Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: forward throttle trim not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #1

Default forward throttle trim not working

i had this truck for a couple weeks now. It worked fine right out of the box during that time
, but this morning i noticed the truck rolling backwards while running up an incline so I adjusted the forward throttle trim and to my surprise nothing happened except the normal buzzing sound that it makes. Adjusting the throttle trim for reverse works just fine, but for the forward motion nothing but the buzzing sound. I did noticed that I did move forward a couple of inches here and there on a level surface but that's about it.

Any ideas how to fix this problem...

Last edited by pcsourced; 07-15-2009 at 08:46 AM.
pcsourced is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

Try resetting up the ESC.

1. Turn on the transmitter and ESC. Press the setup button—both the RED and GREEN LEDs will come on.
  2. Pull the throttle trigger all the way back (full speed) and press the setup button once—only the GREEN LED will come on.
  3. Push the throttle trigger full forward (brake/reverse) and push the setup button once—only the RED LED will come on.
  4. Let the throttle trigger return to the neutral (center) position and press the setup button once more to save the program and exit setup mode—only the GREEN LED will be on.
Notes:
  • If the receiver does not receive a signal from the Transmitter, the ESC will not enter the Program mode.
  • While in Program mode, the motor will not run.
  • If the setup button is not pressed for 20 seconds while in the Program mode, the ESC will exit the Program mode and the data will be saved.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #3

the trigger of the pistol controller works fine, its the throttle trim that doesn't work properly. I'm just afraid that resetting the ESC is going to give me more problems as i've been reading on other posts.

Also, any ideas why something like this occurred in the first place??
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
RCC Addict

when resetting the esc make sure to first center your throttle trim on your radio
rsetting the esc wont give you more problems
think of it as rebooting your computer
if there is a problem w/ the trim knob a wire may have just gotten loose on the pot.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
when resetting the esc make sure to first center your throttle trim on your radio
rsetting the esc wont give you more problems
think of it as rebooting your computer
if there is a problem w/ the trim knob a wire may have just gotten loose on the pot.

I'll try this out, but any ideas why something like this happened in the first place. I would hate to reset my ESC everytime something like this happens.

the loose wire problem on the trim knob may be a possibility because I did drop the controller once. But it worked fine after that until now. But for a $300 RC car, I expect the controller to be more durable.

but looking at the bottom of the box the crawler came in, it says its made in china...

sigh....
Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsourced View Post
I'll try this out, but any ideas why something like this happened in the first place. I would hate to reset my ESC everytime something like this happens.

the loose wire problem on the trim knob may be a possibility because I did drop the controller once. But it worked fine after that until now. But for a $200 RC car, I expect the controller to be more durable.

but looking at the bottom of the box the crawler came in, it says its made in china...

sigh....

Deep breath. You're not even sure what the problem is yet, so don't be quick to bash the product. Dropping any kind of electronic device that is designed to be held in the hand is never a good thing. We don't do this with our cell phones or laptops, so we can't expect more from RC controllers - the car is what hits the rocks.
Reset the ESC and take it from there (be sure all trims are at zero when you do this).

Last edited by JeepinOR; 07-16-2009 at 12:20 AM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
the loose wire problem on the trim knob may be a possibility because I did drop the controller once. But it worked fine after that until now. But for a $300 RC car, I expect the controller to be more durable.

sigh....
welcome to the hobby
trust me, for a relativly capable crawler the rtr losi mrc is a steal.
there are couple of guys in this forum that have invested up to and past a grand on these mini's

i take it you're fairly new to the hobby?
as seasoned veterans know, ready to run electronics are usually the first to hit the bottom of a trash bin.
just a heads up; you might want to start looking into threads about an aftermarket servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
Deep breath. You're not even sure what the problem is yet, so don't be quick to bash the product. Dropping any kind of electronic device that is designed to be held in the hand is never a good thing. We don't do this with our cell phones or laptops, so we can't expect more from RC controllers - the car is what hits the rocks.
Reset the ESC and take it from there (be sure all trims are at zero when you do this).
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
welcome to the hobby
trust me, for a relativly capable crawler the rtr losi mrc is a steal.
there are couple of guys in this forum that have invested up to and past a grand on these mini's

i take it you're fairly new to the hobby?
as seasoned veterans know, ready to run electronics are usually the first to hit the bottom of a trash bin.
just a heads up; you might want to start looking into threads about an aftermarket servos

Yes, i'm new to the hobby. I bought this truck for both me and my son to play with. so you think it may be the servo related to the throttle trim knob. I'll look into that.

I just want to know if anyone else had a problem like mine. I've still haven't tried resettng the ESC. I'll try that first. then I'll investigate with my limited knowledge on RC stuff to see if the servo connected to the throttle trim knob is giving me problems. Aren't losi servos good??
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #9

well...i reset the ESC and the problem is still there. So I guess the next step is the contact horizon hobby and have them service this truck. What a hassle!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The wait may suck, but you should be set with that car being so new.
By any chance, have you tried good, fresh batteries in the Tx? It may not help in this case, but those controllers are known for doing screwy things when the batteries are starting to die. (I've also read that they can be kind of picky about battery types. I have great luck with Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables.)
Good luck, man.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 07-16-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Definatly give some new batts a try.
I stick with sanyo 2700mah rechargables... Seems to be about the best AA on the market.

Have you tried to wiggle the knob some, in every direction, pulling it out and pushing it in while turning it... if its a broken, or loose contact then that could solve your problem right there.

Also, you say that the truck just all the sudden started acting up...? by any chance did you get it wet...?
Does it drive forward at all, or only in reverse?

Try to switch the throttle switch on the top of the radio to the reverse setting and see if when you push the trigger forward (as you would to drive in reverse) if the truck moves forward...

let me know how that round of testing goes...
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #12

i tried everything....reset the ESC. Batteries in the transmitter are new so that's not an issue. Batteries in the truck are stock and fully charged. I also tried the throttle switch on the top of the radio to the reverse setting. The throttle trim just does not work in the clockwise direction. This truck has been kept indoors only and not abused. Its been five days since i emailed horizon hobby with my problem and still no response by them. I think this truck has a thirty day waranty and that time is coming up really fast.

I'm very disappointed that my first real expensive RC truck is no different in terms of realibility than the ones should in toys r us!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm very disappointed that my first real expensive RC truck is no different in terms of realibility than the ones should in toys r us!
Sorry to hear yours is an exception.
You might try calling Horizon; definitely stay on it (and be careful not to drop the next Tx ;)).

Last edited by JeepinOR; 07-19-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Well, not to rain on your parade or nothing, but horizon is gonna tell you something thats really gonna piss you off about the warranty.

They say that the truck is only warratied until you take it out of the box. The second you remove it from its packaging all bets are off.

However, they will attempt to fix whatever problem that you have. You will absolutely have to call them. I tried the e-mail thing, and after about a month with no response i gave up and used the phone. It sucks, but thats the way it is.

Good luck tho
Old 07-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcolor View Post
Well, not to rain on your parade or nothing, but horizon is gonna tell you something thats really gonna piss you off about the warranty.

They say that the truck is only warratied until you take it out of the box. The second you remove it from its packaging all bets are off.

However, they will attempt to fix whatever problem that you have. You will absolutely have to call them. I tried the e-mail thing, and after about a month with no response i gave up and used the phone. It sucks, but thats the way it is.

Good luck tho
That's retarded....are you saying that the warranty is expired once the truck is removed from the box?!? Or does it countdown from the date of purchase??

What do you mean by attempting to fix the problem? In order for them to fix the problem, I have to ship the truck to them. If they think they can fix this problem over the phone they are mistaken. Something is wrong electronically. I don't want them to attempt to fix the problem, I want them to fix it.

Also, when I called the horizonhobby support telephone number their automated call center gave me the option of leaving my telephone number with them to call me back at a later time when their support representative.

Update. They actually called me back! They are sending me a replacement transmitter! They believe its the turn dial that is defective! They don't even want the old one back. They told me to throw the old one in the garbage.

I'll keep everyone updated!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That's retarded....are you saying that the warranty is expired once the truck is removed from the box?!? Or does it countdown from the date of purchase??

Well, according to horizon hobbies, the MRC is only warrantied up until it is removed from the package. Once you take it out, you own it, and they are not responsible for anything that breaks. Supposedly, they say, that it is written clearly into the warranty information in the owners manual... kinda shitty, but thats the way it is

What do you mean by attempting to fix the problem? In order for them to fix the problem, I have to ship the truck to them. If they think they can fix this problem over the phone they are mistaken. Something is wrong electronically. I don't want them to attempt to fix the problem, I want them to fix it.

You wont have to ship the whole truck back, you will have to remove the part thats broken, and ship that back. They will walk you through a troubleshooting process on the phone so that you send in the right part.

Also, when I called the horizonhobby support telephone number their automated call center gave me the option of leaving my telephone number with them to call me back at a later time when their support representative.

Just wait for a rep... no matter how long it takes. They wont ever get back to you. Trust me. They do a decent job of trying to help you with your problem IF you can ever get in touch with them. Just sit on hold for about 20 to 30 minutes and someone will eventually answer.

Update. They actually called me back! They are sending me a replacement transmitter! They believe its the turn dial that is defective! They don't even want the old one back. They told me to throw the old one in the garbage.

OMG... i hate you dude. I went through the whole process of typing this, and then, at the bottom you tell me they already called you back. You suck. LOL, no seriously, glad they helped you out!

Darryl
Old 07-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Nice.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #18

so I got the new radio in the mail yesterday. Binded the new radio to the losi mrc....and the same problem! The throttle trim just will not work properly in the clockwise direction. I contacted horizon hobby and they told me to send the whole truck+the two radios+the sales receipt back to them. So I'm off to the post office....i hope they just send me a new one. Its a nice truck perfect for my son because its not too fast and perfect size for indoor play. Just about crawls over all the toys that he places in front of the truck. He even made it crawl over his baby brother, but he got a earful for doing that! LOL!

Last edited by pcsourced; 07-28-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #19

i think it may either be a receiver or ESC problem. The only servos are the ones for the front wheels for steering. Those were working fine.

Here my theory:

When I turn the throttle trim in the clockwise direction. A signal is sent to the receiver on the truck. That receiver then processes this signal and relays it to the ESC for the main drive motor to run. I don't think there are servos controlling the speed of the main drive motor. Its done through the ESC.

But then again it may be something totally different because my theories may be wrong.

I asked the hobby horizon repair guys to write down the problem and ship it back with the truck.

Last edited by pcsourced; 08-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

It must be a bad Rx...?

You--and your son!--will like the MRC once you get this bad apple out of the mix. Sucks that you have to wait again, though, of course...