Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Micro or Redcat Sumo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
Just put my order in for a green one! Thanks for the $0 shipping rate Blade! My rc addiction is pushing me further down the gutter! Lol
Your welcome and the gutter isnt such a bad place I have been there a while my self lol

Blade
BLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default Question to the mods?

So, based on the similarities and ability to share components, will the Redcat rig be integrated in with this forum? Or get it's own? As little traffic as this sub-forum gets, I vote one in the same. I know both my McRC and Sumo crawlers will end up bastardized together. People will just have to be clearer in what model they are talking about in their thread or posts.

Input? Does it even matter? I see the Sumo blowing up the scene before too long.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #23
RCC Addict

They should be separate, or this forum should be renamed to micro crawlers.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Mine just showed up today!
as far as forums Micro scale rigs is already general yet everyone posts in Losi micro. My guess is IF they are popular enough to have lots of build and tech threads you will see the losi micro area change to micro crawler and we will still have micro scalers.

I have to run out for an appointment but ill post pictures tonight
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Mine just showed up today!
as far as forums Micro scale rigs is already general yet everyone posts in Losi micro. My guess is IF they are popular enough to have lots of build and tech threads you will see the losi micro area change to micro crawler and we will still have micro scalers.

I have to run out for an appointment but ill post pictures tonight

Considering its under $100 and it crawls better in stock form than the Losi I would say no question. If this radio is a 3 channel so you can switch the rear steering. I would DRIVE over to pick one up and a new topless chassis for it.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I don't know that I would say it crawls better in stock just yet. it does take some lines better. but I gave up on the triple AAAs its just WAY to underpowered and gets bound up easily. not a big deal as most will run a lipo.
Im about to solder some micro deans for the Lipo in a few minutes
Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I don't know that I would say it crawls better in stock just yet. it does take some lines better. but I gave up on the triple AAAs its just WAY to underpowered and gets bound up easily. not a big deal as most will run a lipo.
Im about to solder some micro deans for the Lipo in a few minutes

Don't have one. Just saw the video's. I finally went to the
redcat site and the radio functions look great. Don't care much for the tires and rims on it but I wonder if the Losi Crawler's tires and rim's fit. Waitin to here your opinion Spoo.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Losi calls the Micro Rock Crawler McRC
and the Trail Trekker Mc4x4 so i figure
the Redcat Sumo Micro Crawler = SMC

so far its the same 7mm hex. losi wheels and BWD/crawler X hex wideners fit fine.

the ball ends and cups for the rod ends fit so that means the axles will bolt right up to your links as well as the shocks

the stub shaft has lots of thread on it which is great if you want to go even wider. though it's thicker and uses a larger wheel nut than the losi micro. however the stock wheel nuts are metal locknuts already.

redcat axles measure out to 104mm outside of tire to tire. 79mm from the flat side of the hub to the other
the axles have a spool diff not worm gears ( YAY! )

the male end of the losi driveshaft fits nicely in the female end of the sumo micro crawler (SMC ) though oddly the losi female end wont fit with the male SMC driveshaft.

the U joins appear to be the same size though i haven't taken them apart and tried.

the SMC doesnt come with any tools, but thats ok for the price.

the radio feels cheap, but so far works fine. again for the price any kit radio would feel cheap.

the motor and trans setup is interesting. they use a micro geared motor much like the polu motors. but its in a BIG plastic housing that the ESC/RX mounts to

the servo looks like the cheap $5 servos you find on ebay or hobby king. plastic gears inside. I do like the slim servo horn

the bent links and rod ends are short but look decent

the tires and wheels are a hair wider than the McRC but you barely notice. tire height is in between a McRC and the taller Mc4x4.
Im not sure if losi tires fit on the SMC wheels but honestly Im sure most people will swap both wheels and tires anyway.

That's all i can think of now. been really busy all day so haven't had much time to play

I have it apart right now and will upload pix soon.
Ill try to open up the axles late tonight or late tomorrow afternoon and post pix

I really like it so far though ditching the AAA batteries is a must. it just doesnt have enough power to get even out of a mild bind with AAA's. the SMC would LOVE a lipo

Ill post some pix of the parts in a few minutes
Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Sorry for the crappy pix, i just took these with my phone

the gear motor and trans setup.
the motor is similar to the pololu gear motor

from left to right
Losi McRC with BWD wideners
Redcat SMC
Losi McRc with Crawler X wideners
Stock axle

so it seems the SMC is the widest followed by McRC with BWD wideners. I dont have a Mc4x4 But Im sure the trail trekker is no wider than the BWD
also a side note. because the SMC stub shaft is thicker BWD and crawler X barrel nuts wont fit. you could possibly find the correct barrel nuts or maybe use the Mc4x4 extended hex?

tire height is in between the McRC and the taller Mc4x4.

I haven't taken apart the axles yet but this is the parts explosion it came with

center trans gears

axle

Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Ok, it seems photo-bucket Un rotates the pictures in links.. Its late and Im lazy so you will have to deal with it for now
Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the pics and beta Spoo! Mine showed up today, but im out of town for a few more days.. *sigh*
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

More info and pictures in this thread Redcat Sumo micro crawler (RSMC) parts breakdown and losi compatibility
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #33

Default Re: Losi Micro or Redcat Sumo?

Alright first post here. Ended up hear after entering the crawling world a few months back. I've got my RSMC and my Sumo truck and was fortunate to get them both with a few hop-ups for $160!!! I was looking at getting the RS10 and decided to start small. Overall I am overjoyed with my purchase. This Crawler DOES outperform the Losi. I did a side by side comparison and the 4ws gives the Sumo a marked advantage. And as far as the battery. I get bored before mine die. I ordered industrial 1800mah rechargables off of ebay and they seem to be just right. 20 minutes out of the box and I started concieving my scaler build. The tires perform ok but they are way too small. The stock construction of this thing is very sturdy. Ive run 20 sets of batteries through it and haven't phased it. It is top heavy and doesn't do good straigt on. I'm going to go with the aluminum shocks and play with the many options on the TVP and see if I can improve ride height and COG. The controller quality is fantastic compared to the toyish one that comes with the Sumo truggy. And just 4AA is far better than the AM's 8. I hope there are more hop-ups to come. Just being entry level it's easy for me to say that RedCat is a force to be reckoned with. I'm on my way to the 1/10 RS10 as well as the 1/8th. I expected their products to be cheap because of the price but I was wrong. I've picked a side.
DirtCheapGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

Many options out to make the sumo a better performer, as much as you love your AAA thats the first upgrade most of us do, but with good reason, it gives you a bunch more speed and more torque. Power can be increased too, theres a few motor options ive found to work real good, and as far as shocks go Id stay away from the aluminum ones unless you are just looking for the looks, in performance they are not all that good. Shocks and links can be moved to different points giving you better articulation but to get the best you will need to drill custome holes. I have a chassis which I designed that works great if you are interested in checking out. Tires are just not big enough but every tire that fits the losi will fit the sumo even the MiClaws which I personally dont care for too much but everyone else seems to love!
Gamyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Sorry to drudge up a dead post, but those of you who still have a Sumo, do you still like it? love cost point over the Trekker, and the standard style axles and gears over the worm gear style(also more scale). I want to eventually build a track and scaler out of what ever I buy, even custom brass frame, but to start just get used to it. anyone have image of one with a standard 1/24 model body, or do I really need to dig up a 1/20 scale due to oversize tires? I am replacing an xmod which I drove a lot but is worn out, my three year old can drive that prob though-thanks !
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

I love the axles, and I have a tranny that I someday want to convert over to a t-case, but other than that, I use losi parts for my builds. I personally didn't like the Redcat tax, or the rear steer for that matter. Wasn't fond of the frame or tires either. So essentially, their great for parts, in my opinion. On a side note, the 1/24-1/25 scale bodies will work, just make sure you go for something larger, like a full size truck or something. A jeep, or toyota would be too small.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #37
DVS
Pebble Pounder

Like R.Billy Rob said 1/24 - 1/25 scale will work for a full size truck, But if you want a Toyota then 1/20 scale would be better.

Last edited by DVS; 09-10-2015 at 02:39 PM.
DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #38
I joined the Band!

So remember the Redcat Sumo and Trekker are 2 different rigs..
Trekker - Scale
Sumo - 4ws rock crawler

most buy either/both and strip them down and mod away. they both have their plus and minus and both are great out of the box...

1/24 scale isnt going to climb curbs (well some may) so just remember that very tiny rock is still what size in scale???
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #39
RCC Addict

I'm making some interesting products for the Trekker/Sumo combo. People are marrying Sumo trans with Losi axles for slow but strong drive train.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/2T...ionId=57670527

I have put up Sumo rear lock outs. You might want to wait till I get in my first part to test the fit. I'm 95% confident it will fit.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LG...ionId=57846437

Check out the shop!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/lynxmicrotech
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
I'm making some interesting products for the Trekker/Sumo combo...I have put up Sumo rear lock outs.
I've seen your lockouts for the sumo, and I have to say THANK YOU! Something I was thinking of though, speaking of marrying trekker and sumo parts, would be lockouts with losi ball stud shock mounts. The brass losi studs are much nicer, as well as being more stout. Then you could also use the much more "scale" looking losi shocks. just a thought.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote