Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Masher's F-150 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

I think one of my next projects will be to build an indoor "rock course" for my micro to play on. I'll post some pics when that happens.
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #22

id grab a piece of styrene from the hobby shop and use that as the bed topper... it would look more scale imo.. but non the less, that ford turned out pretty nice.. thumbs up
tyhodge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

That's exactly what it is; with some fabric glued on top. I'm working on another idea that will look better....
Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Default Some outdoor play

I found the perfect spot to play with the micro! I didn't even notice the terrain until I parked the car and got out. It's at a little public parking lot near the Susquehanna river. Just a bunch of clippings from last year dumped, partially composted and hardened up. Good stuff!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

looks good nice build thread
fastfred28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Looks great! very nice scale build.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the shoutout :-P
Truck looks pretty darn good man.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalerLover View Post
Thanks for the shoutout :-P
Truck looks pretty darn good man.
Thanks, man. Your latest is pretty cool, too!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

I decided I wasn't really happy with how the bed cover turned out, so I re-did it. It's a little lighter, looks better, and has a more finished look to it, I think. I have some leftover materials, so I might do a painted version of the same. On to the pics...

The three basic components of the cover...that aluminum is just thicker than a sheet of paper and made by K&S.

Traced out the cover and added some fold over lips to hug the sides of the bed...

All traced out..

Like a torch through butter...

All cut out....

After all of that I just attatched strips of magnet tape to the edges of bed and liner. Pretty simple. Not sure if I think this is the final answer, but it's better than before...

Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

WOW! Looks much better! I was thinking of getting some diamond plate decals from my LHS for the Silverado, and the F150 looks right at home on the "course" Any video?
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

Nice work.
Pocket Rockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I like it I'm going to have to do one of these there just to fun.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampedekid View Post
WOW! Looks much better! I was thinking of getting some diamond plate decals from my LHS for the Silverado, and the F150 looks right at home on the "course" Any video?
Thanks, man! Nice job on the Van Damme truck, too. Try diamond plate made by Plastruct. Your hobby shop should carry it or be able to get it. Once it's painted (Alclad or Spastix chrome), you can't tell if it's real or not. Here's some shots of a tool box I made for another F-150 I built.

I think the new cover looks better,too. The only problem is that the magnetic tape isn't too strong. Time will tell if it works out. I may peruse the aisles of Lowe's too see if they have something better. No video yet, but soon. I may be starting on an indoor course also. I think I want to make something that will have four to six separate sections to it, so I can change it up or take it elsewhere. Gotta start looking at the micro course thread for some ideas.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Nope, the magnet tape on the bed cover and hood did not work. Every time I rolled the truck the pieces would either come off or be crooked. Was out running around with my wife today and she needed to go to Michael's (craft store A.K.A. women's hobby shop); hmmmm, woder what kind of magnets they have? Found my solution. I got some tiny round magnets that jumped out of my fingers when they came close to metal. I found some pieces of 3M mounting foam and cut spots in them so each magnet would be flush with the top of each piece. I mounted them under the edges of the hood and the bed with some CA glue. Then I scoured the basement for some thin strips of steel and mounted those to the bottoms of the bed cover and the hood. Bingo! Perfect! Kind of crude, but they won't be seen and it works!

One word of caution. NEVER have wet CA glue near an ESC or a reciever. The fumes can get inside of the electronics and mess them up. Never had this happen but read an ESC manual. It's in there.

Everything perfectly flush.....

Stong enough to pick up the truck by the bed cover....

While I was waiting for the glue to dry, I made up a better battery pack for my lights. A 2000 Mah NiMh rechargeable AA. Still enough room in the bed for eveything...

Old 01-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #35

bed cover looks alot better now. good job on it.
tyhodge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXXMASHER View Post
Thanks, man! Nice job on the Van Damme truck, too. Try diamond plate made by Plastruct. Your hobby shop should carry it or be able to get it. Once it's painted (Alclad or Spastix chrome), you can't tell if it's real or not. Here's some shots of a tool box I made for another F-150 I built.

I think the new cover looks better,too. The only problem is that the magnetic tape isn't too strong. Time will tell if it works out. I may peruse the aisles of Lowe's too see if they have something better. No video yet, but soon. I may be starting on an indoor course also. I think I want to make something that will have four to six separate sections to it, so I can change it up or take it elsewhere. Gotta start looking at the micro course thread for some ideas.
Thanks! And I'm guessing the toolbox in the picture is out aluminum too? Also we need pictures of those lights in action! The Micro course thread has helped alot for me and many others, just don't buy the Losi one if you ask me, I'm sure your micro got longer as did mine so those will really seem like nothing, at 9.3" long with the body on, I don't think those little Losi courses will be long enough
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks! And I'm guessing the toolbox in the picture is out aluminum too? Also we need pictures of those lights in action! The Micro course thread has helped alot for me and many others, just don't buy the Losi one if you ask me, I'm sure your micro got longer as did mine so those will really seem like nothing, at 9.3" long with the body on, I don't think those little Losi courses will be long enough
No the toolbox is made from Plastruct plastic sheet. They sell everything you need to build anything you can possibly imagine. Train modelers use the stuff to build entire cities.

http://www.plastruct.com/Home.html

http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/Onlin...;&CCode=PS-150

I'll get some video soon...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Great lookin ride!
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I got a little video; just playing around on the basement. Some shots of the headlights, too. I'll have some outdoor video soon, now that I found my tripod. Still gotta figure how I want to start the mini course. Pouring over the pics on the courses forum. I have a lot of material on hand, just need to pick out how I'll do it. I built this course for the hobby shop I worked at, so I have some experience in building.

Indoor course; mainly for mini's....

Just playing on some carpet scraps...

Some headlight shots...

I also found a few 1/24 scale driver kits, so Walter may be getting some company in the truck!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Default Course build underway!

I finally got my micro course build under way. After considering several methods, I decided to go with using plaster cloth draped over wadded up newspaper. I taped some newspaper down to a board and draped the wet plaster sheets over everything. It's easy to do and takes very little time. I also used a mold to make some plaster "rocks". I'll use those to fill in any gaps and add a little more realism. I'll also be using some talus, trees and various railroading supplies. I'm going to put my courses on seperate boards that are the same size. That way my course will be portable and I can lay the boards in different configurations to change everything up. It'll also be easier to store. Here's what I have done so far.....

I bought this kit on clearance; they sell 'em at hobby shops and at some craft stores for school projects.

Nearly any hobby shop or train shop can get this stuff....

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/

This kit has all you need to do a course about 3' x4'......

Some of the rocks I've made...

A start... from bare board to course - about an hour; including drying time...

Starting to take shape....

Some crawlin' shots....