Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: micro motor options ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default micro motor options ???

figured I'd start a thread for motor options. Like everyone else I can't leave well enough alone & always wanting more POWER!!! I don't know what's all available for these micros so lets get a list together to see what's out there for brushed/brushless

has any one tried the losi xcelorin system in their micro crawler?
fordwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

the brush options are pretty much stock, atomic bb version 1 with brass bushings, or the bb2 with ball bearings instead of bushings. for brushless any 12x20mm or 12x30mm motor will fit. i just got my fegaio 12x30mm installed with a quarks 22 amp esc.

dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

o.k. just picked up a rtr tonight and threw in an atomic mo-16 micro bb motor II from atomicmods.com. Im also gonna use my lipo for one of my micreo-ts. this does give it alot more power, not speed which I don't want. So far so good.
Allnos04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I put the 1/36 micro T bl esc with the 10,000kv motor. Cogging isn't too bad, since this thing is geared to the moon. Esc gets quite warm though, with the small losi 2s 180 lipo pack.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub599 View Post
the brush options are pretty much stock, atomic bb version 1 with brass bushings, or the bb2 with ball bearings instead of bushings. for brushless any 12x20mm or 12x30mm motor will fit. i just got my fegaio 12x30mm installed with a quarks 22 amp esc.

That looks yummy What KV is that model? I plan to do the same thing with my micro wired mamba25, micro spectrum... looks like a nice fit too

Would love to see a vid... Hello nice runtimes

Heath
The Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=dub599;2130580]the brush options are pretty much stock, atomic bb version 1 with brass bushings, or the bb2 with ball bearings instead of bushings. for brushless any 12x20mm or 12x30mm motor will fit. i just got my fegaio 12x30mm installed with a quarks 22 amp esc.
[IMG]
[IMG]

where can you get the fegaio motor & quarks esc?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
Who's your Daddy-0!

I just dug this little guy out, going to try and get this in tonight with a Mamba 25 and see how she does!
Attached Images

TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

thecow-im running the 5300kv, it was kind of a pain to get in. the motor holes are different, and the bottom one would ony give me a partial bite on the screw so i notched out another small groove in the side of the motor plate so i could screw in on of the sides also, so it has 2 and half screws holding it on, bt it seems to be working perfectly so far.

tattookeny- please tell me you can fit that motor in there, if you can im getting a new motor
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Kenny, I would LOVE to see that thing get in there! Might have to trim the output shaft though.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

yeah Kenny that would be dope, but i dont think its going to fit.. there is not a lot of room down there... prove me wrong please as it would be dope
Joeyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Going to give this one a shot...I will post up results after it is installed.Thats a nickel for size reference.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 11-30-2009 at 07:48 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
I put the 1/36 micro T bl esc with the 10,000kv motor. Cogging isn't too bad, since this thing is geared to the moon. Esc gets quite warm though, with the small losi 2s 180 lipo pack.
Did it work good? lol I have one setting here in front of me that I have been itching to try out
slashracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Honestly I haven't done much testing. It is far from smooth. I am used to a sensored BL in my 1/10 crawler, and I can definitely tell a difference. I had to take apart the tranny and remove a tiny bit of material, just a few seconds with the dremel sanding drum. In the short time I ran it the esc got pretty warm, its probably too high of a KV.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

New motor is in, temped it after 8 min like all the other tests. 87 * was the hotest temp I saw on 2S.Didnt have a chance to run it with the stock battery.Wheel speed is down a little bit but appears the run time will be up.I ran for 10 min total and only put 70 mh back in the lipoMotor has a ton more torque, I am sure glad I locked the slipper out

It did take a little grinding on the plastic tranny and some elongating of the motor mount holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Going to give this one a shot...I will post up results after it is installed.Thats a nickel for size reference.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
New motor is in, temped it after 8 min like all the other tests. 87 * was the hotest temp I saw on 2S.Didnt have a chance to run it with the stock battery.Wheel speed is down a little bit but appears the run time will be up.I ran for 10 min total and only put 70 mh back in the lipoMotor has a ton more torque, I am sure glad I locked the slipper out

It did take a little grinding on the plastic tranny and some elongating of the motor mount holes.
Does the extra torque help with low speed throttle control? Mine stalls too easily and is hard to get smooth low throttle control, can't seem to find gears to help, so maybe this motor would do the trick for me.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Does the extra torque help with low speed throttle control? Mine stalls too easily and is hard to get smooth low throttle control, can't seem to find gears to help, so maybe this motor would do the trick for me.
It doesnt stall at all so far.I think the low spead resolution is due to the esc as I do still have eratic and jumpy startsPlayed with the throttle curves and servo speeds on the nomadio and it helped but still jumpy...b etter than stock..maybe a 7 pole puller style motor would help
JRH where are you ?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

well I just got the xcelorin 8750kv mtr/esc in my micro!...wow!...big difference! I'm runnin the 10t pinion w/a thunder power prolite v2 250mah & also a 350mah battery run times are approx 25min w/ awesome wheel speed. There is a lil coging when trying to do slow crawls but I also have some binding issues in the trans (wobly warped gears) that might be helping the coging. No heat issues even after 3 packs back to back, motor is just barely warm to the touch.

I had to grind the trans case a lil & slightly mod the motor plate to get the gear mesh right & I had to reverse the throttle on my dx3r to get forward/reverse right (not quite sure why???) I have noticed it stalled a few times on some hard climbs but if I anticipate the stall I can give it a lil more throttle & pull through

overall I'm very pleased w/the setup
Old 12-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #18
Holdin my 40oz.

I am running a Novak Micro Spy esc and using a Futaba 3pm for control and I still have poor low end resolution. no amount of expo on the remote helped either. I really think that the wobbly spur combined with the fact that this little guy needs a torqier motor are the two main causes for lack of slow speed control. I need a stronger motor(torquey) and am willing to loose a little wheespeed to get it. Any good suggestions?
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i feel the same way. how hard would it be to add some more turns to the stock motor? anyone torn into it yet?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
i feel the same way. how hard would it be to add some more turns to the stock motor? anyone torn into it yet?
Yep, heres the specs. Stock motor has 57 turns, one ball bearing in the can and a brass bushing in the end cap. I rewound mine to 80 turns using some slightly smaller guage wire from an automotive relay. It has better low end control now and good torque, but still seems to have plenty of wheel speed. I wish I had a stock one to compare it to side by side to see the real difference, but so far I am happy with it, barely gets warm after a full pack of crawling. I also prefer the stock battery over the lipo since it gives less voltage and therefore slower crawling speeds.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote