Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Miclaw questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Miclaw questions

Hey guys, just got my miclaws in the mail and I tried slapping them on my HR aluminum beadlock and the inner diameter looks ways to small. Does anyone know/ has been able to get the miclaws on the HR beadlocks?
mathcanbefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Miclaw questions

I mounted miclaws to my Hot racing beadlocks with no problems
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

They will fit, but they are a real PIA to get em done...If you have any little ones around, I would send them into the next room when you try You will be cuss'n up a storm good luck!
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys! Any tips on installation? And what did you guys do for foam? No foam? BB's? Or lead tape in the rim?
Thanks everyone!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I like to use the foams from a stock tire. It helps them keep shape. I also run at least 30-50 bbs. As for wrapping them on a rim...get one small section started and hold it in with one finger. Then get a small flat head screwdriver and slowly "help" the rest in aroun in a circle while adding more fingers to the areas that seat in the bead groove. It also helps if u suspend the rim up a little with a 1/2" drone socket that fits inside the tire. As u hold it up from the back side he front side is easier to push in. I hope that makes Sence.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks man that does make sense! I got the tire on but it is sealed too tight and it won't hold shape. Did you guys vent the rims or tires at all?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I drill a hole in my rims for air. If you don't they actually hold some air and can suction cup action too. What wideners are you running?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
I drill a hole in my rims for air. If you don't they actually hold some air and can suction cup action too. What wideners are you running?

Is it hard to drill through? It seems like a lot of metal to go trough. What size drill bit did you use and how many holes did you drill into the rim?

I'm using the lavacapcrawling weight/widener kit! What kind of bb's, lead shot?

Last edited by mathcanbefun; 05-06-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I just use regular bb's. As for the holes I can only speak for what I do on my new delrin rims. (I have never owned the aluminum rims you are using). I drill a 1/16 or so hole...just one hole is enough.

Im not positive but I think you might still rub on the links with those rims and wideners...again, not positive.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I just use regular bb's. As for the holes I can only speak for what I do on my new delrin rims. (I have never owned the aluminum rims you are using). I drill a 1/16 or so hole...just one hole is enough.

Im not positive but I think you might still rub on the links with those rims and wideners...again, not positive.
Ah crap... Well I haven't tried yet so I will let you know then post it on the wheel/tire thread.
I have however had some success drilling a hole in the hr rims. But it's slow work.

What makes you think that ill rub on the links! Did you read it in a thread?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Trust the man. They will rub. I was running BWD wideners with qlo's on rc4wd rims and it was still rubbing my front upper links at full turn. After that I added mcrc stock hexes to the BWD wideners and it just would clear..
kevinhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhayden View Post
Trust the man. They will rub. I was running BWD wideners with qlo's on rc4wd rims and it was still rubbing my front upper links at full turn. After that I added mcrc stock hexes to the BWD wideners and it just would clear..
You're right it seems to just be barely touching the links. The frustrating thing is that I've must have gotten 8 replies saying it would work. I have yet to actually run with the qlos and hr beadlocks but I might just have to switch over to some Mickey thompsons
Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Here's my redcat with miniqlo tires and hr beadlocks

1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
RCC Addict

That looks sweet. Only thing is that redcat axles are wider than losi. They can clear the big tires with less widener.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

That does look awesome!
What do you guys think i should do? It really doesnt look like that much rub but if i can do something to eliminate it then i might as well. Any options? Redcat axels?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy55 View Post
They will fit, but they are a real PIA to get em done...If you have any little ones around, I would send them into the next room when you try You will be cuss'n up a storm good luck!
Chevy,
Did you use the hr beadlocks with the miclaws? if so on what rig and how did you stop the rubbing?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcanbefun View Post
That does look awesome!
What do you guys think i should do? It really doesnt look like that much rub but if i can do something to eliminate it then i might as well. Any options? Redcat axels?
1) You can limit the steering on the radio so it doesn't rub. I don't do this cause I personally like to have full steering

2) Try to bend the links is a way to clear the tires yet not limit the articulation?

3) Run Redcat axles...not super easy as they are not a direct fit. They will also make the rig really fast as they don't have the gear reduction that the Losi axles have. It's a fun option tho

I think that Chevy55 runs mostly the Redcat axles. They are stronger and wider.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
1) You can limit the steering on the radio so it doesn't rub. I don't do this cause I personally like to have full steering

2) Try to bend the links is a way to clear the tires yet not limit the articulation?

3) Run Redcat axles...not super easy as they are not a direct fit. They will also make the rig really fast as they don't have the gear reduction that the Losi axles have. It's a fun option tho

I think that Chevy55 runs mostly the Redcat axles. They are stronger and wider.

Thanks danally you've been alot of help! I wouldn't mind having a little extra speed. Have you ever tried putting on sumo axels or do you know what mods I would have to do?

Oh and have you tried bending links? How did that go?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks danally you've been alot of help! I wouldn't mind having a little extra speed. Have you ever tried putting on sumo axels or do you know what mods I would have to do?

Oh and have you tried bending links? How did that go?
I would do a search for the rigs done with the Sumo axles. It's not as much a "MOD" as much as it is a major change. Everything is custom from the drive line lengthening, links, geometry, and then choice of motor, esc, and everything to make it all work together. It won't make it "a little" faster...it will be A LOT faster and not really even have crawler ability anymore. Don't get me wrong...it's a fun rig but totally different.

As for bending links, if it is the stock links I heat them at the point of bend with a lighter or butane torch. Once bent to the right angle quickly cool them with water and they stay bent. Just be careful to not effect the wheel travel. If you bend one wrong it will bind on the ball stud and make the rig stiff or not even cycle correctly.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Chevy,
Did you use the hr beadlocks with the miclaws? if so on what rig and how did you stop the rubbing?
I did but they went on a custom built rig, I didn't have any rubbing problems with the way the link setup was.

If the sumo axles are geared right you will still have crawlability & great wheel speed for when you need that extra bump

check out this thread & vid on page 2 post #37:
Micro Wraith Axles
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miclaw questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miclaw tires on RC4WD beadlocks? agent00111 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 04-27-2012 08:40 PM
Miclaw tires andyms Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 09-08-2011 05:06 PM
Rcmart and Miclaw tires? Midlife Crisis Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 06-12-2011 01:35 PM
Miclaw on vertex install lube Elastokinematic Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 0 05-15-2011 08:46 PM