Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Micro crawler w/ F/R Dig, outrunner, axil disconnects, F/R steer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #1

Default Micro crawler w/ F/R Dig, outrunner, axil disconnects, F/R steer

Ok guys, one of the members wanter me to start a how to on alot of my mods I have in other forums. So I will be doing a how to on all of the mods here. I'm working alot of hours so this will be a slow progress.
Here is a short video of some of the mods in action I have done so far. http://www.youtube.com/user/RacingBu.../1/LJwhI9hUV44
Bucknaked N Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

WOW! thats super sick!! post pics!!!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpasta2000 View Post
WOW! thats super sick!! post pics!!!
x2 amazing how small these things are and the amount of inginuity(?) going into them...
MGCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked N Wheelin View Post
Ok guys, one of the members wanter me to start a how to on alot of my mods I have in other forums. So I will be doing a how to on all of the mods here. I'm working alot of hours so this will be a slow progress.
Here is a short video of some of the mods in action I have done so far. http://www.youtube.com/user/RacingBu.../1/LJwhI9hUV44

Hey thanks man for posting this. I guess that member is me?
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

Well I guess I will start with the electronics. I am running a spektrum 6 channel receiver with a 6amp brushless car speed control integrated to it. It make a small light nano package. Next I am running 4.3 gram high torque metal geared heli servos for the steering. Then for motor I am running a 5 gram 2000kv brushless outrunner. Then for my front dig actuator I am running a 1.7 gram high torque linear servo. For a single dig the servo will work but when I went to F//R dig i went with another 4.3 gram servo.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #6

Here is a pic of the assembled dig.

Here is a break down of the dig parts.

I do run front and rear dig on my comp crawler but you just apply the same concept on the other side of the transfer case.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #7

For the frame I started with the DP torsion chassis. I removed .300 off the bottom of the chassis and relocated the transfer case bolt holes to match. Now I did drill the case mounting holes tighter than the original holes. The original was a lil sloppy and my chassis would twist.
Then I took a set of losi ball cups and broached a .0625" square hole in the end of the ball cups. I cut the original mounting holes on the upper 4 links of the torsion chassis and installed the ball cups. I then drill the axles and installed the ball links into the axles.
This allowed for smooth precise articulation that the original DP chassis did not have. The DP chassis creates allot of axle wrap and wheel hop. Not good when trying to climb. The ball links took most of that out. Another nice thing about the ball linked torsion bars is that I can adjust my ride height up to .125" and put different length ball links in to adjust to coarses.

Now to get rid of the notorious lower link bind when at full articulation. I took some losi ball cups and ran a 2-56 tap in and out till I had a loose thread. Now you only want to do this on one side of your 4 link. If you do both sides you bend in your lower link will move around everywhere. This will let you run 180 degree articulation.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #8

[B]Here is some old compiled pic of the chassis in the building stage. You can get a good look at the F/R dig unit and the torsion bars. If you look at the front and rear shots you can see that I remove the original spindle bolts and added king pins. This allows for more clearance along with removing the bottom bolt of the axles./B]

Last edited by Bucknaked N Wheelin; 09-02-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #9

Here is a couple of my other micro crawlers that have front dig units installed. You can see you can run what ever body you want, and the unit is so small and light there is no hindrance or interference.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #10

I am using a 3.2 gram servo for my winch actuator. Here is some pics of the winch.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Motor Brand

Will you please let us know the brand of the motor and where we could get one? AWESOME stuff!!!
stomper4x4.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper4x4.com View Post
Will you please let us know the brand of the motor and where we could get one? AWESOME stuff!!!
Here is the motor I use. You can see in the earlier pics how the motor mount spaces the out runner past the transmission and has plenty of room to rotate. The motor I am running has the same size shaft as the factory which is 1.5 mm. The motor is the Hobby King 5 gram 2000 kv 2 amp 12 pole/16 magnet setup with the stock plane mount modified. The mount ain't my best prototype work but I was in a hurry to try it out. You can see I cut allot of the meat off the motor mount on the pics of it mounted to the chassis.
So basically, its a airplane motor that I just turn the shaft around and mod the motor mount. Now with these motors, the leaders on the motor break off easy inside of the shrink wrap. So I just remove them right away and solder servo wires to leads and then wrap thread around the motor mount and new leader wires to secure them. Hoby King like to use hard frail wire, just like losi, on some of their stuff.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

can i send my micro 2 u n u pimp it out? loljp, good work man ur truck look super cool!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpasta2000 View Post
can i send my micro 2 u n u pimp it out? loljp, good work man ur truck look super cool!
I'm going to start a show called Pimp MY Micro Crawler, I'm going to have Larry The Cable Guy host it. Then have the guys of the Red Green show be my crew. Hope you like duck take .... LOL
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Is it posible to see a shot of the upper links a little closer and also the ball end placement where u tapped the axle housing?

I love the idea of the loose threaded cups on the lower links. The flex looks amazing. Does that much flex help enough to be worth it? I have found on some rigs that too much flex can be bad. I guess in your case the combination of super slow speed and super flex might be a fun set-up.

Last question...which pinion r u using on that motor: the smallest one or the largest one from the stock losi kit?
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

nice work, when are you going to star the mass production I know you will sell this super fast !!
k20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I want a closer look at the dig, like set by set build. Nice work
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
I want a closer look at the dig, like set by set build. Nice work
a parts list and part numbers would be much appreciated too. thanks
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Default King pins?

What did you use to king pins on the spindles? I am thinking a correct length grub/set screw?
FeilEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Me and murderface are going to be selling king pins for these little guys. Stay tuned.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote