Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Differential Hardware Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Differential Hardware Problem

Hey y'all,

So I went to install my new front locker tonight and I had problems removing some of the eight teensy tiny screws that hold the gear/diff assembly together. I managed to strip one of them and it actually looks like the heads of two screws were already broken! I guess they broke them during assembly at the factory!

I'll be ordering a new gear/diff assembly, but does anyone know what size screws I need? They're panheads that are exceptionally small....like 2-56 or smaller. I had to reassemble it all lacking hardware and I couldn't even put the metal locker on one side of the front axle. It'll have to suffice since I have a comp tomorrow.

Does anyone know what kind of hardware I'll need for this assembly?

Thanks!
Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Here's a pic from the Losi site that is supposed to be the gear/diff assembly:

Looks like it's a photo of an open differential used on Losi's other 1/18th scale trucks. I guess they share some parts?

Tommy
Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

yeah u can get a mlst raplacement spyder gear set for liek 7 bucks butt u wont have a locked diff the mrcs come with plastic lockers pre installed
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sure, but it appears that the open and locked diffs may share common parts and I could install my metal lockers into the open gear housing of this one. You would just leave out the spider gears for the open diff and install the lockers.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

what parts stripped? i had a problem with my mlst i stripped out the screws that were in the houseing it self can u take a pic of whats actually stripped? case if im right the mrc instead of spyder gears has a solid plsatic peice instead of the gears them selves. but if i can see what actually stripped out i might be able to help out more but if u stripped out where the screws go into the metal parts i think ull ither have to drill them out and retap them but i dunno at this point im tired and i think im rambeling lol
Old 12-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Two screw heads were broken off in one side of the metal housing alont with one stripped screw head that I caused. The other side's screws all came out fine. So basically I want to buy a new gear/diff housing because I don't want to worry about drilling and tapping that dinky piece. But I also need the hardware and I don't know the size.

I'd grab some pics, but I had to put it back together so I could compete tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

i understand now yeah i had the same problem >_< good luck tomarrow let us know how u do. i have considered replaseing everythhing with small metric alans but those woudl be just as dinky the only real problem i have foudn with these diffs thus farrun some thick diff greese for the day and u shoudl hopefully be ok i think haha
Old 12-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Fyi..........
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote