Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: More Noob tire related questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default More Noob tire related questions

Hi Guys,

I am just about done tweaking my chassi stuff for now, and with the impending arrival of my miniqlo's miclaws, I have a few questions I hope you can help me to clarify.

1) To remove the old rubber stock tires from the stock frames, I should just pop the lot into the freezer. and than once 'frozen', use slight pressure at the bead area to rub/push inwards until the original glue cracks and seperates the tire from the rim?

2) To mount any new tires, or in my case, the Miniqlo's, I would just insert it into the rim and glue it using losi tire glue?

3) Once the new tires are glued down with the Losi tire glue , can they be removed easily in future without destroying them so that they can be re-used again?

4) How do you guys figure how much weight to put into the tires before sealing the tires up with glue? What happens if I put some weight in, glue down the tires, and realize that I need more/less weights? Does this mean I have to go through the glue removal process again and re-glue the tires after doing the weight adjustments?

5) Is the stock rims a standard size? Would the Losi microTrailer trekker rims fit too? Are they the same? Or can I use rims from any other 'brands'?

Thanks again for any kind feedback!
StickyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: More Noob tire related questions

your best bet would prob be to get beadlocks on it so if you ever do want to change anything its very simple. As far as removing tires ive heard of people boiling them in water at like 350 degrees and them popping off pretty easy but could possibly ruin the tires.
Creepy Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/searc...archid=4305071
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Krawler View Post
your best bet would prob be to get beadlocks on it so if you ever do want to change anything its very simple. As far as removing tires ive heard of people boiling them in water at like 350 degrees and them popping off pretty easy but could possibly ruin the tires.

I am convinced! Just got a set of micro vertex true beadlocks! Did not want to have to deal with the glueing/un-glueing down the road and should also allow me to remove the tires once mounted to adjust internal wheel weights. The miniqlo's Miclaws should fit nicely into them as with any other tires ya?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ok, since I now have the beadlock rims on the way, I am looking for where to look for foams to insert into my Miniqlo's when they arrive since I forgot to purchase the foam inserts for them .

Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can source for these pieces of tire foams and the best way to cut them to fit the tires? Thanks again all!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Either make some out of 1/10 foams or stuff the ones that came with your stock tires in there. I'm using two stock Losi McRC foams in mine (set side by side).
They add just enough support but allow a gap to add either BB's or alow for decent tire flex.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
Either make some out of 1/10 foams or stuff the ones that came with your stock tires in there. I'm using two stock Losi McRC foams in mine (set side by side).
They add just enough support but allow a gap to add either BB's or alow for decent tire flex.
Thanks Rockfrog. I plan to just leave the stock tires unmolested for keepsake purposes . hee.

What are 1/10 foams? Do they sell them in 'raw' sheets? Are they easy to find? Thanks.

Update:

You mean like these things?

http://www.amazon.com/Racers-Edge-Of...273495&sr=1-37

Last edited by StickyWheels; 12-18-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

No, I mean tire foams for the larger R/C's .... hence 1/10 scale.
When you buy a set of R/C tires they come with foams (couple of the build threads show how to cut them) ... you can also buy differeing types of foams. If you have a foam shop in your town they usually have a scraps bin ... you could cut foams out of that as well.
Just chop a section out of them and stuff 'em inside the tire. I just used my stocks ones as I had them collecting dust. Most of the guys running foams in the MiClaws are using stock Losi foams ... think I'm the only one running two at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyWheels View Post
Thanks Rockfrog. I plan to just leave the stock tires unmolested for keepsake purposes . hee.

What are 1/10 foams? Do they sell them in 'raw' sheets? Are they easy to find? Thanks.

Update:

You mean like these things?

Amazon.com: Racers Edge 1/10 Off-Road Air Filter Foam (4) RCE10108: Toys & Games
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
No, I mean tire foams for the larger R/C's .... hence 1/10 scale.
When you buy a set of R/C tires they come with foams (couple of the build threads show how to cut them) ... you can also buy differeing types of foams. If you have a foam shop in your town they usually have a scraps bin ... you could cut foams out of that as well.
Just chop a section out of them and stuff 'em inside the tire. I just used my stocks ones as I had them collecting dust. Most of the guys running foams in the MiClaws are using stock Losi foams ... think I'm the only one running two at the moment.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Hhmm....looks like I will have to open up my stock tires to use the stock foams in my Miclaws after all.

Thanks again for your kind reply.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I am correct about this. My billet works micro vertex rims just arrived today, and I was planning to use them in conjuction with the CrawlerX wheel wideners that I have but not yet installed, but it looks like they cannot work together? The CrawlerX wheel wideners end in a hex shape to fit into the stock wheels hex shaped hole but the micro vertex rims already have the circular shaped hub fittings. But how can this be so? Because if I had only got the billet works widener kit, it claims to be able to "work with our pin drive wheels and also with the factory wheels/wheel hexes!"? I see the billet works wheel wider kit hub also is circular shaped ...this clearly will not fit into the internal hex shaped hole in the stock rims..

...I am confused.

However I did definately see that read that folks on this forum have indeed used these two items together. I will most likely also get the billet works widerner kit in the future, but at this time, can anyone confirm if the CrawlerX wheel widener kit can be used together with the Billet works micro vertex rims? I just want to mount my miniqLo's which also just arrived today(perfect timing huh?), and see it run with them! Now! hee.

Or maybe I am just being slow today.

Thanks

Last edited by StickyWheels; 12-22-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

The widener kit you got does not work with Vertex rims.....hex to pin drive. However, the BWD kit does work with either Vertexes or hex drive wheels. On the stock wheels, the hex in the wheel has the slot in it (pin drive) and the Bwd wideners have the 'male' pin to mate up to the Vertex's female slot (lol) or the stock hex slot.

Bummer dude! Only Bwd wheels can be mated to their wideners.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

The BWD wideners will work with stock hexes, you put the wideners on first, then the hex, then the wheel. I don't see a way to use the CX wideners with the BWD wheels though. You could cut the CX wideners to a pin type profile, but they would end up narrower than the pre-made BWD ones afterward.

Honestly I just wish someone would make a set of wheels with the DANALLY widened mod#1 profile and finally give us what we'be been asking for for the last two years (wider wheels).

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Hear my frustration?....SO CLOSE yet so far....no choice, must make purchase now for BWD wideners...those must definately work with their own micro vertex rims.....

Update:

Billet works widener kit just purchased....guess I will have to sell my "NIB" CrawlerX wideners now. I have not even opened the package to install them! :(

Update:

Whoop! CrawlerX site has agreed to the return of the widener kit! Whew! I am just within my 15 day return limit. Louis has been very responsive and great to deal with

Last edited by StickyWheels; 12-22-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyWheels View Post
Billet works widener kit just purchased....guess I will have to sell my "NIB" CrawlerX wideners now. I have not even opened the package to install them! :(
I'll take 'em. My scaler is probably going to use RC4WD's wheels and I could use some wideners.
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8695Beaters View Post
I'll take 'em. My scaler is probably going to use RC4WD's wheels and I could use some wideners.
Sorry,I would sell them to you if CrawlerX did not take them back, but Louis just informed me he would. Unless you want to have them for $11 shipped through Paypal than I could save myself the trouble of mailing it back to him. Just let me know by today as I would ship it back to him tomorrow. I think these are great for the price. Just that I unfortunately cannot use them. These are 100% brand new, never used or installed. I still cannot access the classifieds section at this time.

Last edited by StickyWheels; 12-22-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

If you're sending them back tonight, then go ahead and return them. I'm not 100% sure I will need them and at that price, I might as well buy them if I do need them.
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8695Beaters View Post
If you're sending them back tonight, then go ahead and return them. I'm not 100% sure I will need them and at that price, I might as well buy them if I do need them.
No worries. It's all good. It's more convenient for me to ship them back and get refunded the cost. Thanks.

More Noob tire related questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob tire related question StickyWheels Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 22 03-20-2012 10:20 AM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM
TA02 related questions Jamus Non Crawler RC's 13 01-26-2008 05:37 PM
Not Crawler related, but motor related Crawlerguy851 Electronics 8 06-25-2006 03:41 PM
not crawler, but tire related... 10th scale buggy tires dieselfuel Tires and Wheels 5 06-21-2006 09:41 PM