Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Masher's F-150 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.
Default Masher's F-150 build

I finally got this build underway. I've had the micro for a bit now, but have had too much fun with it to tear it apart! Well finally it's time. I know these aren't the most popular rigs on here, but I've seen enough CJ and Yota builds! I drive an '03 F-150 and have wanted to build a scaler like it for awhile.

I found this model at the LHS and decided to give it a go....
Not EXACTLY the same model I drive, but it's close enough for me.

Gonna be cutting some stuff here....

An idea of what it'll look like...

I bought the mandatory all-thread and mini-T ball ends but the thing I kept thinking about was how am I going to extend the driveshafts? I've seen the mods with pens and stuff, but wasn't sure what I wanted to do. (This is the part where I sit on a stool in my basement and stare into space....)

I've got it! My lego bike! It just so happens there are some parts on there that fit the male end of shaft. (Take it easy, pervs!) I used a part from that, trimmed one end and glued it to a piece of a pen. The lego end fits over the driveshaft, still allowing movement for flex. The pen end fits over the female end of the driveshaft tight enough that it will not need to be glued. Perfect! Here's the pics; I'll shut up for now.

Sorry bike, I'm gonna need a few things....

Lego piece...

pen piece....

Glued up.....

Longer driveshaft; ready for dis-assembly

Gonna attatch these to the model's frame rails so I have room for the interior. These pieces will mount to the tranny....

Mounted to the tranny...

Should have a little more done later on. I'll keep posting stuff as I go. Also I wanted to give a shout out to Scalerlover for some of the ideas for this build. The Cummins looks awesome!
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #2

Wow, I can't believe Lindberg put a picture like that on the box.
That may be the worst paint job in the world.
It would be very hard but I dare you to make an uglier truck.
takman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
That may be the worst paint job in the world.
It would be very hard but I dare you to make an uglier truck.
Yeah, can you say big eighties? This trucks' paintjob would have been stylin' when I was in high school! Just needs some day glow paint to really set it off....
Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Got a lot more work done on the F-150. The chassis is almost done. I got the links made and attatched & the suspension all sorted out.

Chassis layout...

Had to notch the interior slightly to allow it to sit on top of the tranny...

Fabbed up the rear suspension mount...

Mounting the front suspension to the interior to allow for shock clearance so the shocks don't rub the links...

Flex shot....
Had change up the links and elongate them slightly as the wheelbase was a bit too short.

Starting to imagine driving this baby!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

to be road legal here in PA that is gonna need some fender flares. Looking good.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looks great, but why in the world did you use white ball cups? No black ones available or did you want to match the body?
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
Looks great, but why in the world did you use white ball cups? No black ones available or did you want to match the body?
I was using those until I could get to the other hobby shop to get more black ones. I have all black ones on there now and aluminum sleeves over the all-thread as well. I'll post up some more pics soon. I think I have the chassis all sorted out, so the next step is to tear it apart and paint everything. I also have to paint all the model pieces and assemble the interior. I can't get this done fast enough!!

Should look a lot like this when its all done....

Last edited by MAXXMASHER; 01-12-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I got a little more work done today. Finally got those black ball ends on there and I like the look a lot better. Next up is to paint the model itself. I had to stop for a little while and clean up. When I'm building something I tend to get a little messy as I grab tools and parts until I can't find what I want....

AAAHhhhhh!! Workbench mania!

What it looks like usually

Links all done

Made a cool little tool - Duratrax pin vise. Works great for drilling tiny holes in model plastic.....

Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I haven't posted any updates for a bit as I was diligently painting all the model pieces. I'm about 90 percent done with that, so I guess I'll share a few more pics. I still have to assemble some stuff, so the interior, etc. is not complete.

Got the main chassis done...

I think the dash came out good. That's all paint. No decals....

Here's a shot of the interior complete with my buddy Wallter sitting in his usual spot.

Right now he's at my side, helping with the build...

I'll be using Spastix chrome as a first coat on the body to give it a little more shine. Awesome paint...

And Testors one coat De Ja Blue for the body color. Good stuff. Just don't ever believe you can paint anything in one coat. Not if you want it to look good, anyways....

Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Got a lot more done today! The body's all painted up and I think I got the suspension where I like it. I cut a bit off the shock springs so it droops a bit then has a little tension. I also got all the holes lined up and everything screwed together. I managed to have everything line up as far as bodywork and the interior go. I want to be able to take it apart if I need to make changes.

Silver first - nice and shiny

sparkly blue!

