Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Lane's Micro Build - Part 2 (pic heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #1

Default Lane's Micro Build - Part 2 (pic heavy)

Hey guys, long time no see! I've had a lot going on lately, including a 2500-mile move from UT to NY (upstate) and haven't had much time for any hobbies. I finally got a bit of time to do some work on the crawler, but I realized I didn't actually want a crawler...

This is a continuation of my previous thread: Lane's Micro-build!! (Pics!)

Onto the pics!

Some of you may remember the coat-hanger tube chassis that I started to build a few years ago. Well never fear, because I haven't forgotten.

"Wait," you say, "those don't look like Losi axles!"

And you would be right. They came from this guy:

Poor thing didn't make it 10 minutes out of the box before I methodically deconstructed it entirely for the axles. Totally worth the single Benjamin to get the whole truck just for the axles.

My goal is to build this:

Now I need a 1:24 1973 Plymouth Road Runner body. And some more batteries, as my daughter (same one who destroyed my original ESC ) and I toasted my one remaining lipo it while "testing" the capabilities of the Losi trans and Sumo axles. Also some sturdy but light metal plate...

Stay tuned...
Lka1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Lane's Micro Build - Part 2 (pic heavy)

Nice little build, I used to have a 72' Roadrunner back in the day, miss that car.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Update:

Been busy with work and home life, but I've put a bit of work into the car. I changed direction with the build yet again, the Road Runner has been put on the back burner for now so I can focus my efforts on the coat-hanger tube chassis that I have been building.

I found the stance that I wanted.

After much trial and error, I finally figured out how to mount the links. Rear is a homebrew three-link, but I will probably change it to a 4-link sooner or later.

All mounted up! Electronics crammed inside for test driving. Still need to extend the front driveshaft.

Front driveshaft extended and installed. Electronics hotglued into place. Ready to rock and roll! Banana for scale.

I experimented with different gearing. The stock motor still had the 9t brass gear and transmission with the aluminum 56t spur, from a previous mod, and I liked that the best. Then tonight, as my wife and I were driving it around the living room, the motor overheated and started smoking. Oops. I thought about ordering another motor from Danally, but i remembered someone here did a brushless mod. Looking into it, thinking of going that route now.

More to come...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #4

Some pics...

I rotated the knuckles back a bit to give it some caster, the thing was getting squirrelly at speed. Has the added "bonus" of putting the servo in the way of the suspension...

Flex is okay. The front can go higher, but the servo is in the way.

Ground clearance...Well, there are no springs on it at the moment. Will figure it out later.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Lka1988; 02-16-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Lane's Micro Build - Part 2 (pic heavy) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lane's Micro-build!! (Pics!) Lka1988 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 32 05-20-2014 03:24 PM