Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Redcat Sumo Crawler gearing options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Default Redcat Sumo Crawler gearing options?

I'm going to Mickey Thompsons soon (bigger than stock) and I need some more torque. Even if i wasn't, it still need more torque.

I want to stick with the AAAs because I take my crawler places where there is no electricity to charge a lipo, and stay for so long that I can't afford enough lipos to keep my going.

I know the gears in the axles are pretty high so i was wondering if any other manufacturer's gears would fit, and If not, do I have any other options?

TL;DR: I want lower gears.

I posted this in the micro scale area as well, but it might get more hits here.
boy&hisdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Redcat Sumo Crawler gearing options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy&hisdogs View Post
I'm going to Mickey Thompsons soon (bigger than stock) and I need some more torque. Even if i wasn't, it still need more torque.

I want to stick with the AAAs because I take my crawler places where there is no electricity to charge a lipo, and stay for so long that I can't afford enough lipos to keep my going.

I know the gears in the axles are pretty high so i was wondering if any other manufacturer's gears would fit, and If not, do I have any other options?

TL;DR: I want lower gears.

I posted this in the micro scale area as well, but it might get more hits here.
I have no thoughts on gearing options but a couple thoughts about the battery,
1-You could run the losi battery (NiMH) Iwould take up less space than the four AAA's. They are cheep and would allow you to use the field charger to charge them. Using the same connector would also allow you to use a lipo around the house or where ever you can use a lipo charger and a higher capacity battery. Lipo when you can & NiMH's on the go!.

Also, Im guessing you dont have a 1:1 vehicle to charge from at the remote location?

Just a few thoughts, good luck on the gearing part!
RCOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I have never seen a gear set change for these. Here are the choices I can offer: (in no specific order)

- put in Losi crawler axles. It makes for one SLOW SLOW SLOW but powerful rig and run times that are stupid. There is no direct fit. It takes fabrication work. You are going to spend some bucks on this option.
- install a 7.4 lipo. There are cheap ones out there on Ebay for under $10 for small ones. I bought 4 lipo batteries 7.4 400mah from Hong Kong on Ebay for under $20 shipped. It took 3 weeks to get them though.
- add more cheap throw away batteries. I haven't seen it done but you can get holders for 2 batteries from Radio shack. Wire it in with the others to make 7.2 volts. The rig is going to get heavier though and suffer.
- get a charger for Lipo's that works off of a car battery or even a cigarette lighter plug. Then you only need a few batteries.

So far there are no options that really work for gears or motor installs that are drop in.

Hope this helps in some way.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #4

Thanks guys I appricate the replies!

And you are right RCOG I usually either do not have any power source at all like when i'm backpacking or when Idw to risk running down my 1:1's battery because sometimes my jeep MUST start or else I might not get home.

I will have to look more into other sorts of field chargers or maybe build my own hand cranked one because i would love the power and reduced weight and bulk of a nimh or lipo.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Idea: charge ur batteries while u are driving the 1:1 so ur using alternator power not battery..
Idea: get a marine grade deep cycle gel cell battery (optimas rule)
Idea: get a hampster wheel and a hampster, tie a carrot on a stick in front of the wheel and
attach a drive belt from the hampster wheel to the trans input...
Idea: throw rocks off a cliff instead of driving your crawler to conserve battery life..
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks guys I appricate the replies!

And you are right RCOG I usually either do not have any power source at all like when i'm backpacking or when Idw to risk running down my 1:1's battery because sometimes my jeep MUST start or else I might not get home.

I will have to look more into other sorts of field chargers or maybe build my own hand cranked one because i would love the power and reduced weight and bulk of a nimh or lipo.
The charger that comes with most of the losi micro vehicles is portable, it uses AA's. Fits right in your backpack. This charger will charge the micro NiMH packs that come with the losi micro vehicles. It won't charge the lipo packs though. So lipo where there is power to charge them and the NiMH for backpacking. The key is to have that common plug end for all options/situations.

Hope this helps alittle more.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Idea: charge ur batteries while u are driving the 1:1 so ur using alternator power not battery..
Idea: get a marine grade deep cycle gel cell battery (optimas rule)
Idea: get a hampster wheel and a hampster, tie a carrot on a stick in front of the wheel and
attach a drive belt from the hampster wheel to the trans input...
Idea: throw rocks off a cliff instead of driving your crawler to conserve battery life..
:l mao:
The Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

Hey guys thanks for all the input. I decided to just go with Miclaws and ordered them yesterday. I'll keep this stuff in mind and mod as needed with the new tires on it.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hey guys thanks for all the input. I decided to just go with Miclaws and ordered them yesterday. I'll keep this stuff in mind and mod as needed with the new tires on it.
You are going to need even more power to turn the Miclaws than you would the Mickeys. Did you figure out a power solution?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Many different gear ratio's found here. Pololu - Micro Metal Gearmotors

THe stock motors gearhead has a 3mm shaft:thumbsup:
MGCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

small decent solar chargers are fairly cheap on ebay. might take a while to charge tho.
screwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Many different gear ratio's found here. Pololu - Micro Metal Gearmotors

THe stock motors gearhead has a 3mm shaft:thumbsup:
These things look awesome! And so cheap!

Looks like imma get me one of them there 1000:1 motors!

You guys are great thanks for all the help.

Last edited by boy&hisdogs; 03-15-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #13

If you relocate the shocks to the lowest hole it will improve clearance and flex, in the controller settings you must set the throttle to 100 and the max speed to 120, last but not least put some magnets from an old motor on the outside of the crawler motor. its like night and day
LOSIMINIZXMOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #14

well wish I had this sooner to help some people out but here you go... go to ebay and look for this item number: 221032877359 this motor is a direct bolt on and it is about 30% longer (160rpm)- it is not a pololu gearbox/motor (which are the same as the winch on a 1/10) these are the same size as stock just a lil longer. it gives you more torque but takes a lil bit of the wheel speed from stock (with stock batteries) now with lipo it should be close to stock wheel speed. if you change the gear box to the stock one you get it to about 200rpm. a lil more wheel speed and still decent torque. now for this mod you may have to extend your links just a tiny bit. if you go to youtube look for gamyrc he has a bunch of videos wth mods he did (I learned everything I know through him) his redcat is sick. you can make these little things pretty beasty! my next upgrade is ball bearings I heard there is about 21 of them!! good luck!
scaleistheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I just cam up with the best motor upgrade so far, Tower Pro mg946r servo motor, with 4 2mm washers you can use oem gearbox and motor pinion and torque is just ridiculous. Better standard size servo motor would do even better but I dont have one to tear up right now
Gamyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamyrc View Post
I just cam up with the best motor upgrade so far, Tower Pro mg946r servo motor, with 4 2mm washers you can use oem gearbox and motor pinion and torque is just ridiculous. Better standard size servo motor would do even better but I dont have one to tear up right now
Which motor adds more speed and a little bit of torque gain?
cyclops13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, micro, redcat, sumo

Redcat Sumo Crawler gearing options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor options for sumo crawler? NSANE Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 15 05-19-2014 06:22 AM
Redcat Sumo Crawler gearing options? boy&hisdogs Micro Scale Rigs 1 07-12-2012 07:38 PM
redcat sumo crawler torque twist Steve Q Micro Scale Rigs 1 12-12-2011 03:39 AM
Redcat Sumo Crawler - What's Wrong with it? MonsterTruckMan Micro Scale Rigs 3 11-17-2011 08:09 PM