Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler
Loading

Notices

Thread: Battery question...yes, I read the battery thread...twice...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: River Falls
Posts: 79
Default Battery question...yes, I read the battery thread...twice...

Hi all -

On my first build MS-DANA, I'd previously done AAA's for power, mounted a double holder on each side of my DP torsion chassis. I really liked the set-up - good power (same 4.8v as stock), VERY long run times, VERY short recharge times...just didn't really like the look of AAA batteries hanging out on the sides! Not that MS-DANA is scale by any means, I just thought it looked funny. Plus y'all rave about LiPo run times, power, etc...

So I borrowed one of my son's batteries from his Mini Super Cub. The battery is 7.4v 300mAh LiPo. Wheel speed is waaaaaay too fast (my Losi took off...I sure hope it comes back...), and throttle response is very twitchy - low-end throttle control is really tough now.

Couple questions:

Is there a lower volt LiPo that's still 2s? I'm pretty new to RC crawlers, LiPo, etc...so if I can find one that is more in the 4-5v range I'd be happy. I want crawl speed, not race speed. Plus I'd like the extra benefit of the LVC. I've searched Google and it seems everything is either 1s or 7.4v.

Would changing the spur gear to a higher tooth count help? I'd be okay with the 7.4v if I could get back to crawl speeds. Ebay has a 56 tooth aluminum: http://cgi.ebay.com/Losi-Micro-Crawl...item43a793d214

Thanks,

Mike
MikeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Turtle Island
Posts: 5,578
Default

No, all 2s lipo's are 7.4v and all 1s lipo's are 3.2v.

About all you can do is order one of Getbent's Predator motors, it's really your best option.

I'm not sure about pinions.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: River Falls
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
No, all 2s lipo's are 7.4v and all 1s lipo's are 3.2v.

About all you can do is order one of Getbent's Predator motors, it's really your best option.

I'm not sure about pinions.
I've been thinking about Getbent's motors...I've read they're hand-wound, better than stock...but are they slower?
MikeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: River Falls
Posts: 79
Default

Oh - thanks for the clarification on the 1s/2s thing!

Mike
MikeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Turtle Island
Posts: 5,578
Default

I switched from the stock 7.2v nimh to a 7.4v lipo and didn't like the speed.
So then I bought a few 1s 3.2v, good speed but no torque...
So then, after Murderface talked them up, I bought one of Getbents first 80t Predator motors...
With the 7.4v lipo, it's perfect!
You could even get the 90t if you really want it slow.

So yes, both Predator motors are slower then the stock.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: River Falls
Posts: 79
Default

Cool - that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll contact Getbent and get on the waiting list.

Thanks johnnyh66!

Mike
MikeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 609
Default

I use 2 cell 7.4v & works awesome, Although I use a DX3R & I never had a problem W/control at super slow speeds. Stock motor & G-bent's motor's.

I think Getbent's motor's are huge improvement & recommend them highly.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: River Falls
Posts: 79
Default

Yeah, I'm sure the DX3R would be better than the stock...but I'm actually pretty impressed with the stock controller (maybe because I don't know any better!).


Already contacted Getbent and got a reply!

Mike
MikeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTJ View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the DX3R would be better than the stock...but I'm actually pretty impressed with the stock controller (maybe because I don't know any better!).


Already contacted Getbent and got a reply!

Mike
What is his waiting time like? I may have to get on that too.
Crawl Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 214
Default

So, since we're on the subject of batteries, does the stock NiMH battery die out? I've had this stupid battery plugged in for 3 hours and it hasn't gotten warm or anything. It's seems like it isn't charging at all anymore. Any ideas guys? Time for a battery & charger upgrade?
Crawl Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: River Falls
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Wonder View Post
What is his waiting time like? I may have to get on that too.
He said the donor motors just came in so maybe next week or week after?
MikeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Scale Detail Engineering
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Turtle Island
Posts: 5,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Wonder View Post
So, since we're on the subject of batteries, does the stock NiMH battery die out? I've had this stupid battery plugged in for 3 hours and it hasn't gotten warm or anything. It's seems like it isn't charging at all anymore. Any ideas guys? Time for a battery & charger upgrade?
This may be a silly question but are you using a wall charger or the portable charger?
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave
 
spoo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South FL
Posts: 2,979
Default

I agree with the rest. the getbent motor sounds like what you are looking for.

as far as lower volt 2S lipo there ARE C ratings for Lipo batteries and the higher the # the more instant "punch" it has. I think a very low C lipo might be ok.
For example a 30C 350mah 2S has the same power and capacity as a 15C 350mah 2S. but the 30C has more "punch"

You will probly be happy with the motor but your next choices would be trying a bigger spur. or bigger tires to change the final drive and offer more traction.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
This may be a silly question but are you using a wall charger or the portable charger?
Wall charger. I was reading through the battery thread and saw someone came across the same issue I was having. I had the red led light showing, even though I had full charge. A simple off/on got the cut off cleared and I was back in action.

I didn't know about that little quirk with the Trekker/Micro.
Crawl Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: River Falls
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I agree with the rest. the getbent motor sounds like what you are looking for.

as far as lower volt 2S lipo there ARE C ratings for Lipo batteries and the higher the # the more instant "punch" it has. I think a very low C lipo might be ok.
For example a 30C 350mah 2S has the same power and capacity as a 15C 350mah 2S. but the 30C has more "punch"

You will probly be happy with the motor but your next choices would be trying a bigger spur. or bigger tires to change the final drive and offer more traction.

Cool - thanks for the additional info on the C ratings! I'm sure I'll be happy with getbent's motor. And I've been thinking of the miclows, I think bigger tires might make my build look better.

Mike
MikeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com