Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Return of the 3500!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Return of the 3500!!!

Well after seeing Chevy55 build all his multi axle creations along with DANALLY and his tubers and insane low gear S10; I have decided to attempt my own. You all may remember this.

The top heavy floppy bastard. It looked good and but drove like a yak. So she was torn down and used for parts to make other things. I always said I will reuse the body as well as promised mylittle girl that Ken and Barbie would get to ride around again. 8 months have passed since and it's time. Here is a run down on parts.
Chevy 3500 body
modified DP torsion chassis
2x HR alum lockouts
CrawlerX leaf springs and shackles
Exi 9G servo
Sumo crawler trans and kid
BWD large hole wheel weights
3x Losi axles
Interco boggers
Tekin B1 R
Flysky GT3b tx
I modified the torsion chassis by clipping the rear legs off of it and using only the front. This way the front will have similar suspension to the rear. Used a redcat trans on the redcat skid plate for its super low end. The amount of torque it produces is crazy. The loss though is the thing runs at half the speed of smell. The rear 4 wheels have been modded with DANALLY's rim mod #1 so the rear will have a litle more stability. There will be room enough on the flat bed to hold a small crawler or my small heli. Also toyin wth getting one of heyok's winch controllers for this thing as well. I am currently waiting on the brass and styrene from tower to get here so I can finish the frame and axle pass through. Paint is up in the air right now. I do not know what I will do. Right now it is leave it as is or redo it flat black trim and sunburst orage metallic for the body and beadlocks. Want your feedback on that one guys, anyhow time to show it off with some slightly fuzzy cel pics. Can't find the DSLR right now. As soon as I find it I will get some better pics.

The body is going to sit about 1/8-1/4 inch lower once I get it grooved to fit the frame. WB will be right around 9" give or take 1/4"
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
rik
RCC Addict

Default Re: Return of the 3500!!!

Ahh, I do remember this rig..my how time can change plans..cant wait to see this project completed!
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thats gunna be BIG! Lookin good so far

I hope the Sumo motor has enough grunt to make all 3 axles turn well. I am in the process of converting a Sumo trany gear box to a PreDDTor 80t motor. It aint easy! If it works I will let u know. Even with all the gearing in the Sumo the motor is crap. Have you seen the "upgrade motor" for the sumo? i saw it on Ebay but have no idea what is different about it over the stock motor. I might have to buy one and test it.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

well so far it does have plenty of grunt to push all 3. If it is'nt up to the task then I got a losi trans with a PN racing 80t with neo mags I will drop in and give it some serious go. Everything from tower should be in today so I hope to have ssme progress pics tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Oh I remember this rig im still trying to find Ken & Barbie for some of my rides....

Looks like a cool project & should be a monster when its done
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I found them at walmart over in toys. They are the toy story 3 mini figures. I started to se my big block motor but I cant find any large alum spur gears anywhere. They are all out of stock. If any of you guys run across a 58 or 59t in stock somewhere let me know.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Here you go, 1:24th scale peeps.

Fujimi Models kits
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #8

Can I bum a smoke? Cool truck/idea, didnt realize the sumo's had 130's, or maybe I need to find my glasses? Anxious to see whats next...
andrewt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well after some testing and playing around the redcat motor does not have the proper grunt to turn all 3 axles. IT will go but one it hits a climb it slows even more. This will be fixed today as the rest of the parts wil be here to big block it. While I am putting it together I am thinking about laying some paint. I like the gloss blacka nd blue but to me it screams flat black and metallic orange. your thoughts guys?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
DVS
Pebble Pounder

I was wondering what happened to that truck.
DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hey man great start! I like the black and orange idea. I think the orange will make it pop!!! I was lookin at the wheel base wondering what the turning radius is going to be? I've noticed that your going back and forth on motor ideas. The one that worked best for me is a stock motor and tran connected to another tran on a stock 4.8v. It's plenty of low tourqe and it's got good pep to. And if it's not enough run it on a lipo! I'll be watching this thread!
Madjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well gentleman I have good news and bad news. Good news got the frame built and fully assembled with leaf springs in the rear and the axle pass through done. Bad news. Trying to turn 3 worm gears on a 8 1/2"wb was to much for the big block. Dont know if it was binding or what but could not get the pinion to stay on the motor. Tried glue and everything and it would eithe strip out or wouldnt attach to the motor shaft fully. Hell maybe it was my motor mount I don't rightly know. So back to the redcat trans.I found the problem why it did not have the power to turn the axle. I had a lipo hooked up that one cell was iffy and did not know. Now we run into another problem. The chassis had been setup for a losi skid not a redcat skid. It was about 1/8" to narrow to work. Well a little sanding and filing on some servo mounts and here we are. It powers through anything and tbh if it could get traction on a wall it would climb vertical. It is honestly amazing at the torque. At wide open throttle the thing runs about as fast as a snail fart. Here it is as it stands right now. Hope to get video of it tomorrow morn. Ignore the tape and rubber bands holding the elecs on.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Hey bro the frame work looks great!!! Wat is the distance from front axle to middle axle? I'm telling ya you got to try the two trans and one motor set up! You'll never look back! But the truck is looking great!!!
Madjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

It's 5 3/4" from front to middle and from front to back its 8 1/2". I did manage to get some video this morning when I get home. If I can get it edited and put together I should have it up on here in the next day or so. Still have some work to do to strengthen the chassis and mount the body and such. Now that I got the go fast build almost done I can concentrate on this one more.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Return of the 3500!!! (test vid up)

Well here is the test vid guys. Yes I did pull one of the tires off at the beginning of the run but kept goin. Btw this is also at full throttle wide open. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by BerticusPryme; 02-28-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Big update guys. Got the body mounted and instead of doing a flat bed I decided to do some tube work. Got it all done and mounted.All that is left is paint and the detail work. Here are some shots for how she sits now.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Lookin good man! The cage work looks really nice
MGCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Loving the end result brilliant
thesnake505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Well paint is done as well as msot of the trim. Just finish up a few details here and there and it should be done. Took it out for her maiden run today and I have to say I am beyond pleased. Crawled like a dream and looked damn good doing it. Granted there are a few paint imperfections but I don't want perfect paint on a crawler.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

so sick.. good job
Smokem is offline   Reply With Quote

Return of the 3500!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
velineon 3500 brushless Brewedintexas Electronics 2 09-07-2011 08:52 PM
Velineon 3500 set up? arctichorse Axial SCX-10 1 11-11-2010 10:35 PM
traxxas 3500 brushless FLIPPER RACING Venom Creeper 5 03-23-2010 08:44 PM
my Ram 3500 Nitrorunner General Crawlers 11 07-14-2007 04:14 PM