Chassis coming together...

Just for looks nothing pemanent yet...

A little flexing...

Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I love the paint man...nice job on the build
parker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default Burning some post-midnight oil!

I havin' such a good time building this baby, I can't seem to stop! Thanks for the replies. I feel like I need to shrink my finger diameter by 3/4 everything is so tiny. Plus when I drop stuff I need a telescope to find it. It feels like I should have more done than I do, but I've backtracked a few times to change something I didn't like. It took awhile to get the suspension sorted out; just the tiniest change affects how it handles a lot. One thing that's annoying is the stiff wires they use. I may cut and redo at least the on/off switch because it won't even flex enough to allow the front suspension move like it did before I put the esc in. Enough rambling! Pics!

Put some spacers in for the front shocks so they don't flop around. It also gets them away from the front linkage.

Got the interior completely done....

Hurry up and finish the damn truck! I want to ge wheelin'!!

Did some cutting under the hood and added a piece of lexan for the esc to ride on. Fits under the hood nicely...

The esc is in - pop the hood and hit the switch. I'll be making a toneau cover for the bed to house the battery.

Up next....I figure I've done this much; why not add some lights?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

looks dam good , i just got back from my lhs and they had micro crawler left i should have bought the dang thing and didnt do it they said they have sold the hell outta them too.. very nice build ill be keepin my eye on this one as well
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

You are definately an addict. When you finish this why dont you come back out here and put my high lift back together for me. Looking good. now hurry up and finish that and get the hitch worked out and the trailer back on.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgh117 View Post
You are definately an addict. When you finish this why dont you come back out here and put my high lift back together for me. Looking good. now hurry up and finish that and get the hitch worked out and the trailer back on.
Yeah, can't wait to get up there again. The new year's crawling weekend was great. You should get one of these for sure! You know I have a bunch of bodies to fit the stocker if ya don't want to my crazy mod route. Should have the lights rigged up tonight and maybe some of the bodywork as well. I also have to figure what to use for the bed cover. P.S. watching Poopsie play WII is hilarious!
Old 01-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Lookin good man! Nice job on the interior and love the dog sitting on the seat. Nice job! You may want to fab up a tool box and house the battery in there, thats what I'm doing, I've got a friend building me one now, for the Silverado, I could have, but I don't have a hot glue gun >.< Looks good though, lemme know if ya want pics when I get it back
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

maybe you can try some 0f the thin plastic from the 6 wheeler bed? then you spray it with undercoating for some texture. h saw the text, that looked entertaining.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Whats up, been watching this build... must have gotten busy! Im about to start my build of the same truck... using yours as a model :P Looks good so far!
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default It's all done!

Sorry, I haven't posted any updates in awhile. My computer crashed and has been in the hands of IT until today. I pretty much finished up everything a few days after my last post. I got the lights all hooked up and the ESC under-hood location works great. I took the easy way out and put the batteries in the bed. I say batteries because I use a AAA battery to power the lights as they (mini mag light bulbs) are made to run on 1.5 volts. Also if I don't want to run the lights I can leave the battery out if I want. I fabbed up a toneu cover hide it all and secured it with tiny strips of velcro. Even with the added weight, it crawls better than the stocker because of the elongated wheelbase. Pics!!

Bed full of junk....

All hidden under cover....

Using the bed also gives me the ability to try different batteries with ease...

Headlights are pretty bright....

Got my trailer done too, using McDT stock tires. The trailer hitch is velcroed to the rear axle so I can remove it when not in use...

Some action shots....

Old 01-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXXMASHER View Post
Sorry, I haven't posted any updates in awhile. My computer crashed and has been in the hands of IT until today. I pretty much finished up everything a few days after my last post. I got the lights all hooked up and the ESC under-hood location works great. I took the easy way out and put the batteries in the bed. I say batteries because I use a AAA battery to power the lights as they (mini mag light bulbs) are made to run on 1.5 volts. Also if I don't want to run the lights I can leave the battery out if I want. I fabbed up a toneu cover hide it all and secured it with tiny strips of velcro. Even with the added weight, it crawls better than the stocker because of the elongated wheelbase. Pics!!

Bed full of junk....

All hidden under cover....

Using the bed also gives me the ability to try different batteries with ease...

Headlights are pretty bright....

Got my trailer done too, using McDT stock tires. The trailer hitch is velcroed to the rear axle so I can remove it when not in use...

Some action shots....

Man, turned out SICK! Good job man now it needs to meet real rocks.
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote