Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: HR Aluminum Spool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HR Aluminum Spool

Does this aluminum diff. spool from HR replace the stock plastic differential locker? In other words can I use this instead of the metal locker from Losi? (Part # LOSB1433) Just want to make sure, anybody try these yet? Thanks.

Losi Steel Locker (Part# LOSB1433)

RoCk SkuLLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

well the losi are steel i beleave so they will be much stronger then the alum hr ones the hr ones could be prone to warping like the stock axial ones but it could also take a while to do so it could work fine
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
RC Axle Master

The losi steel work great and they hold the axles alot thighter then the plastic. I also was afraid that the aluminum would wear alot quicker then the steel lockers.
LetsHandleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I went with the HR's. It's difficult for me to get any Losi parts in Iraq, so I deal with Liquid RC.
Anywho's, I just got mine last night and I will have them installed in a day or two. Aluminum may not be steel but it's got to be better than plastic!
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsHandleit View Post
The losi steel work great and they hold the axles alot thighter then the plastic. I also was afraid that the aluminum would wear alot quicker then the steel lockers.

My homebrew aluminum lockers are holding up fine. No sign of wear after a few weeks of hard use. See this thread:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...78#post1464678
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'm currently installing the lockers now... I'm also installing a set of aluminum driveshafts.
I gotta tell you, I'm impressed with the machine work of these aftermarket parts. I'm also impressed with the ring gear/housing of the steel Losi component and the pinion gear, BUT... I'm very dissapointed with the small (1mm?, .5mm?) hex screws. For the first time I'm all over this kit replacing hex's with cross tip screws. The little "grub screws" are kicking my butt.
I'm also noticing some gear lash with the pinion/ring, meaning something isn't sitting just right, but I should be able to work that out with some pinion washers.

All that said, these lockers look like they will really work out nicely.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well, about 4 hours later I got the lockers installed.
Losi... Please don't use loctite on such tiny screws! You know we are going to replace plastic lockers!
Luckily I have 2 MRC's so I had to scavenge a couple of parts. I had to actually cut off two u joint housings because I coudn't get the set screws out.
But, I got it all complete and ran the truck thru a battery.
I was quite pleased, all aluminum driveline. It was oddly smooth and actually, I felt like it was performing much better on my little test pile. I'd swear the throttle was more responsive.
Perhaps I just wanted to believe it because I almost doubled the cost of my investment...
Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
TN State Champ 11,12,13

How are you liking those alum drive shafts? Did they install easier than the lockers. I have a set of the lockers ordered. What was the hardest part of installing them? Any suggestions for install?
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

The drive shafts are cool, fully rebuildable but I'll probably never need to.
They have a smaller diameter drive shaft, but a much beefier "u joint". may help reduce hang ups, may not. I'll need more time.
The actual install is a breeze. It's the tiny screws that are a pain.
My recommendations?
*High quality tiny screw drivers
*high quality hardened hex keys
*mini torch for heating up the Loctite (You will melt the plastic too, I'm sure.)
Old 12-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a 2 beer minimum project.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
*mini torch for heating up the Loctite (You will melt the plastic too, I'm sure.)
You might try holding a soldering iron to the head of the screw for a few seconds, rather than the torch. You'll probably still melt the plastic a bit, but there is a much better chance of it being reusable. I have had good luck releasing loctite on small fasteners with this method.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote