Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: micro motor options ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

What size are the motors?
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

i have a xceleron 1/36 brushless system for sale with a micro desert truck and ima b getting a micro rock crawler for christmas would it b worth to just keep the brushless system???

also how will the driveterain and worm gears be once u start hitting like 10 15 mph????? melt? deform??

thanks
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

i doubt i will be an issue or that fast....

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 12-16-2009 at 04:25 PM.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
i doubt i will be an issue or that fast....
ok i hope it all works well but problem is i need 2 get a reciever for it if i run the brushless, im not sure if its worth it. wht do u guys think?

sell the brushless combo with my losi desert truck for 60 bux which i can put towards purchase of micro crawler? or keep the brushless system, miss out on 60 bux, and buy a 100 dollar micro spektrum reciever?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

You have the lil Micro ESC right?

ito be honest, id keep the DT and the BL systm for that, and actually put the BL in your DT.

then Buy a BND Micro Crawler and buy lipos.

it would be cool to set up, but its not like neccessary. the stock motor and ESC w/ lipo has gobs of power and speed.

plus this way you have a BL DT thats fast as hell, and a Micro crawler as well.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
You have the lil Micro ESC right?

ito be honest, id keep the DT and the BL systm for that, and actually put the BL in your DT.

then Buy a BND Micro Crawler and buy lipos.

it would be cool to set up, but its not like neccessary. the stock motor and ESC w/ lipo has gobs of power and speed.

plus this way you have a BL DT thats fast as hell, and a Micro crawler as well.
i have a bone stock micro t, a DT with BL and 3s lipo, and gona get the crawler. i DO NOT want the DT anymore i never play with it. i need 2 keep the micro t cuz its a awsome tiny micro t4, n ill never sell it.

- the DT is STUPID fast esp on a 350mah 3s lipo, its not even fun 2 drive anymore, it cant even handle half the speed its capable of unless ur on perfect smooth floor.

so heres the plan.
-micro crawler with brushless setup/spektrum reciever
-micro t will recieve the crawlers stock esc n reciever n hitec micro servo since the new esc/reciever combo has a 3wire servo input! (now both trucks im keeping are 2.4GHz!)
-Micro desert truck gets micro t's stock am reciever/esc and will b for sale for like 45 bux!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Yep, heres the specs. Stock motor has 57 turns, one ball bearing in the can and a brass bushing in the end cap. I rewound mine to 80 turns using some slightly smaller guage wire from an automotive relay. It has better low end control now and good torque, but still seems to have plenty of wheel speed. I wish I had a stock one to compare it to side by side to see the real difference, but so far I am happy with it, barely gets warm after a full pack of crawling. I also prefer the stock battery over the lipo since it gives less voltage and therefore slower crawling speeds.
dang, i have never messed with winding motors. is it pretty easy? take a long time? is it risky? I really want the low end control my other rigs have! a write up would be awesome, I think many others would appreciate as well!

aprox what gauge is it before i rip into mine?

FYI
If you get good at it, I bet you could resell some modded motors, there are lots of people who would love a micro crawler motor.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

hey "getbent", how did you get the motor apart? the bearing fits so tight on mine i cant get the shaft to slide out of the bearing.

i did pull apart my xmod motor to try to steal some wire from. does it have to be continuous wire or can it be soldered together?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

I had to use a file or dremel and slowly file down the splines on the motor shaft until it would slide through the bearing. After reassembly, the pinion is a loose fit, so I used solder to flow around the shaft and build it up a bit so the pinion would fit tight. Maybe not the best way, but it was the best I could come up with. If anyone else has an idea, we're all ears. BTW, its been working fine!

As for the wire, if at all possible try to use one solid strand from start to finish. If you have to break it into smaller pieces, try to complete the windings on one section and make your splice at the solder joint on the armature, then go to the windings on the next section.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

They must spline the shaft after the bearing is in at the factory huh? Did you remove all the wire and start fresh? Or just add more?

Would added perhaps a few hard drive magnets to the outside of the can have the same effect? All I really wanna do is slow it down at low throttle.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

So I thought about it and tried and it worked in two tries. I used a hollow handle screw driver and held it in line with the motor can pressing the bearing out. You are right about the shaft being attached well to the bearing. It came apart with the bearing still holding onto it! Now it will be a matter of finding how to rewind this micro power house. Figure I'll do around 80t and see how I like it. I was looking for some good videos showing the way it's done. Anyone know of some?

this shows the magnets from the x mod motor. Looks like a perfect fit on the outside of the micro crawler. Think it will add power? It should at least soak up some of the heat I hope.

Last edited by username; 12-18-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #32
jwo
Rock Crawler

i got a question. will an x-mod motor fit in these? if so there is a seller on ebay that sells 100t crawler motors for the x-mod truck, to turn it into a crawler.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

The xmod motor doesn't have a spot for screws off the top of my head and picture above. Also I couldn't remove the brass pinion without breaking it. It is much larger too.

Maybe you can see if the seller can start selling or building ones for our trucks.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 PM   #34
jwo
Rock Crawler

could, thats a pretty good though, i think he winds them himself?!
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

The magnets on the outside of the can could work, and they may even create more power.

However, what you are going to be faced with is this,
Do the magnets, even though they are larger, create enough force as to penetrate the can, and still deliver more magnetic push/pull than the stock magnets.

Its entirely possible, but unlikely.

Even though the can is not very thick, they still have to overcome the gap where the stock magnets once were. Now, doubling the magnets (stockers inside, and xmods outside) could be another alternative. However I doubt that it would increase the strenght enough to actually make it worth it.

The best alternative would be to find some small rare earth magnets, and get them to fit...
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote