Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Mini Slignshot Build = Complete Failure =/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #1

Default Mini Slignshot Build = Complete Failure =/

Ok, I need some help badly.

I got determined to build this thing and I ordered the kit.

Lets just say it didn't work out so well.

My upper links have almost constant contact with my Mini Late Shocks, and I have tried everything conceivable to make them stop, but no configuration changes the end results.

I've lost a LOT of articulation with this chassis installed, so much so that I'm not sure it will even crawl anymore.

The links contact the suspension, and then the chassis articulates, but the axles stop at like 20-30 degrees.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know, I'm stuck in the middle of the build =/.
NoDecoDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

One thing, post some pics
Maybe then we are able to help you bud
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Take a look here...: SLOB's Losi DNA MRC (aka The Fat Sausage)

He got things to work just fine. He's posted a ton of pictures for your reference.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #4

Just shot some pics - uploading now, will be here in just a sec.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #5

I built mine based on his.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #6

Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Here ya go
Here is my build thread
its pretty in depth in waht I did and this thing works beautifully
A side note you will lose articulation with set up. And with this set up that is a very good thing to happen because stock they have way way to much.
Mini Slingshot build (pic heavy)
feel free to ask questions
swisherteets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yes stock is too much articulation...90 is too much.

40-50 degrees is plenty.

You could mount the tops of the shocks more inside (using more spacers) that would help some.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Don't worry it'll work out. I did have to use the bent rod ends from the AX-10 kit that mount to your axles. I put those on all four of the axle plates to give me some more outwards movement of the upper links. I will put up a photo in a minute or so.

First is an away picture to get a reference of where I put the bent rod ends.

Next is the close up of where I put the bent rod ends. Closest hole to the chassis on the axle plate.

I hope this helps out a little. I did have the same problems when I put mine together. Post up when you get it up and running, good luck. SLOB

Last edited by SLOB; 01-08-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
SLOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisherteets View Post
Here ya go
Here is my build thread
its pretty in depth in waht I did and this thing works beautifully
A side note you will lose articulation with set up. And with this set up that is a very good thing to happen because stock they have way way to much.
Mini Slingshot build (pic heavy)
feel free to ask questions
Swisher, how are your front lower links and suspension mounted?

Are you using the stock factory axle mounting locations? I can't tell from the pics and I think thats my hold up.

It looks like you have th shock and lower link mounted together somehow?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

yea this is a trick I used with the stock one to lower the ride height and it worked out on this one that with the way my geometry was and the way I did cut the rods etc. that it worked out perfect to have both the lowers and the shocks mounted at the bottom mounting point together.
what you do is you just slide the shock end through a longer screw then line up your lower rod in its normal mounting position and screw the screw in. the shock is mounted on the outside of the mount position and it works great with the way I have it set up. I posted some better link mount pictures in my build thread and a little more info on things. hopefully it will help. just keep in mind that my build i did some work on the kit to get it that way. (namely the upper links)

Last edited by swisherteets; 01-08-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ok the SS can be a bit overwhelimg and It took me a few to get it worked out to work the way I wanted. First, you will use the stock lower suspension link and shock mounting location. Second get the axial offset links they are crazy good at helping with clearance issuses in the chassis. (God knows not all hobby shops will have or be able to get them for you) Horizon has them though in with a kit I beleive the part number is (AXI8000 05) or at horizon it is (AXI80005).

Now these are used to give you more room to work with in suspension travel. The upper suspension links usually mount the outside two holes on the outer most edges of the axle plates. The shocks as I said are mounted in the stock local in the axle and inboard on the chassis you may have to add some spacers(anything can work) I'm using some 1/10th shock travel limiters.

Now as far as your suspension travel you will have some reduced travel wtih this chassis but that in this case is good! THe front has soo much it falls down into holes your not going to want it to, and the rear with the three link has nasty torque twist( aka you climbing nice and steep and al the sudden one of your front tires lifts and things go down hill from there and usually on the roof).

If you have any indepth questions please feel free to PM I'd be happy to take any pics you need and post them for you!
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
RCC Addict

i had the same when i finished my slingshot, with help from a lot of knowledgeable members here and countless trips to the crawling park netted me good results and terrific handling. i have also used the axial angled links for the axle points since the straights do really hit the shocks, i inbounded my shocks and installed softer springs, tried all the holes till i got to articulation i wanted (height of a tire is what i was told)
take a gander at my build thread, dont hesitate to hit me up if you got questions bout it.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146944
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisherteets View Post
yea this is a trick I used with the stock one to lower the ride height and it worked out on this one that with the way my geometry was and the way I did cut the rods etc. that it worked out perfect to have both the lowers and the shocks mounted at the bottom mounting point together.
what you do is you just slide the shock end through a longer screw then line up your lower rod in its normal mounting position and screw the screw in. the shock is mounted on the outside of the mount position and it works great with the way I have it set up. I posted some better link mount pictures in my build thread and a little more info on things. hopefully it will help. just keep in mind that my build i did some work on the kit to get it that way. (namely the upper links)
Where the heck did you find a little diameter screw like that longer than the one that comes stock?

I have checked everywhere online.

Can you give up your trade secret?

--- War, how can you inbound the shocks and not have contact? I tried everything with the shocks inbound.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Just checking back on this thread.

You might have to find a good balance between using the stock hardware and using larger (Axial) rod ends to make it work. I have the stock rod ends on the chassis and the larger Axial rod ends on the axle plates.

You might also have to drill out some of the stock holes to fit the larger screws. I did for mine. I drilled out the axle plates and the chassis plates for larger screws.

Trying to help, hope it works out. SLOB

Last edited by SLOB; 01-08-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff. Where the hell are my pants?
SLOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I appologize I should have been more clear because of the minimal material on the axle mounting plates I used the stock link ends. I was going to drill it out and tap them to use 3mm hardware but that would have left little material.

I have drilled and tapped the chassis side upper link mounts. I currently have traxxas links with spacers mounted there. I should have my Axial links Monday WOOT!!
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDecoDiver View Post
Where the heck did you find a little diameter screw like that longer than the one that comes stock?

I have checked everywhere online.

Can you give up your trade secret?
Its top secret .....shhhhh

Ebay
they were actually to long, they were 2mm by 25 mm they actually touched the pumpkin when full length
I just ordered them way oversized in case i would need them somewhere else which i did >> I also used them on the skid plate to inboard my links.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

NoDeco...please get with me if the help these great guys have offered does not take care of ya. Don't worry too much about the lack of articulation till you have a chance to drive it...you'll quicky discover why we made it that way!

Thanks everyone for passing on your tips to get him going!

Don
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #19

Well, it's finished except for electronics and suspension top mounts.

Hobbytown had the long 2mm hardware, so I got the lower links and suspension hooked in, now I just need a few more 2-56 screws to mount the upper suspension part to the chassis kit.

I almost feel like the suspension isn't going to do much because of the articulation of the chassis, has anyone else noticed this? Like the mini late shocks are kinda just a decoration, lol.

I had to knock down my ATV's on the steering because the tires were touching the springs on the suspension.

I still wish I could figure out how you guys run the shocks inboard.

I think I would need a whole new links setup to run them inboard, there is just no way my current links/ends won't make contact.

But it's ok - I'm gonna drive it like this for a while after I get the suspension together tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

awsome I am glad it all got together for ya.
as far as the articulation trust me on this one the mini lates are the abo****e perfect size for what you need. they have the perfect amount of travel. As Don from DNA said above, you will not be disapointed.
enjoy and remember that it might still take some tweaking and adjustments to get it to run perfect.