back together binding and all. I can't stand knowing it's binding but I also can't stand my new rig being disassembled on my bench.
SAME. Want to run the thing, just BUGS that it doesn't run right. When wheel speed is up, I don't notice...except for the gear noise. But when CRAWLING...(where's my irony smiley?) it really stalls. Maddening.

Quote:
Another post on up or on another page mentions the gear isn't round. I got my digi calipers out and it showed a few hundreds of mm out of round. This couple with my gear not running "true"...IE warped...wobble I believe creates the binding.
If this is THE problem we should try to get some pics posted. I'm out of town for three days, but when I get back I'll tear it back down and get my calipers on it.

Quote:
I don't want to take my rig back to get it replaced over this. I would much rather have Losi or Horizon replace the gear or even tranny.
Amen. I feel the same way.

Quote:
Also, on my rig the spur and slipper look fine and appear to run smooth and true.
LOLZ. I wish. I've found that if I get it adjusted just....so, the first time I bind it up and it slips, it's back to "egg rolling down a hill" action.

Quote:
Does anyone know if any of these tranny parts are the same in any other losi micros? Could I buy something that is a direct replacement for a micro t that is essentially the same gear? I do not own any other micros so I don't know anything about their gear boxes.

Thanks...
The only thing that looks compatible is the spur assembly. Output shaft looks similar but the gear diameter looks different and the PN's don't match in the exploded views on losi.com. I didn't count teeth, but the Micro DT spur is about a millimeter smaller diameter than the Micro crawler on my calipers. Slipper plates, blue o-rings and nut all look the same.

THANKS - Let us know if you hear from Rich. Peace - ck
Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Hank and shimey i think your both dead on, as i feel mine are the same way. I just sprayed the crap out of them with Moo Slick and then re built. Hopping for a fix or hop up to get rid of this problem
Old 11-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
FYI...Rich responded to my PM and said he would look at this thread.

Thanks Rich!
Awesome. Thanks.

And thanks to Rich (again!) for representing us here on the forums. I'm sure "hanging out with whiny internet bishes" is not in your job description.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I just got my micro today and it has the same binding issue. It sure makes being precise with the throttle tough when you're fighting the gearbox (especially with the lipo). Hopefully horizon will come out with a fix for this....and some new shocks with lighter springs...
EKIM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Went a head and tried to figure this problem out on mine as well with no luck. I found the problem gear, marked where it's binding and took a hobby knife between the teeth to try and clean it.. Nothing. Even try sanding it down a little with some 2000.. nothing. Then I ran it with the battery hooked to the motor and the crawler upside down threw a pack and still nothing! Hopefully losi will acknowledge this because the low speed driveabilty would be really nice to have.
woodymaxx is offline   Reply With Quote