Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Maxxmasher's Italieri LWB Range Rover Military build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.
Default Maxxmasher's Italieri LWB Range Rover Military build!

I really liked my first micro scaler (F-150) build, but as it was my first, there were some things that I would have done differently for sure. The biggest problem was that I had it designed to run the battery in the bed of the truck. It wasn't too bad until I stepped up to a bigger lipo (and NiMh) batteries. When I built my Hi-Lux I put the battery under the hood and it works so much better (with other minor differences) that I hardly ever use the Ford anymore. It's also starting to show quite a bit of wear and tear.

I wanted to go with something different from most everyone else, so I've been looking for about a month at every place possible for a unique ride. I lost a handful of bids on EBay for some vintage models and found this on a model specialty site. I then found a much better price on Amazon; really amazing, the things that can be found on there!

I've just gotten started, trimming all the parts and getting things set for the front battery placement. The having of the unique vehicle was more important than having a vehicle lending itself to using the giant lipo I want to use. That was proving to be a challenge because the battery protrudes halfway into the cab and the hood is not square like most pick-ups, etc. I'm going to put a piece of Plastruct over the protruding lipo and put the dash and seats on top of that. The interior is only noticed upon close inspection, so it'll be good enough. I can also run the truck fairly low because the frame of it is so narrow, it fits inside of the tranny housing. I should be able to drop it quite nicely. On to some pics, enough jabber!!

Say goodbye to my little friend!

This is gonna be cool!

Let the dismantling begin......

What happened to my truck??

Pristine out of the box....

You see my problem with the battery size? The stocker is there for comparo...

A little cover to hide it.

Had to put the roof rack and cargo on to have a look....

MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

Cool body!!
Can't wait to see how this one turns out!
nerwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i like where this is headed, any idea on color scheme?
jaytet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The color scheme is one thing I can't decide on. I know it's primarily a military vehicle, but I have a bunch of different ideas floating around in my head. I kinda like the idea of just doing a flat olive drab, but I'm also thinking about doing a regular color and adding trail damage, rust, etc. to it. I got a fair amount of work done on it tonight and the pics will be up tomorrow. I got the frame attached to the tranny housing and got the links sorted out so the wheelbase lines up. The stock links work perfect for the front and the all-thread ones I had on the front of the F-150 lined up perfect for the rear of the truck. Could not have worked out easier! I'll probably switch the front links over to the all-thread later on; for now I just wanted to get that step out of the way. I also have to run to the LHS to get a set of drive shafts to modify the rear. The stock setup is a bit to short and the setup I had on the Ford is too long. The place I go to has a ton of different paint options, so I'll either have my paint picked out or end up more confused about what color to use.....
Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I look at that body everytime I am at the LHS.

Should turn out nice.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Holy 2 hours of run time!!! LOL

I was debating between that model and a 1980 Bronco. I got the Bronco.

So i Am stoaked to see this build

Looks good, can't wait to see it all finished up.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=BEELZEBOB;2959010]Holy 2 hours of run time!!! LOL

Yeah, I know this battery is ridiculous for this little truck, but it's great to not have to switch batteries all the time.

I was debating between that model and a 1980 Bronco. I got the Bronco.

I was going back and forth between getting this and an old Ramcharger w/bassboat kit. My Dad had a Trailduster (same thing) when I was a kid and I was going to paint it with the same orange paint scheme. I tried to win several of them on EBay, but they just kept going higher than I wanted to spend.

So i Am stoaked to see this build

Looks good, can't wait to see it all finished up.

QUOTE]

Me too. This build seems to be going at record pace. They get easier every time. I think my F-150 took three weeks to build. The HiLux took just over a week. I can see this being done in a day or two!![/
Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Like I said, I got the frame in between the tranny housing and bolted into place. I also had to snip a few pieces off to get it to fit as I wanted. I usually cut the front of the frame off for better clearance, but this truck has no fender wells or interior pan.

I added a little clear thin plastic to give me something to attatch the front of the frame to and two pieces just past the edges of the the hood to make it easier to put it on without slipping past the opening.

I also attatched the rear of the body with a couple of screws. I can take off the body with just the four screws. I have found this to be sufficient to hold everything on. This way, if I have to fix anything, I won't have to destroy the truck like I would if glue was used.

I got everything lined up and the wheels hit just where I wanted them.

Looking good!

