Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Spur/Pinion/Motor speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Spur/Pinion/Motor speed

Ok i know we are not about speed.. but i got so much stuff.. that tonight i played around with my sons trekker.. i bought it from a member here that said it was stock

so first upgrade was lipo 2s so yes that makes a difference and i changed the plug so i cant do my stock test with the nihm battery....

but wanted to share this...
since i bought a trekker off of ebay with tons of extra parts i played around...
there is an unknown red motor that was spare (there is a black round one in my trekker that is unknown too)..

anyway..
here are my numbers..

Losi Trekker Gear / Speed

Spur/Pinion/Speed/Notes
54t/10t/1.44mph/ stock
54t/10t/1.63mph/losb1751 motor
56t aluminum/10t/.44mph/Red unknown motor
56t aluminum/10t/.68mph/Black unknown motor in my trekker - updated after initial post
WOW the red motor is a bit longer.. but truely SLOW!!! so going to test it with fresh batteries.. make sure motor doesnt get hot.. but this thing CRAWLS now... hopefully torquey...

now i calculated my speed with this website..
Time, Speed and Distance Calculator

I used 9 x 12" tiles on my floor for 108 inch for distance and then did seconds with my cell....
was interesting...

do you want to add to this?
also is the losb1751 the stock motor? i know not all 2 motors are the same as there was a slight difference between the one in my sons stock trekker and this one new in package...

Last edited by RootBreaker; 03-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Spur/Pinion/Motor speed

Sweet job tracking and listing th speeds. I have often wished I had time to do more of this. I did make a test machine for my motors that i was able to do a comparrison between motors to see the percentage of speed loss using the stock motor as a base. Here is a link to what I made...look about 1/2 way down on the page for the motor tester...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendo...-motors-2.html

I really need to get back into taking video of each motor in action.

For your taste I really think a 65-80 turn in a big block or stroker might work.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Thanks Danally... yeah after talking to you... i had to give a whirl on this stuff... now i will end up getting a recommended motor from you eventually.. i have to figure out a game plan first.. for my kids..they have what they have... so could get theirs soon... need to get the side hobby funds...
for myself.. i have to get rid of the ford body which is the frame and body... figure out what im doing.. then get the motor..

i know that speed and torque are 2 different things.. but slower speed usually means torque... so my sons is .44mph and mine is .68mph... stock is 1.3+mph...
i would love to know the speed of what i could expect with your motors.. they are not expensive so once i get rolling i may get 1 or 2 from you to see how they compare and what i like...

more to come...
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

also went over and weighed both trekkers...

stock trekker with 350 zippy and no aluminum (however some solder spooled around front 2 rims with baja claws) = 9.1oz
my trekker with 350 zippy, aluminum parts on front/rear plus different aluminum shocks (not sure about wheel weights) = 9.5oz
Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I did some testing today too. I may make a post on it's own with some video,s of stock crawler racing the other motor combo's.

Here is some info:

- Did an 8' test and stopwatch. Used the MPH calculator from the same website. I rounded off the numbers to the nearest tenth mph:

STOCK MICRO - Stock plastic gearing: 1.3 mph
DDT Predator 80t motor - Stock plastic gearing: 1.2 mph
DDT Predator 90t motor - Stock plastic gearing: 1.1 mph
DDT Predator 100t motor - Stock plastic gearing: 1.0 mph
DDT Predator 110t motor - Stock plastic gearing: .9 mph

DDT Stroker 60t - 58t spur/17t pinion (kit) : 1.0 mph

I made a 40 turn Stroker that is an absolute riot to play with. I didn't do the mph test yet. I need to run it on the rocks more to see if it will get hot or have any effects on the ESC. I am worried about heat.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

^^^ nice to see some numbers.. thanks.. so my motors are even slower.. doesnt mean more control... but .44 and .68 is lower than your .9 110t motor.. so I feel im too slow.. so ill be going 90 or 110t.. thanks man!
that helps me a lot!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yah I don't know where those motors came from but they might be custom wound too. I never tried a tail rotor motor that was a longer can. I bet I could make them a nice option to doing a big block. I gotta find out what they are.

Are they the same size can as stock just longer???
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
Yah I don't know where those motors came from but they might be custom wound too. I never tried a tail rotor motor that was a longer can. I bet I could make them a nice option to doing a big block. I gotta find out what they are.

Are they the same size can as stock just longer???
maybe they are slot car motors

How are you figuring the speed using a 8" square? what formula
jprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The formula at the bottom of the page is easy...just plug in how far u went (8 feet) an then how long I took. Then select mph in the drop down and hit calculate. I could have done any distance. I just had a 8' area open.

