Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: my first rig..trail trekker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default my first rig..trail trekker

I am new to this whole crawler thing, though I have been into rc since a child. I went to my lhs to buy a micro crawler, but of course they were out of them. The sales guy then brought this lil beauty out...at first I wasn't completely sold, but after playing around with the store demo I was hooked. So I pulled the trigger and went home $160 lighter. After getting it out of the box I immediately started modifying it before I even played with it.

Day two..

Drooped the suspension, relocated battery, esc, removed foams, added weight, usual mods
Then I decided to try out the dp torsion chassis

Picked up a lipo pack for it today...what a difference

I like the new chassis, but need to figure out a way to lessen the stiffness of it...other than that, no probs
Just ordered miclaws, black Chrome wheels (can't wait to mod them), another stock body, and blue Beadlock rings. Still more work to do, but I am completely addicted to this thing
Still searching for a body to build a scale rig, but so far no luck finding the one I like that hasn't been discontinued....oh well, I'm sure I will come across one eventually

Sent from my EVO4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by longhammer; 08-19-2011 at 12:46 PM.
longhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Lookin sweet dude. I like how it sits low. You goin to get different wheels and tires?
Hydro-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

definitely..one of my biggest complaints with it stock, is the tires seem so small, and the underbelly is so low that it doesn't take much to get beached on stuff.. I saw a thread here on modifying the offset of stock wheels with miclaw tires, so I figured i would try it out. Just waiting for the stuff to show up.
After seeing some of the cool stuff you guys are always coming up with, I love coming on here to find solutions to improving the performance of these rigs...
Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Bought a few aluminum parts, miclaw's, wheels and some other stuff. Took it to work to install everything, charged up the lipo and did some crawling. After the pack wore out I put it on the charger. After charging I plugged her in, and now she doesn't work. I have a red light on the esc/receiver, but no green light, steering or anything..tried re-binding everything to no avail. Is it possible the lipo messed the receiver up? It is a losi 2 cell pack...any thoughts?

I am now starting to think this thing is possessed. After I posted this earlier, I plugged it in a half hour later, and it worked. I ran the pack down again and charged it..plugged it in and it doesn't work! Arggh!

Last edited by longhammer; 08-28-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Got pictures? Sounds awesome.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

got a few..

Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Wow dude! That looks great. You did a great job. You going to put your roof rack back on and stuff?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I'm debating whether to put it back on or not...it messes up the cog a bit..I'm thinking of building another one, but not loading it up like the last one..I decided to take it out for her first outdoor run. Threw together a quick test course...shot a quick vid of it which I will try to post up. So far I am very impressed with the dp torsion chassis. I thought the stiffness and reduced articulation would be a problem, but I couldn't have been more wrong.
Figured out a way to dove tail the stock shell bed. Just cut back the rear roll bar mounts, drilled new holes, and squeezed the sides back on. Worked out pretty well..

Last edited by longhammer; 08-30-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #9

man i dig that trekker body but i hear it doesnt fit mrc chasis
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #10

nice trekker maybe i should have gotten that rather than mrc. lol
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I think I have that problem solved....mount it through the sides like the mcrc. So this week has been a nonstop modfest, new links (temporary until the extended link kit shows up), and of course these showed up!

Mounting them was fairly easy, all glued down and such, but I decided to use washers drilled out on the backside, bolted down.

Everything mounted

Went to my Lhs, picked up a tube bender, cutter, and various sized aluminum tubing. After about an hour of practice, I got brave and fabbed out a new rollbar, front stinger...trimmed the fenders out to make room for the tires

Kept trying to lower the body more, but the frame rails were in the way, to I pulled out the dp torsion chassis I bought recently, pulled out the cutters and drill..a few beers later this is what I got.

Next I have to fab up some brackets that will allow me to mount the shell from the sides versus the top, but I'm happy to report the whole project is almost done, so I' been thinking about picking up a micro crawler up cause I get bored rather quickly

Sent from my EVO4G using Tapata

Last edited by longhammer; 09-05-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Looking very good.Like the stinger and cage in the back.Nice work.
PCHILNSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I see also you have the blue aluminum Hot Racing steering bar.Is that the same one that goes on the micro crawler?Is that the only aluminum parts you used?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

So far I have that link, trans mount, trans cover, wheel nuts...I ordered a new hitec servo, aluminum servo mounts, and steering hubs..I figure if I order a few parts a week, it stings less...

Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Oh ok.I just trying to see if the aluminum parts i have on my other micro will go a trekker.Yours is looking great.Like the miclaw tires.I was thinking of getting those but dont know if they'll go with the body i'm trying to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhammer View Post
So far I have that link, trans mount, trans cover, wheel nuts...I ordered a new hitec servo, aluminum servo mounts, and steering hubs..I figure if I order a few parts a week, it stings less...

Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I guess if the body is mounted high enough, the tires would clear..I was wondering if the rear axle lockouts you have would fit a trekker? I wanted to order them, but not if they don't fit..I do like HR products though. My micro DT is full of their stuff, and I'm sure this one will be as well. Always had good luck
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

That looks really cool! Nice job, what battery is that on the back? How does it work?
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Iron man posted pictures of his trekker in one of crawl wonders threads and it shows axle lockouts on it.I want to know also because they are very nice and want more for the trekker.
Quote:
I guess if the body is mounted high enough, the tires would clear..I was wondering if the rear axle lockouts you have would fit a trekker? I wanted to order them, but not if they don't fit..I do like HR products though. My micro DT is full of their stuff, and I'm sure this one will be as well. Always had good luck
Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #19

Quote:
got a few..

Any chance of a flexed out picture? Of your modded DP chassis

Dave

Last edited by TimberKrawler; 09-05-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
TimberKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

The photo above is pretty much flexed to the max..the torsion bars were very stiff, and greatly diminished articulation. It feel that it is a great trail chassis, but shows its limits when the terrain gets rougher. I will look through my photos to see if I have another angle
Ok, found one..

Last edited by longhammer; 09-06-2011 at 10:38 AM.