Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Trekker vs Sumo Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Default Trekker vs Sumo Crawler

Ok, I've had 1/10 and 1/18 crawlers (XR10 and Losi MRC). I sold them because I got tired of trying to find a fun and challenging place to play with them. I'm kinda leaning toward either the Trekker or Sumo. Price difference isn't huge, but I like the 4WS on the Sumo. It's mainly going to be something to kill a few minutes, and not totally time consuming. Give me some reasons why I should get one vs the other. Please stay away from the "Losi is a brand name and Redcat is a cheap knockoff" type answers. We already know that.
benny_wiskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Trekker vs Sumo Crawler

Trekker has a longer & wider wheelbase. Great for scale builds. And you say it'll be a time killer, but I'd be willing to bet once you get either you'll start spending more and more time with it. I have a Trekker, a Micro Crawler, MRC (currently building) and a Wraith. My Trekker & Micro Crawler get most of my time.

The Sumo would be cool with 4WS, but the Trekker can be set up that way, too. Just need a few extra parts. Hell, I think I even have a stock servo I could send you if you chose to go that route.

My vote goes to the Trekker, but I have zero experience with the Sumo, so take it for the $.02 it's worth.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Losi trekker, the aftermarket and stock replacement parts are in abundance and easy to find, where the sumo is not as well funded in the aftermarket area. and you can mod into 4ws with a handful of parts.
Plus I think stock the sumo looks terrible.
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

redundant threads are redundant.
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambaam View Post
redundant threads are redundant.

Most of the threads I found were a few years old. I'm sure quite a few people have both.

The Trekker definitely seems to have greater aftermarket support. I'm not really concerned with aftermarket....that's what I'm saying now, I know I'll probably be saying something different eventually. lol
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Mini qlo.
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Id go miniqlo before sumo. better stock crawler.
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

i dont have a trekker but i do have 2 micro crawlers and a sumo.. kinda it's only the drive train and axles now. i want a trekker but the 4ws is cool and fun also allows you do do something with he 3rd channel if you want to go regular steering. personally i like the sumo axles more than any other micro, especially after you shave um down..woo nice clean axle for a scaler, check my toyota build! the sumo is also a little cheeper and many upgrades are able to go on um. im getting a trekker anyway so just my opinion for now. i want a miniqlo but not sure on it. heck i dont even see people building with them too much?
oahuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well I have had em all & the QLO is junk! Parts support sucks & long wait times when the parts are in overseas shipping!

If you plan on any mods & want a little wheel speed, I would go with the sumo. R&P gears in the axle & they are strong as hell...

If you want a crawler with nice lowend control go with the trekker
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy55 View Post
Well I have had em all & the QLO is junk! Parts support sucks & long wait times when the parts are in overseas shipping!

If you plan on any mods & want a little wheel speed, I would go with the sumo. R&P gears in the axle & they are strong as hell...

If you want a crawler with nice lowend control go with the trekker
I like the sound of a stronger R&P. My MRC kept shredding diffs. How about the plastic gears in the transmission? I'm kinda thinking that the 4ws would be good since it's so small. I'm thinking it'd make it more capable for a variety of terrains. I'm from the south, so we have to have wheelspeed for about anything other than rock. That includes 1:1 scale too. lol

Trekker vs Sumo Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Trekker and Sumo Crawler didnt make 1 day RootBreaker Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 02-18-2013 10:41 PM
sumo esc/rx and tx in a trekker? RootBreaker Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 12-19-2012 11:28 AM
2.4 radio from 1:24 sumo crawler Jcplante Redcat Crawlers 11 11-29-2011 09:48 AM