Are slot car motors the same size can just longer?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Good to get some specs. I know I won't loose to much speed but I'll gain driveability with the new motor.
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
The formula at the bottom of the page is easy...just plug in how far u went (8 feet) an then how long I took. Then select mph in the drop down and hit calculate. I could have done any distance. I just had a 8' area open.

Are slot car motors the same size can just longer?
From my recent research it uses a 130 type can. I think it is the same as your "big block" kit? The 1/24th scale standard "spec" motor is the Parma 501 16D. it has 70 turns of 30 gauge wire and replaceable brushes and springs for around $12.00.
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I like the PN racing motors. You can get them with neo magnets that help out a TON! Plus the silver springs and replaceable brushes are on there too.

I am pretty sure that the ones you are looking at are the same size as the 130 big block. One other thing to think about is that the can is much more open on that model. I suck up tons of metal fragments from the ground as it is. I would hate to have a wider open case. Heat is not an issue on these too.

Pn racing does sell the bushing motor with standard magnets for $10. I use them for mock up from time to time.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Here's the one I was looking at.

Parma Deathstar 16D sealed motor 501 $12.49 - Mid-America Raceway & Hobbies

I hear you on the open can. It would have to have something wrapped around it. Another problem is it has a 2mm shaft and comes with a 9 tooth 48 pitch pinion that would need to be removed. I can't find any 0.3mod pinions for 2mm shaft. But it's got good magnets and it's cheap enough to try to find a solution.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Hey Dan I was researching gear ratios here and found your question about the slot car motors. Sorta hijacked the thread. Sorry...
Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Not at all!

I buy the .3 mod pinions from thetoys.com in the 4 pack. I have to drill them out to the right center hole. I wish I could find 16 and 17 tooth pinions for these without having to buy the set. I went through a ton of emails and trials on gears from Radical Rc but no luck. I even tried the Losi plastic pinion sets LOSB1520 that say they come with a 17 tooth...it's a lie. They come with a 15 tooth. I even let Losi know that their description is wrong and they didn't care.

If anyone does find the 16 or 17 tooth pinions let me know!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Not at all!

I buy the .3 mod pinions from thetoys.com in the 4 pack. I have to drill them out to the right center hole. I wish I could find 16 and 17 tooth pinions for these without having to buy the set. I went through a ton of emails and trials on gears from Radical Rc but no luck. I even tried the Losi plastic pinion sets LOSB1520 that say they come with a 17 tooth...it's a lie. They come with a 15 tooth. I even let Losi know that their description is wrong and they didn't care.

If anyone does find the 16 or 17 tooth pinions let me know!!!
I know of a place in the UK that sells single pinions from 6t-40t with M0.3 in different materials (brass or delrin) and the option of 1.5 or 2mm center bore and different thicknesses.

Now there is 2 problems. They are a little on the expensive side and they do NOT ship to the US. If the prices would be worth it to you then I have a solution for the shipping. I have a friend that's on another forum that lives in the UK that is willing to and has been making orders for guys in the US and shipping it to them. He only charges what it cost him to ship it to you.

Here's the site so you can check it out.

http://www.shop.kkpmo.com/index.php?cPath=21_27

If you would be interested in ordering like I mentioned just let me know and I will get him to contact you .

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by kevinhayden; 02-07-2014 at 09:31 AM.
kevinhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanks for the heads up on that!

I looked at the pricing and it's probably cheaper for me to still buy the 4 pack and waste the 2 gears that I can not use.

I learned at least that on my motor brackets I can use two gearing combinations: 16/59 and 17/58. At least that way each gear costs around $4.

I have more feelers out and am hopeful that one guy I contacted can make me 100 of the 17t and I would be set for years!

Spur/Pinion/Motor speed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spur/motor/pinion/tire = overall ratio RootBreaker Newbie General 6 11-10-2012 01:01 PM
80 Spur, 2S, Axial Stock 55T Motor.. what pinion? StefanM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 11-05-2011 04:48 PM
Motor/Spur/Pinion Advice? Die-Laughing Electronics 2 09-22-2011 06:52 PM
SCX-10 What spur?pinion?motor? And bettery are you using? gymjunkie23 Newbie General 6 09-12-2010 08:03 AM
Wheel speed, motor, pinion, spur, 2s,3s battery ? 92LILREDYJ Newbie General 13 04-02-2010 07:59 AM