Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

View Poll Results: ok guys which color?
white with hood,tube, and trim black 4 80.00%
gun metal grey with hood,tube and trime black 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: DatsunPryme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default DatsunPryme

OK corny name aside this is the new build. My first vehicle I ever had was a 1982 Datsun 720 truck. I loved that thing and regret every day that I sold it. So this is kind of a tribute to it. I like the styling and crawlabilty of the comp rigs but love the detail and look of the scale builds. I will meet some where int he middle on this one. I got lucky and found a 1/25 monogram 1982 datsun model that looked identical to my truck. How could I not buy it. I know you guys are antsy for pics so here it is from mockup to partly finished.

Here is some more assembly to see where everything is going. Got the rear dove tailed as well. Then a mockup of the body on the chassis.

Yes I know the back wheel wells dont line up but I like it like that. IT was kind of intentional.next will be pics of the body properly mounted and hopefully the front dove nosed as well.

I may shorten the rear but if I do it wont be much. I followed in Chevy55 steps and dove nosed it. turned out better than expected. As for smaller tires, not likely. In the south we do all sorts of dumb stuff. Big tires on something that doesn't need it is perfectly acceptable here. Any how these tires and rims are jsut for mockup.

When going the back has about 1/4" clearance between the rear servo and the bed and the front has about 1/2" clearance. The body is acting kinda like a bump stop and limiting up and down flex. In turn it is giving me a semi droop feel and climbing ability with out sacrificing ride height. Waiting on some more parts to come in now. New wheels, 8 BWD large hole weights, trekker stubs w/ hexes and what I think is eally going to set this off, some Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. After all that gets in it hits the paint booth along with some tube work. Also thanks to Chevy55 and his help soon the Datsun will loose its 4 banger and get the BIG BLOCK treatment.
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Sick rig! I dig the notching on the baja claws. Does it feel like it wheels better with the notching?
Madjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

well those are the rok lox. I haven't got the baja claws yet. They work quite well but they wear out quicker it seems. It's just time to get some new rubber. hope to have some more updates soon.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

SWEET!! cant wait to see a crawl. Please post pics a bit larger. I cant see the details...
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
rik
RCC Addict

Nice rig bud. I like the stance. Always was a fan of the sagging ass end. Can't wait to see it crawl..
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yeah I am going out today to go crawl at one of my favorite spots so I hope to get some more pics and possibly some video. I am finishing oup the grill right now and then tonight/tomorrow I will do the front bumper. dont knwo what color yet though. any opinions on color guys? it will have mirror black rims and chrome beadlocks soon so that will give you an idea.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #7

Great looking truck... one-of-a kind! A fitting tribute to your old original. Well done! If I could find a body for a mid-80's Ford Ranger... I would try the same thing!
Capt'n Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
rik
RCC Addict

Is it gonna be a trail truck? If so, I say primer gray, with a fender with primer black.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I say go with the awesome booger green, or the dark almost flat blue they used to use back in the day. These colors just fit the truck
Whop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
DVS
Pebble Pounder

If this is kind of a tribute to your 1982 Datsun why not make it the same color or something close to it.
DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thats a great looking body.Its always cool to see different bodies.
PCHILNSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

well I am headed out to go crawling now. I was digging through old vhs home movies and grabbed a few screens that showed my old truck the day I got it. MY dad was washing it and my brother in law came over and was helping clean it up. It may still get painted the funky color it was.
wool shampoo

Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
If this is kind of a tribute to your 1982 Datsun why not make it the same color or something close to it.
After seeing the pics of the actual truck, I agree, make it the same color...
Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well saturday may have well been christmas for me. All the stuff I was waiting on came in on the same day. So needless to say the datsun got some new shoes. I got the new rims, trekker stubbs, bwd large hole rings and mickey thompson baja claws in. After I got the tires weighted she runs like a dream. Here are a few pics of the before and after with added rock rash. Even shot a quick video of it. enjoy.

Here is the link to the video.
Micro crawler datsun - YouTube
Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
rik
RCC Addict

Awesome!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well here are pics of the front bumper with stinger and the rear tube work in the bed. I am quite pleased with it seeing as this is the first time I have ever messed with styrene. Here are some pics to speak for themselves.

Last edited by BerticusPryme; 10-11-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:18 AM   #17
rik
RCC Addict

From what i can see, it looks good. Pics are too small. Can ya make them bigger?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

for some reason it make smy pics small on here. I posted them at microtforum and they show up larger. I will see what I can do though.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
rik
RCC Addict

Gun metal
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Truck looks great so far, nice work. How are you liking the mickey t's? Thinkin about grabbing a set
longhammer is offline   Reply With Quote