I'm now in the process of painting the truck in between typing. I found a can of Tamiya Olive drab, so that is the choice. I also have some flat clearcoat on hand, so it's getting that treatment as well. I figured if I went to the LHS, I'd just end up spending too much cash on junk I don't need. It never fails!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Got a little more done today. The paint came out pretty good. I'm gonna do the interior in a flat sand color and I still have to paint the frame. I usually get most everything set up and paint it all with some flat black, including the bolts and nuts so they don't stand out. I also got the rear shocks set up at just about full droop. The ride heighth is pretty much the same as having no shocks on the truck. Nice and low. It has a good amount of flex and I'm liking it a lot. On to the front shocks and wiring. Gonna have to lengthen the servo wires as I'm going to hide the rec./esc in a box on the bed.

The green doesn't look to bad. Out of the way maggots!!

Got the shocks mounted.....

Good amount of flex....

with the tire hitting right on point.

I also picked up a few goodies I found on EBay.....

It'll be a nice addition to the micro fleet! (not all these are mine, my Bro-in-law is just as addicted as I am, and is working on his micro Scout!)

Old 03-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Do not touch the trim!!!
stroker613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker613 View Post
Do not touch the trim!!!
LOL! Maybe the next one will be a truck-boat-truck! Maybe a Truckapede?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #12

this lil trucks are addictive, nice job on the scalers
iggnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

we'll see how it holds up on the course, that will be the true test for it. looking good.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgh117 View Post
we'll see how it holds up on the course, that will be the true test for it. looking good.
Hey, there Mit!! The build is going well. How's the Scout build coming along?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Starting to get the interior together and it's going O.K.; I just have to modify almost every piece because of the battery shroud sitting much higher than the floor pan would. I'm using the shroud as the seat for the driver. I borrowed a bench seat from another model and cut the bottom off, just using the back.

That also meant that my driver required a little surgery to make him fit......

Help! Medic!! I've been attacked by a Dremel!!

I also got the roof rack glued in place, along with the cargo and strap. I also bolted a spare to the hood. Not sure if it'll stay.

Pretty much all that is left is to sort out the wiring and add more of the details to the exterior. My driver seems ready for action.....

Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I really like that color!

But now i cant use it! LOL you should just do a lil trim in flat black and leave it!!!

the spare is key, do whatever it takes to keep it there!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
I really like that color!

Thanks!

But now i cant use it! LOL you should just do a lil trim in flat black and leave it!!!

Trim work still awaits. Gonna do the side window, etc. in black

the spare is key, do whatever it takes to keep it there!
Yeah, I like the look of the spare. The only problem is I had to cut the hood out to be able to load the battery in the front. Since it was not made to have an opening hood, it is not going to hold its closed position as well. I plan on using magnets or velcro to hold the hood on, so the added weight might make it harder to keep the hood attatched to the truck while experiencing the rigors of the trail. Have to play it by ear.
Won't have many updates until Tuesday or so as I will be out of town. I may work on it a little later but not sure....
Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXXMASHER View Post
Yeah, I like the look of the spare. The only problem is I had to cut the hood out to be able to load the battery in the front. Since it was not made to have an opening hood, it is not going to hold its closed position as well. I plan on using magnets or velcro to hold the hood on, so the added weight might make it harder to keep the hood attatched to the truck while experiencing the rigors of the trail. Have to play it by ear.
Won't have many updates until Tuesday or so as I will be out of town. I may work on it a little later but not sure....
A little styrene and some magnets will get that hood to behave.

That thing is badass.

After 6hrs of styrene, glue, sanding, vicing, and drilling, I'm ready to start assembling the Bronco

mine will look meaner

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 03-02-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Very unique choice for your build! Looks pretty damn cool so far.

I used 2 fairly small neodymium magnets to hold my Datsun body in place. Holds the body on great, so they shouldn't have any trouble keeping that hood of yours in place, even with the spare.

Post #13 shows the magents that I used:

Micro Datsun Build
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Had a chance to check that out. Very nice man! I've been toying around with stupid craft magnets; need to step up and get some with serious holding power. If yours hold the entire body on, a lil' old hood should be no problem! I'm also toying with the idea of scrapping the front half of the frame altogether and adding a custom section. The problem is, the frame is so narrow, it will only just BARELY straddle the servo. Most time it makes the truck sit crooked. I also have zero room for the front shocks to fit without serious binding issues. I finally took them off and wrapped a gum band slightly stretched so it acts like a shock with internal springs. Works quite well, but I can't leave it that way! It's called a scaler, right? I'll be fabbing something up when I get back next week. Widen up the front of the frame and I'll be set. Tune in next week....